News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

^ If they were serious about doing something to relieve congestion, they should be starting with a much wider scope (which IMHO should include another look building at least part of the Illiana) and then narrowi hings down to ITS/flex lane options.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 23, 2021, 10:07:37 PM
^ If they were serious about doing something to relieve congestion, they should be starting with a much wider scope (which IMHO should include another look building at least part of the Illiana) and then narrowi hings down to ITS/flex lane options.

Agree with this 100 percent. The Illiana (and the endpoints set before cancellation) was the best out to get pressure off the major NWI expressways. This is a short-term solution that may cause more problems than what it's trying to solve. We'll see what input (if any) they get from the public.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

JoePCool14

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on July 23, 2021, 07:20:25 PM
In a collaboration between IDOT and INDOT, a study will soon be underway to find methods of improving traffic flow along I-80/94 from Illinois 394 to I-65. The "FlexRoad Project"  is designed to find ways to alleviate congestion and reduce crashes along the oft-busy stretch. Potential plans being explored include hard shoulder running (opening up the shoulders to traffic during peak traffic hours), ramp metering (traffic signals along ramp entrances, designed to keep traffic in queue), variable speed limit signage, and additional VMS signage to warn drivers of congestion (similar to the system now used on the Jane Addams Tollway between O'Hare and Elgin). Public meetings will be held for further input on this upcoming project. For more information, head to www.indianaflexroad.com.

This really seems like band-aid fixing on top of something that's just a complete abomination. Aside from something radical like a double-decker freeway with something like 10 lanes in each direction coming along, this road's congestion will never be alleviated. The only real solution is a southern freeway bypass, but you all already know that.

Shoulder running might make an improvement, but taking away the shoulder on such a large road also sounds like a bad idea. Ramp metering should be a no-brainer on such a busy stretch of urban-like Interstate. And variable speed limits won't do a darned thing.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 24, 2021, 12:21:38 AM
In a collaboration between IDOT and INDOT, a study will soon be underway to find methods of improving traffic flow along I-80/94 from Illinois 394 to I-65. The "FlexRoad Project"  is designed to find ways to alleviate congestion and reduce crashes along the oft-busy stretch. Potential plans being explored include hard shoulder running (opening up the shoulders to traffic during peak traffic hours), ramp metering (traffic signals along ramp entrances, designed to keep traffic in queue), variable speed limit signage, and additional VMS signage to warn drivers of congestion (similar to the system now used on the Jane Addams Tollway between O'Hare and Elgin). Public meetings will be held for further input on this upcoming project. For more information, head to www.indianaflexroad.com.

This really seems like band-aid fixing on top of something that's just a complete abomination. Aside from something radical like a double-decker freeway with something like 10 lanes in each direction coming along, this road's congestion will never be alleviated. The only real solution is a southern freeway bypass, but you all already know that.

Shoulder running might make an improvement, but taking away the shoulder on such a large road also sounds like a bad idea. Ramp metering should be a no-brainer on such a busy stretch of urban-like Interstate. And variable speed limits won't do a darned thing.

Or how about raising the speed limit to 60-65 mph?  :hmmm:

JoePCool14

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on July 24, 2021, 03:44:59 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 24, 2021, 12:21:38 AM

I'm pretty sure most people already go that speed on that section. Well... provided there isn't any traffic.

JREwing78

Literally all that would do is reduce the severity of whatever speeding tickets are handed out. That 55 mph limit is universally ignored.

silverback1065

Quote from: JREwing78 on July 24, 2021, 04:01:15 PM

Literally all that would do is reduce the severity of whatever speeding tickets are handed out. That 55 mph limit is universally ignored.

literally NO ONE goes 55 on Indiana interstates. whenever you see 55 on an interstate in indiana, please go 70 instead.  :-D

SkyPesos

I've seen no one go 55 mph on I-465 before. Especially in some of the repaved and straight sections, where 70-75 mph is common.

