News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

^ Then the one person actually doing 55 mph causes everyone to abruptly brake from 75 mph down to 50-55 mph, weave into another lane, causing more braking and a potential chain reaction of such and even worse - a potential for a rear end collision.

Driving to slow = low speed limits = bad situation.

55 mph is dangerous. Simply put. But that's what they want you to think is safe, when in fact is not. 65 mph minimum is a good medium to the actual flow of 70-75+ mph.

nwi_navigator_1181

Major heads up for anyone on here who frequently uses Indiana 130 between Hobart and Valparaiso:

As you may have seen, Indiana 130 and Porter County Road 600 N is undergoing an intersection modification. Work on the northern half of the intersection is nearing completion, with work on the southern half immediately following. The respective portions of CR 600 N will be closed, while Indiana 130 traffic goes through uninterrupted. When completed this fall, CR 600 N will have two separate intersections with Indiana 130, with each “end” meeting Indiana 130 at a perpendicular angle for better sight lines and traffic control. To safely facilitate the movements, Indiana 130 will be refitted with new turn lanes.

Here’s the important part that I wanted to pass along. Starting July 30, Indiana 130 will be completely closed to traffic at the intersection with Porter County Road 450 W. The intersection will be refitted with turn lanes to accommodate movements on this often busy intersection. This closure will last into the fall. This same work will likely be moved a quarter mile west to the traffic light with CR 475 W.

The official detour will involve US 6 and Indiana 149. Though locals will be able to use the network of county roads to connect between Hobart and Valparaiso, this official detour will be enforced for truck traffic.

Update from INDOT: this closure will actually take place between Cleveland Avenue in Hobart (Indiana 51 south split) and Indiana 149. Along with what I mentioned above, this will include complete resurfacing of the closed stretch, turn lanes at the intersection with Indiana 149, and arch work at Hart Ditch between CR 475 W and Indiana 149. All work should be completed by the end of September.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

ITB

For those interested, here's some links to INDOT's research program. The program is closely aligned with Purdue University and centers around the collaborative Joint Transportation Research Program.

At any given time, numerous studies are either underway or are planned. Studies are wide ranging in scope and topic, and include, for example:

- Evaluation of the Potential Benefits of Implementing the AASHTO Guide Specification for the Analysis and Identification of Fracture Critical Members and System Redundant Members
- Research Support to INDOT on I-465 Southeast Variable Speed Limit and Ramp Meter Project
- Drones in Accident Reconstruction: How Drones Are Helping Make Traffic Crash Site Assessments Faster, Safer, and More Accurate
- Review of Indiana Asphalt Binders (In-Situ PG Grade Asphalt Determination)
- Comprehensive Pavement Patching Tools and Web-based Software for Pavement Condition Assessment and Visualization
- Alternate Interchange Signing Study for Indiana Highways

A comprehensive list of recent and current JTRP research projects can be accessed here, and a list of INDOT's research needs for FY 2022 can be found here.

Purdue also hosts the annual Purdue Road School, a two week conference and expo for transportation professionals. Established in 1914, the longstanding program typically is attended by more than 3,000. The schedule for the most recent conference which took place in March 2021 can be found here.

Great Lakes Roads

INDOT has announced that the I-65 SB rest area in Jasper County (Kankakee) at MM 231 will close for the construction of a new welcome center in the same location. The building itself (which is 40 years old) will close on or after August 4th at 4 pm CST while the parking lot will close to the public on or after August 9th. Groundbreaking of this project will happen the day after (August 10th) at 10 am CST to mark the start of construction.

The new welcome center will be fully ADA compliant, energy-efficient, and will feature modern restrooms, electronic tourism displays, public art, expanded parking, walking trails, and a natural wetlands area.

ibthebigd

When will the new section of I-265 be officially signed?

SM-G950U

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ibthebigd on August 04, 2021, 11:01:49 AM

SM-G950U

I haven't heard anything. I don't know what the holdup would be to slapping some new signs on the roadway.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

I-55

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 04, 2021, 06:00:00 PM

SM-G950U

I haven't heard anything. I don't know what the holdup would be to slapping some new signs on the roadway.

