News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 25, 2015, 10:15:11 AM
Is California the only one I know of that allows the use of symbols on plates?

I believe so.  I haven't seen it used by any other state yet.

SP Cook

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 25, 2015, 10:15:11 AM
Is California the only one I know of that allows the use of symbols on plates?

Only you can answer as to what you know.

Sorry.

Anyway, Virginia allows - and & .  North Carolina allows & # (  ) + $ / = * ? @ ' - , ! : .  (( and )).

kendancy66

Those are just special characters of the ascii character set. The OP was referring to the way CA uses a special  symbol as part of the number. An example is the hand in the kid license plate. It is on every kid license plate

renegade

Quote from: route56 on June 18, 2015, 04:40:21 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 15, 2015, 10:32:37 PM
Got my first look at the new Kansas sunflower vanity plate. I like it very much!

It looks better in real life. Especially on the sweet sports car it was on.

Quote from: apeman33 on April 16, 2015, 04:06:40 AM
Are they going to be limited to just five characters or is the idea that plates that have five characters or fewer offset to the right so the sunflower is visible? I ask partly because if I ever got a personalized plate, I know what I want and that word, if available, has six letters.

Quote from: route56 on April 16, 2015, 03:05:03 PM
* route56 should be getting a call from the county treasurer's office soon about re-upping on his "ROUTE56" vanity plate.

Picked up my new Vanity plate on Tuesday, with the full seven characters:

The new Kansas plate looks awesome, but the county sticker has got to go. 

Other than being required by law, what purpose does it serve?  One would think that information would be available to law enforcement officials, since they would be the only ones with a need to know which county any given motorist is from.  In my state, your county is coded on the registration form, and is shown on the officer's computer.  When I lived in Ohio, they implemented the spelled-out county name stickers, and used that as a reason to charge 50 cents each for them.  Is it just a money-grab then,  or is there something else I don't understand here?
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

SP Cook

Quote from: kendancy66 on June 25, 2015, 11:57:28 PM
Those are just special characters of the ascii character set. The OP was referring to the way CA uses a special  symbol as part of the number. An example is the hand in the kid license plate. It is on every kid license plate

Sorry. 

How do they work with that?  Like if somebody got a ticket, would the meter maid write out "hand" or draw a hand or what?  Or what would you say  over the radio ?  I am in pursuit of a blue Toyota, California plate "HAND, ocean adam 5 7 delta 7".   And how would you do a data base search?  Would not a search for "hand" as the first character show up as just H?

kendancy66

I think that the other characters in the plate make it unique enough to be identifed

kendancy66

kendancy66

kendancy66

Sorry I dont know how to do this on a phone

kendancy66

kendancy66

kendancy66

kendancy66

SidS1045

Quote from: Buffaboy on June 05, 2015, 11:23:07 PMwhy can't New York vehicles drive without a front plate?

Because it's the law.

NY Vehicle and Traffic Law, Section 402:

1. (a) No person shall operate, drive or park a motor vehicle on the public highways of this state unless such vehicle shall have a distinctive number assigned to it by the commissioner and a set of number plates issued by the commissioner with a number and other identification matter if any, corresponding to that of the certificate of registration conspicuously displayed, one on the front and one on the rear of such vehicle, each securely fastened so as to prevent the same from swinging and placed, whenever reasonably possible, not higher than forty-eight inches and not lower than twelve inches from the ground; provided, however, that in any registration year for which only one number plate is issued, such number plate shall constitute a set of number plates for the time in which such use is authorized, shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle and none shall be displayed on its front, except in case of a tractor, when such number plate shall be displayed on the front of the vehicle and none shall be displayed on its rear.
8. The violation of this section shall be punishable by a fine of not less than twenty-five nor more than two hundred dollars.

Source:  http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/VAT/IV/14/402
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

vtk

I think Kendancy was trying to paste a url that looks almost like this:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&url=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/online/elp/elp

but the iPhone autocorrected it by changing "url" to "urile" and something maybe like ":​p" to "[Emoji​14]" and maybe one or more other substitutions.  I don't think my best guess is quite right because I get the same generic page no matter what comes after &url=...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kendancy66

I was trying to link to CA specialty license plates to show S P Cook the kid plate

kendancy66

kendancy66

kendancy66

kendancy66

kendancy66

kendancy66

kendancy66

Buffaboy

Quote from: SidS1045 on June 26, 2015, 11:07:55 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on June 05, 2015, 11:23:07 PMwhy can't New York vehicles drive without a front plate?

Because it's the law.

NY Vehicle and Traffic Law, Section 402:

1. (a) No person shall operate, drive or park a motor vehicle on the public highways of this state unless such vehicle shall have a distinctive number assigned to it by the commissioner and a set of number plates issued by the commissioner with a number and other identification matter if any, corresponding to that of the certificate of registration conspicuously displayed, one on the front and one on the rear of such vehicle, each securely fastened so as to prevent the same from swinging and placed, whenever reasonably possible, not higher than forty-eight inches and not lower than twelve inches from the ground; provided, however, that in any registration year for which only one number plate is issued, such number plate shall constitute a set of number plates for the time in which such use is authorized, shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle and none shall be displayed on its front, except in case of a tractor, when such number plate shall be displayed on the front of the vehicle and none shall be displayed on its rear.
8. The violation of this section shall be punishable by a fine of not less than twenty-five nor more than two hundred dollars.

Source:  http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/VAT/IV/14/402

That's interesting, didn't know that exact law.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.