ITB

Came across an INDOT update/presentation detailing its major projects delivery for the next few years. It's from June 25, 2021, so it's recent. Six major projects are described:

• I-69/I-465 Northeast; interchange reconstruction
• Ohio River Crossing (ORX)
• I-465/I-895 Northwest; interchange reconstruction
• I-65; safety and efficiency improvements
• I-70; added travel lanes east of I-465 in Hancock County (Greenfield)
• I-70; added travel lanes in Wayne County (Richmond)

The update/presentation can be found here.

I-55

Quote from: ITB on July 25, 2021, 06:00:44 PM
Came across an INDOT update/presentation detailing its major projects delivery for the next few years. It's from June 25, 2021, so it's recent. Six major projects are described:

- I-69/I-465 Northeast; interchange reconstruction
- Ohio River Crossing (ORX)
- I-465/I-895 Northwest; interchange reconstruction
- I-65; safety and efficiency improvements
- I-70; added travel lanes east of I-465 in Hancock County (Greenfield)
- I-70; added travel lanes in Wayne County (Richmond)

As long as the 465/865 interchange carries 3 lanes each way on 465 after construction.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: I-55 on July 25, 2021, 08:55:45 PM

As long as the 465/865 interchange carries 3 lanes each way on 465 after construction.

Actually, it's going to be four lanes plus one to two auxiliary lanes each way.

silverback1065

I can provide some further detail to some of these projects.

465 NW will widen and reconstruct 465 from 86th st to US 31, it will include 4 through lanes in each direction (plus aux lanes), the removal of the left exits for 865 and a completely new interchange for US 421. the US 31 interchange may be slightly altered too.

the 2 70 projects will be:

Mt. Comfort Rd to SR 9 6 lanes

SR 1 to Ohio 6 lanes.

I've also heard rumors about 6 laning it from Illinois to somewhere east of terre haute.

I-55

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on July 25, 2021, 08:58:47 PM
Quote from: I-55 on July 25, 2021, 08:55:45 PM

Actually, it's going to be four lanes plus one to two auxiliary lanes each way.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

tdindy88

I was interested in seeing the I-65 plans for the southern part of Indianapolis between the South Split and I-465. It doesn't say what the lane situation would be but auxiliary lanes in between the exits would certainly be welcomed there. That may also be why they haven't gotten rid of the older button copy signs along that highway.

I knew about the I-70 in Greenfield part but I had no idea about the plans for I-70 in Wayne County. That is a busy stretch of roadway (as is all of I-70.)  I was thinking at some point they'd have to make the part around Richmond from say Centerville east to the state line six lanes. So it's neat to see them actually planning on widening the interstate through the whole county. As far as the rest of I-70 in Indiana is concerned I would guess that I-70 around Terre Haute wouldn't be too far down the road either. It could easily use the extra lane from the state line to east of 40/46/641.

silverback1065

i like that 465/69 will be concrete!

JoePCool14

Great news about the 465/865 interchange improvements! The road to a fully 8-lane beltway continues.

jhuntin1

Great news for northwestern and northeastern Indy, but once again INDOT pays no attention to the south side of I-465. It's going to be expensive, but something has got to be done to widen it. The north split shutdown should make it obvious to anyone paying attention. I keep beating the same drum here but I drive it almost every day.

tdindy88

I remember something on the INDOT website a year or so ago that featured plans for I-465 from I-70 to I-65 on the south side, specifically the section that was not a part of the I-69 project itself (from Mann Road to US 31.) Since then I've seen the website disappear. Now it appears under the I-69 Finish Line website and their plans. According to that site I-465 from I-70 to I-65 will be widened to eight lanes with four in each direction with some bridges reconstructed. I-465 from the new I-69 interchange to I-70 on the west side will be eight lanes with the added lane in the median of that interstate. What I'm not entirely sure is how they will do I-465 from the new I-69 interchange to I-65. The old website had plans that didn't specifically include eight mainline lanes but added auxiliary lanes in between the the exits. I've been trying to find something that specifically shows what is planned in terms of lane configuration on that stretch of roadway.

