News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on August 28, 2012, 06:04:45 PM

Maybe there are separate ones for Detroit.

probably.  we just haven't spotted any of the approximately twelve that they'd need to issue.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 28, 2012, 06:06:32 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 28, 2012, 06:04:45 PM

Maybe there are separate ones for Detroit.

probably.  we just haven't spotted any of the approximately twelve that they'd need to issue.

Sorry, one of us apparently went over the other's head, though I'm not sure which is which.
I meant that Detroit would get Michigan plates, whereas the rest of the state would get Pure Michigan plates.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

the joke was, there are only 12 people left in Detroit who can afford to register a vehicle.

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

OK.  So it was over my head.  I was kind of guessing it was mine.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Only accept the highest Michigan purity standards. Countless lives have been ruined by the use of impure Michigan.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vtk

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 29, 2012, 04:40:00 AM
Only accept the highest Michigan purity standards. Countless lives have been ruined by the use of impure Michigan.

Around here, it's easier to Just Say No to Michigan.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Scott5114

Quote from: vtk on August 29, 2012, 07:01:08 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 29, 2012, 04:40:00 AM

Around here, it's easier to Just Say No to Michigan.

At least Michigan has a 70 MPH speed limit. Last time I was in Ohio it was 65 the whole way :ded:

And just in case you didn't hate me yet–I visited Ann Arbor and thought it was lovely

6a

Mr. Matté

Quote from: 6a on August 29, 2012, 07:44:21 PM
Ann Arbor is a whore.

And the "Ste." in Sault Ste. Marie? Means "slute."

Brandon

Quote from: 6a on August 29, 2012, 07:44:21 PM
Ann Arbor is a whore.

So is Columbus, but who's counting?

Go Green, Go White.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

agentsteel53

why all the hate against Ann Arbor?  last time I was there it was a pretty reasonable place.

for a really shitty Michigan city, try Flint or Saginaw.  for Ohio, try Youngstown or Akron.  plenty of shitholes in both states!

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 29, 2012, 07:06:24 AM
At least Michigan has a 70 MPH speed limit. Last time I was in Ohio it was 65 the whole way :ded:

The Turnpike is 70 MPH now.  There has been sporadic talk of introducing 70 MPH on other rural Interstates, but the political support isn't quite there.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

DaBigE

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 29, 2012, 08:48:23 PM
why all the hate against Ann Arbor?  last time I was there it was a pretty reasonable place.

It's a Big Ten thing.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Scott5114

Quote from: vtk on August 29, 2012, 09:03:21 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 29, 2012, 07:06:24 AM

The Turnpike is 70 MPH now.  There has been sporadic talk of introducing 70 MPH on other rural Interstates, but the political support isn't quite there.

The only time I was in Ohio I was taking I-70 across, so the Turnpike speed limit wouldn't help much...

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 29, 2012, 08:48:23 PM

for a really shitty Michigan city, try Flint or Saginaw.  for Ohio, try Youngstown or Akron.  plenty of shitholes in both states!

Eh. Sports. I personally don't care for sports so any like/dislike I have of a place is on its own merits, more or less. I had a really good time in Ann Arbor because it was so much different than any sort of town I'd visited before, so there was a lot of stuff to see and experience. Ann Arbor also had a distinct 'feel' to it, something that is absent in a lot of places. (Has anyone ever felt all that strongly about, say, Des Moines?)

Sports would say that I am required to hate Austin, Texas with a blinding passion, but from what I've read of it, it seems like it would also be rather interesting. I'll reserve judgement on it for when I finally get down there. (I believe residents of Austin are supposed to hate Norman as well. They are probably more justified in doing so than we are to hate them. As far as I can tell Austin is everything Norman is not.)

1995hoo

This morning I was behind a car with what I assume is the current-style Nebraska plate, similar to what's shown below.

I was wondering if anyone knows the purpose of the barcode seen at the bottom right (below the final digit of the plate number). I've seen those on plates in Mexico as well (and a Mexican plate I saw here in Virginia earlier this summer), but this is the first time I recall having seen one on a US plate. I should mention I tend not to notice license plates unless I see something new that catches my eye. Living in the DC area you see so many out-of-area plates that you sort of become desensitized to them unless you see something really unusual, like that Mexican plate or the Puerto Rico or Guam plates I've seen a few times.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

... Norman?

not Oklahoma City or even Tulsa?

Norman has a population of just over 100,000.  why would Austin bother hating what is really a suburb of OKC?

also, they'd probably hate DFW or Houston because the cultures of those two places are radically different as well.  most similar to Austin in my opinion is San Antonio.

jake@aaroads.com

thenetwork

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 30, 2012, 10:52:52 AM
This morning I was behind a car with what I assume is the current-style Nebraska plate, similar to what's shown below.

I was wondering if anyone knows the purpose of the barcode seen at the bottom right (below the final digit of the plate number). I've seen those on plates in Mexico as well (and a Mexican plate I saw here in Virginia earlier this summer), but this is the first time I recall having seen one on a US plate. I should mention I tend not to notice license plates unless I see something new that catches my eye. Living in the DC area you see so many out-of-area plates that you sort of become desensitized to them unless you see something really unusual, like that Mexican plate or the Puerto Rico or Guam plates I've seen a few times.

Many of the newer Colorado plates have little barcodes on them as well.

agentsteel53

clearly they are to identify people, so they can be placed in the right cattle car to ship them off to the right FEMA camp.

even more horrifying - is that Clearview on the digits of that Nebraska plate??

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

It's the mark of the beast.
Male pronouns, please.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: thenetwork on August 30, 2012, 01:46:15 PM

Which ones? Certainly not the standard embossed plates.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

thenetwork

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on August 30, 2012, 03:02:27 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on August 30, 2012, 01:46:15 PM

Which ones? Certainly not the standard embossed plates.

I should have clarified:  Many of the newer *non*-embossed plates. 

The barcodes are on the lower right.

The High Plains Traveler

It's interesting in that screen shot to see that some of the pre-2000 (current) series flat process plates had them.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Alex

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 30, 2012, 10:52:52 AM

I was wondering if anyone knows the purpose of the barcode seen at the bottom right (below the final digit of the plate number). I've seen those on plates in Mexico as well (and a Mexican plate I saw here in Virginia earlier this summer), but this is the first time I recall having seen one on a US plate.

Not sure what the barcode stores, but any flat 3M plate has them. I first noticed these with an earlier issue of Indiana license plates. Then I noticed that every Mexican state license plate has them as well. Basically if the tag is flat, expect to find one.

And to clarify your assumption, that is the current Nebraska passenger vehicle issue. They debuted last year. From Licenseplates.cc:

QuoteMay 4, 2009 – Nebraska's next general-issue license plate features the state bird, the Meadowlark, and the state flower, the Goldenrod.

The new design, announced May 22, was chosen via an online poll.

Beginning in 2011, motorists will receive these new plates when their existing plates come up for renewal.

kphoger

Quote from: Alex on August 30, 2012, 04:15:48 PM
Not sure what the barcode stores, but any flat 3M plate has them. I first noticed these with an earlier issue of Indiana license plates. Then I noticed that every Mexican state license plate has them as well. Basically if the tag is flat, expect to find one.

Ones to check which I'm not sure have barcodes:
DC, Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming
Male pronouns, please.

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: kphoger on August 30, 2012, 05:59:38 PM
Quote from: Alex on August 30, 2012, 04:15:48 PM

Ones to check which I'm not sure have barcodes:
DC, Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming
None of those states' flats have barcodes on them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.