News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-55

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 18, 2021, 10:34:48 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on August 18, 2021, 10:21:16 PM
Unrelated to above, but any reason why the middle lane at the 865 exit from WB I-465 isn't an option lane? Especially with the traffic getting onto 865 (and eventually NB 65), it seems so inefficient forcing all the traffic shift to the single lane on the left, and the second lane reappearing after the gore point.

It's because they want that crappy loop ramp to have it's own lane  :-D. but in about 8ish yrs that entire interchange will be nice, 2 lanes coming in and out all on the right!

And because they wanted I-465 to maintain its own 2 lanes through the junction without sharing. As mentioned, things will be improving anyway.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Great Lakes Roads

silverback1065

The rethinkers are back, this time trying to get their plans out for any future construction downtown. I honestly support this idea, but am certain it will never happen. INDOT would never pay the money for it and Indy is permanently broke when it comes to roads. I also don't trust their cost estimate either. https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/transportation/2021/08/23/indianapolis-traffic-i-65-70-underground-rethink-coalition-cost/8185186002/

I've heard the north leg may get reconstructed eventually, possibly up to 38th st. but I bet it's a replace in kind. I haven't heard any rumors about the south leg and split. Not a fan of the exits on that leg, that area is already below grade, could cap it like in Columbus ohio

webny99

Random question, what is the progress on the six-laning of I-65 from north of Indy to Merrillville?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on August 23, 2021, 09:35:30 PM
Random question, what is the progress on the six-laning of I-65 from north of Indy to Merrillville?

I-865 to IN 32 is done.
IN 32 to IN 47 is in progress.
IN 47 to IN 38 still 4 lanes.
IN 38 to IN 25 is done.
IN 25 to IN 43 is in progress.
IN 43 to IN 2 is still 4 lanes.
IN 2 to US 30 is done.

IN 43 to IN is the longest section that's still 4 lanes with no work ongoing. Hopefully, instead of working from either end, their next section is in the middle, as that would cut down the most on the amount of time people get stuck behind trucks in the left lane.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 24, 2021, 07:23:45 AM
I-865 to IN 32 is done.
IN 38 to IN 25 is done.
IN 2 to US 30 is done.

IN 43 to IN is the longest section that's still 4 lanes with no work ongoing. Hopefully, instead of working from either end, their next section is in the middle, as that would cut down the most on the amount of time people get stuck behind trucks in the left lane.

OK, so it's getting there other than the 60-mile stretch in the middle.

Interesting thought about doing a middle section next, although it does seem more likely based on the traffic volumes that they'll work from either end. It also might make sense to finish Lebanon to Lafayette first (which would complete everything from Indy to Lafayette) before chipping away at the final stretch.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on August 24, 2021, 10:26:36 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on August 24, 2021, 07:23:45 AM
I-865 to IN 32 is done.
IN 38 to IN 25 is done.
IN 2 to US 30 is done.

OK, so it's getting there other than the 60-mile stretch in the middle.

Interesting thought about doing a middle section next, although it does seem more likely based on the traffic volumes that they'll work from either end. It also might make sense to finish Lebanon to Lafayette first (which would complete everything from Indy to Lafayette) before chipping away at the final stretch.

Yeah, I think they'll end up doing IN 47 to IN 38 next, and also probably IN 44 to IN 46 south of Indy.

FixThe74Sign

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 23, 2021, 08:12:28 PM
The rethinkers are back, this time trying to get their plans out for any future construction downtown. I honestly support this idea, but am certain it will never happen. INDOT would never pay the money for it and Indy is permanently broke when it comes to roads. I also don't trust their cost estimate either. https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/transportation/2021/08/23/indianapolis-traffic-i-65-70-underground-rethink-coalition-cost/8185186002/

I've heard the north leg may get reconstructed eventually, possibly up to 38th st. but I bet it's a replace in kind. I haven't heard any rumors about the south leg and split. Not a fan of the exits on that leg, that area is already below grade, could cap it like in Columbus ohio

I'm not sure where they are getting the 2.3 Billion "as is" reconstruction cost since the arguably biggest and most complicated section is being redone now at only 280 million.

2trailertrucker

The I-70 exit 66 signs are being changed To Quaker Blvd! No Plainfield from the signs I have seen getting ready to be installed.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on August 25, 2021, 06:39:36 AM
The I-70 exit 66 signs are being changed To Quaker Blvd! No Plainfield from the signs I have seen getting ready to be installed.
Took INDOT long enough. They still need to change the distance sign just west of Downtown Indianapolis, still says SR 267.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

paulthemapguy

That stupid quirk of deleting SR267 around Plainfield screwed up my Indiana state route collection...I was supposed to have a complete collection of one photo for every state highway in Indiana, but the removal of SR267 along my route left SR267 as the one remaining hole in my collection...I eventually just got a SR267 photo along I-65 some months later lol.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 25, 2021, 11:33:36 AM
That stupid quirk of deleting SR267 around Plainfield screwed up my Indiana state route collection...I was supposed to have a complete collection of one photo for every state highway in Indiana, but the removal of SR267 along my route left SR267 as the one remaining hole in my collection...I eventually just got a SR267 photo along I-65 some months later lol.
That segment may not be around for long either.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

JREwing78

Is it worth it to Indianapolis (the city) to spend the difference to move it underground? Yes, in theory, they should make up for it in tax revenue, but they're effectively gambling that their up-front investment pans out.