All of that said, I don't believe they are planning anything for a while on I-465 from I-65 to I-70 on the east side. INDOT wanting to install new traffic management items along that stretch of road (such as ramp meters) seems to tell me that they have no appetite for widening that highway until everything else is probably done first.

silverback1065

Quote from: jhuntin1 on July 25, 2021, 11:26:29 PM
Great news for northwestern and northeastern Indy, but once again INDOT pays no attention to the south side of I-465. It's going to be expensive, but something has got to be done to widen it. The north split shutdown should make it obvious to anyone paying attention. I keep beating the same drum here but I drive it almost every day.

465 will be 8 lanes from 70 to 65 on the sw side of town as part of the new 69 interchange down there. idk why they arent just widening from 70 to 70 but they arent. the se side will see things like variable speed limits that no one will pay attention to and ramp meters.

I-55

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 26, 2021, 09:28:17 AM
Quote from: jhuntin1 on July 25, 2021, 11:26:29 PM

465 will be 8 lanes from 70 to 65 on the sw side of town as part of the new 69 interchange down there. idk why they arent just widening from 70 to 70 but they arent. the se side will see things like variable speed limits that no one will pay attention to and ramp meters.

Variable speed limits that only go DOWN from 55, all the way to 40 mph instead of UP. There is no situation where lowering the speed limit on 465 will ever change anything.

sprjus4

If the variable speed limit implementation was permitted to increase to 65 mph during times of congestion free flow, I feel like it would have more success.

Retaining the artificial 55 mph speed limit will not do anything. The sign will say 40 mph, people will still go 60+ mph when it's moving.

NWI_Irish96

As someone who drives this road frequently and can literally see it out my window, I do think raising the speed limit would help a little bit. Not many people go the speed limit, but those that do force the faster traffic farther left by one lane, which contributes to the congesting. You end up with most of the trucks in the 2nd/3rd lanes as opposed to the 1st/2nd lanes because of those few cars that are going 50-55.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

sprjus4

Agreed. Artificially low limits create hazards between those following the limit (55 mph) and those traveling a reasonable speed (65-75 mph) for the roadway design. A more appropriate limit, likely 65 mph on an urban freeway in Indiana, would lead to more compliance.

Indiana increased a bunch of urban limits in the southern part of the state towards Louisville, all from 55 mph to 65 mph, compliance greatly increased and actual speeds did not change that much. Why can't they do that towards Chicago, the Indianapolis area, and that god-forsaken 55 mph zone on I-69 through Bloomington?

JoePCool14

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 26, 2021, 07:06:54 PM
Agreed. Artificially low limits create hazards between those following the limit (55 mph) and those traveling a reasonable speed (65-75 mph) for the roadway design. A more appropriate limit, likely 65 mph on an urban freeway in Indiana, would lead to more compliance.

Indiana increased a bunch of urban limits in the southern part of the state towards Louisville, all from 55 mph to 65 mph, compliance greatly increased and actual speeds did not change that much. Why can't they do that towards Chicago, the Indianapolis area, and that god-forsaken 55 mph zone on I-69 through Bloomington?

Because there are too many people who still think higher speed limits equal millions of deaths.

Speed limit increase to 65 would be great on 465.

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 26, 2021, 06:56:41 PM

As someone who drives this road frequently and can literally see it out my window, I do think raising the speed limit would help a little bit. Not many people go the speed limit, but those that do force the faster traffic farther left by one lane, which contributes to the congesting. You end up with most of the trucks in the 2nd/3rd lanes as opposed to the 1st/2nd lanes because of those few cars that are going 50-55.
Did you read the star article on this? 97% of people go way over 55

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.