Feds might not like how the exit numbering switches directions at the state line.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

SkyPesos

Quote from: I-55 on August 06, 2021, 08:43:44 PM

SM-G950U

Feds might not like how the exit numbering switches directions at the state line.
The fact that the I-265 designation AND exit number direction aren't uniform make it seem like that IN and KY didn't cooperate at all on the interstate.
Though I did attempt a combined I-265 exit list in fictional a while ago:
Quote from: SkyPesos on April 27, 2021, 08:27:39 PM
Renumbered exit numbers on I-265 in Indiana as a continuation of the exit numbers in Kentucky:

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 06, 2021, 08:47:24 PM
Quote from: I-55 on August 06, 2021, 08:43:44 PM

SM-G950U

The fact that the I-265 designation AND exit number direction aren't uniform make it seem like that IN and KY didn't cooperate at all on the interstate.
Though I did attempt a combined I-265 exit list in fictional a while ago:
Quote from: SkyPesos on April 27, 2021, 08:27:39 PM
Renumbered exit numbers on I-265 in Indiana as a continuation of the exit numbers in Kentucky:

INDOT typically doesn't carry exit numbers over from state lines, so it doesn't surprise me that they didn't here. I-275 must be an exception, maybe perhaps KY & OH added their exit numbers and carried them over, so INDOT decided to follow.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on August 06, 2021, 10:44:14 PM
INDOT typically doesn't carry exit numbers over from state lines, so it doesn't surprise me that they didn't here. I-275 must be an exception, maybe perhaps KY & OH added their exit numbers and carried them over, so INDOT decided to follow.
It's not just INDOT. When I-295 was extended into PA along former I-95 when the I-95/PA Turnpike connection was finished, and exits had to be renumbered on former I-95, PennDOT had the choice to continue NJ's exit numbers, which would be exits 77-86, but instead, they used their own sequence with 1-10.

sprjus4

3di interstates, particularly beltway routes, generally carry mileage and exit numbers over.

I-55

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 07, 2021, 12:39:48 AM
3di interstates, particularly beltway routes, generally carry mileage and exit numbers over.

And spurs (I-155 TN/MO, I-395 CT/MA, I-195 RI/MA) usually reset.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

ran4sh

In the MUTCD it is only a Guidance (recommendation) statement for exit numbers on a 3di to continue across state lines. And the MUTCD does not distinguish between spur, loop, or beltway/circumferential in that statement.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

SkyPesos

I was on I-65 NB up to Lafayette yesterday, and saw a yet to be installed partial APL sign (arrows are similar to this except it's a bit more bold) on the right side of the road in Lebanon (think it was for either IN 32 or IN 39, I forgot to take a photo because I wasn't expecting it). Are there any other examples of partial APL signage in the state, or is this the first?

FixThe74Sign

I am not sure if this counts.

https://goo.gl/maps/aH6fZtHrUrC6dx4PA

Its on N 65 approaching 465 on the southside of Indy.

silverback1065

is this current widening section going to permanently remove (with no replacement) the exit from the left for Lafayette Ave? I remember this was supposed to happen years ago when they widened it up to 32.

SkyPesos

Quote from: FixThe74Sign on August 17, 2021, 11:45:22 AM
I am not sure if this counts.

https://goo.gl/maps/aH6fZtHrUrC6dx4PA

Its on N 65 approaching 465 on the southside of Indy.
Nope. It looked something like my Utah example linked, with no through route section.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 17, 2021, 11:48:45 AM
is this current widening section going to permanently remove (with no replacement) the exit from the left for Lafayette Ave? I remember this was supposed to happen years ago when they widened it up to 32.

Yes, the left-hand exit to Lafayette Ave from I-65 SB is permanently removed, but it will be replaced with a right-hand exit after the widening project from SR 32 to SR 47 is done (meaning that there will be a stub for a new off-ramp for Lafayette Ave on the right).

silverback1065

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on August 17, 2021, 03:29:22 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on August 17, 2021, 11:48:45 AM

Yes, the left-hand exit to Lafayette Ave from I-65 SB is permanently removed, but it will be replaced with a right-hand exit after the widening project from SR 32 to SR 47 is done (meaning that there will be a stub for a new off-ramp for Lafayette Ave on the right).

hmm interesting. originally they planned on just killing that exit with no replacement at all. i would say weaving issues could happen but i bet no one really uses that ramp anyway. they probably didnt want to piss off lebanon by getting rid of it.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 17, 2021, 10:36:52 AM
I was on I-65 NB up to Lafayette yesterday, and saw a yet to be installed partial APL sign (arrows are similar to this except it's a bit more bold) on the right side of the road in Lebanon (think it was for either IN 32 or IN 39, I forgot to take a photo because I wasn't expecting it). Are there any other examples of partial APL signage in the state, or is this the first?