The folks along US-30 and US-31 waiting for upgrades will throw a fit if INDOT pleads poverty for their needs, then dumps half a billion on "cosmetic" improvements in Indianapolis.

sprjus4

^ Not to mention, widening of I-65 between Louisville and Chicago which is sorely needed.

silverback1065

Quote from: JREwing78 on August 26, 2021, 08:25:38 PM

Is it worth it to Indianapolis (the city) to spend the difference to move it underground? Yes, in theory, they should make up for it in tax revenue, but they're effectively gambling that their up-front investment pans out.

The folks along US-30 and US-31 waiting for upgrades will throw a fit if INDOT pleads poverty for their needs, then dumps half a billion on "cosmetic" improvements in Indianapolis.
Trust me Indianapolis doesn't even have the money to pay for the roads it owns. There's 0 chance they would pay for this in any part. Some of indy's roads are so bad it's honestly embarrassing.
Plus I'm not even sure you can bury the north leg and tie into what's being built now and follow green book requirements.

silverback1065

get one of old sr 100?

paulthemapguy

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 27, 2021, 08:22:17 AM

get one of old sr 100?

I started the collection only about 6 years ago. The shield gallery is here, and the gallery of source photos is here.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

hockeyjohn

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 31, 2021, 12:57:25 PM

get one of old sr 100?

I started the collection only about 6 years ago. The shield gallery is here, and the gallery of source photos is here.

Fortunately you can probably still find how SR 100 was marked by Indiana in its final years.   After most of it was turned back in the 1970s, the State maintained the freeway section of Shadeland Ave. from I-465 to US-40 (Washington St.) into the 2000s.   It was un-signed except for these mile marker posts with the small, square 100 shield underneath the mile number such as this one on SB Shadeland Ave. near Brookville Rd.   This configuration is similar to how Indiana marks the mileage for roads with concurrent routings where the square shield indicates the route whose mileage is listed.   Haven't been down that way in a couple of years, but assume at least a few of them are still there.   The City of Indianapolis has generally not removed the INDOT mile marker posts when roads have been turned back unless there has been some major construction project that reconfigures the roadway.

silverback1065

Quote from: hockeyjohn on August 31, 2021, 03:59:31 PM

get one of old sr 100?

Fortunately you can probably still find how SR 100 was marked by Indiana in its final years.   After most of it was turned back in the 1970s, the State maintained the freeway section of Shadeland Ave. from I-465 to US-40 (Washington St.) into the 2000s.   It was un-signed except for these mile marker posts with the small, square 100 shield underneath the mile number such as this one on SB Shadeland Ave. near Brookville Rd.   This configuration is similar to how Indiana marks the mileage for roads with concurrent routings where the square shield indicates the route whose mileage is listed.   Haven't been down that way in a couple of years, but assume at least a few of them are still there.   The City of Indianapolis has generally not removed the INDOT mile marker posts when roads have been turned back unless there has been some major construction project that reconfigures the roadway.

Interesting, so back when it was just the shadeland expressway it was unsigned, even on the bgs on 465?

hockeyjohn

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 31, 2021, 04:10:17 PM
Quote from: hockeyjohn on August 31, 2021, 03:59:31 PM

get one of old sr 100?

Interesting, so back when it was just the shadeland expressway it was unsigned, even on the bgs on 465?

My family moved to Indianapolis in 1975, so just a few years after most of SR 100 was turned back (the photo shows part of the Indianapolis inset from the '74-'75 INDOT map).   The Shadeland Ave. freeway portion is marked 100 on the map but there were neither typical Indiana markers on the roadway nor any mention on the BGS (the blue mileage signs in the photo posted earlier did not come along until the '80s).   However, as I recall, it was obvious on the BGS where the '100' marker had been removed.   A side note, until the I-465/US-52 (Brookville Rd.) interchange was expanded to full access, the Shadeland Ave. freeway was also marked on the NB I-465 BGS as "To US-52 EAST / Brookville Rd."  US-52 was still routed around the southside of Indy along I-465 at that point and, as the map shows, I-465 NB did not provide access yet to Brookville Rd.

silverback1065

After perusing INDOT's website I have noticed a few new projects I wasnt aware of:

I-67 is apparently actually being taken seriously by INDOT and has its own website: https://midstatescorridor.com/

SR 101 is going to extended 25 miles to connect US 50 to the Markland Dam. https://www.in.gov/indot/div/projects/sr101/

The "Heavy Haul Cooridor" is still a thing in Utica

465 NW (86th to US 31) has its own site and will be having a virtual public meeting soon.

Anyone have any further details on these projects?

NWI_Irish96

That's also the first I've heard of the SR 101 project. I agree that those counties need a boost, but man, that's some rough terrain through which to route a new road.

The Heavy Haul Corridor in Utica/Jeffersonville/Charlestown is most definitely a thing. The port down there is the second biggest in the state after Burns Harbor, and there are always big trucks going back and forth down there.

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 01, 2021, 04:02:07 PM
That's also the first I've heard of the SR 101 project. I agree that those counties need a boost, but man, that's some rough terrain through which to route a new road.

The Heavy Haul Corridor in Utica/Jeffersonville/Charlestown is most definitely a thing. The port down there is the second biggest in the state after Burns Harbor, and there are always big trucks going back and forth down there.

I really hope they just do a divided highway, I worry about ruining the environment in that part of the state for a marginally useful road (interstate being marginally useful).  I wonder if the heavy hall road will become a state road?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 01, 2021, 04:09:05 PM

I really hope they just do a divided highway, I worry about ruining the environment in that part of the state for a marginally useful road (interstate being marginally useful).  I wonder if the heavy hall road will become a state road?

The roadway that's already there isn't signed, and I haven't seen anything indicated that it ever will be.

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 01, 2021, 04:11:02 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on September 01, 2021, 04:09:05 PM

The roadway that's already there isn't signed, and I haven't seen anything indicated that it ever will be.

does it have a name at all?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.