There's a pair on I-65 SB at Exit 114...
https://flic.kr/p/2mhWpkx

https://flic.kr/p/2mhRfaY

Edit to add: here's a video from BigRigTravels.

At the 3:52:33 second mark, you can see the new sign laying on the side of the interstate...

tdindy88

I wonder why only Meridian Street is featured for the signage along Exit 113? That exit does also serve Illinois, Pennsylvania and Delaware Streets. To answer my own question I'm sure they just don't want to have four lines of text on the sign but I wonder if there's a better way to covey that the exit does serve more streets than just Meridian. Likewise coming from the east the sign usually stated both Pennsylvania and Meridian Streets in the past without any mention of Illinois.

Likewise it's interesting to see more APL signs in Indiana. I must say INDOT's doing a pretty good job with those. Watching the I-65 through Boone County segment also is interesting and it's different seeing the sequential exit signs being used in the median. I wonder if there's any plans of using more of them throughout Indianapolis. I-69 got them going north from I-465 a few years ago and I-465 on the north side and I-70 on the west side has some of them as well.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on August 18, 2021, 07:42:31 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on August 17, 2021, 10:36:52 AM

There's a pair on I-65 SB at Exit 114...
https://flic.kr/p/2mhWpkx

https://flic.kr/p/2mhRfaY

Edit to add: here's a video from BigRigTravels.

At the 3:52:33 second mark, you can see the new sign laying on the side of the interstate...
Looks like I'm way off for the location. The sign was for IN 267 a bit south of Lebanon  :-D

I'm wondering why the main display with the route shield and road name/control cities aren't centered to the sign, unlike the Utah examples. It seemed like they wanted to do a full APL with the main display shifted to the right a bit, but changed their mind.

SkyPesos

Unrelated to above, but any reason why the middle lane at the 865 exit from WB I-465 isn't an option lane? Especially with the traffic getting onto 865 (and eventually NB 65), it seems so inefficient forcing all the traffic shift to the single lane on the left, and the second lane reappearing after the gore point.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on August 18, 2021, 09:28:14 PM
I wonder why only Meridian Street is featured for the signage along Exit 113? That exit does also serve Illinois, Pennsylvania and Delaware Streets. To answer my own question I'm sure they just don't want to have four lines of text on the sign but I wonder if there's a better way to covey that the exit does serve more streets than just Meridian. Likewise coming from the east the sign usually stated both Pennsylvania and Meridian Streets in the past without any mention of Illinois.

Likewise it's interesting to see more APL signs in Indiana. I must say INDOT's doing a pretty good job with those. Watching the I-65 through Boone County segment also is interesting and it's different seeing the sequential exit signs being used in the median. I wonder if there's any plans of using more of them throughout Indianapolis. I-69 got them going north from I-465 a few years ago and I-465 on the north side and I-70 on the west side has some of them as well.

I think it's because of which road will take you INTO downtown depending on the direction of travel, so on SB 65 Meridian would take you INTO downtown ( but this also applies to Penn so this isn't a perfect analogy) Illinois takes you out of downtown. NB 65 both Penn and Meridian take you in, but Illinois does not.

silverback1065

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 18, 2021, 10:21:16 PM
Unrelated to above, but any reason why the middle lane at the 865 exit from WB I-465 isn't an option lane? Especially with the traffic getting onto 865 (and eventually NB 65), it seems so inefficient forcing all the traffic shift to the single lane on the left, and the second lane reappearing after the gore point.

It's because they want that crappy loop ramp to have it's own lane  :-D. but in about 8ish yrs that entire interchange will be nice, 2 lanes coming in and out all on the right!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.