News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 15, 2014, 05:49:17 PM
Quote from: vtk on May 15, 2014, 04:38:00 PMBut perhaps the better solution is to work to lessen that stigma. 

on the contrary, I'd love to have it raised.  drunk driving isn't a mistake; it's a conscious choice.  we've made great strides against everything from public littering to homophobia.  drunk driving would be well served to go the way of the three-martini lunch.

I meant that comment to be taken as operating within the assertion by the blogger that a DUI is "one little mistake" and nothing more.  I actually think it's a big problem.  Either way, the blogger's logic is flawed.

How about this: purchase and consumption of alcohol should require an alcohol license.  Such a license would be trivial to obtain; take a brief test, pay a nominal fee, sit for a photo.  If you drive drunk, or otherwise risk injury or death to others due to alcohol intoxication, your alcohol license is suspended or revoked, in addition to whatever license may have been required for the thing you were doing drunk.  I think for some people this would be a more effective deterrant than the threat of losing one's driving license alone.

Anyway, I believe the point of the license plate is closely related to the driver's restricted driving privileges.  I've heard these drivers are only allowed to drive between home and work.  If such a vehicle is seen on the road outside of typical commuting hours, an officer may have "reasonable suspicion" to interrogate the driver to determine if he's violating the restrictions.  Of course, I recognize this can be problematic if the driver's job isn't a 9—5 office or industrial position.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Scott5114

An "alcohol license" would be a minor inconvenience at best. Give your friend a $20, have him stock up on beer, drink at home. You just couldn't go to bars.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vtk

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 16, 2014, 02:18:44 AM
An "alcohol license" would be a minor inconvenience at best. Give your friend a $20, have him stock up on beer, drink at home. You just couldn't go to bars.

And such a scheme would be just as illegal as buying beer for minors.  It would help, anyway.  A friend of mine recently failed to prevent her sister from driving home from a bar totally shitfaced.   Fortunately she made it home alive.

Oh yeah, and the privilege to park a car at a bar should be contingent on designating a driver who will not be allowed to drink at that bar...

J N Winkler

Quote from: vtk on May 15, 2014, 04:38:00 PM
Quote from: Takumi on May 15, 2014, 04:22:48 PMOhio issues a brightly colored plate for DUI offenders (NSFW)

http://dougdemuro.jalopnik.com/ohio-issues-bright-yellow-license-plates-to-shame-dui-o-1576928319/

It's hard to take that guy's opinions seriously. Everytime an argument or bit of evidence is presented, it's embellished like a standup comedy routine.

Anyway, his main point seems to be that we shouldn't publicly mark people for "one little mistake" because of the resulting unfair stigma. But perhaps the better solution is to work to lessen that stigma.  You don't accomplish that by encouraging the stigmatized to hide.

Agreed re. the embellishments--they are distracting.

Ohio is not the first state to introduce a DUI plate; Iowa has one, or used to have one (a not particularly well-referenced article suggests it has now been phased out).

Before getting into the whole question of whether society should approach problem drinkers behind the wheel with a hard or soft edge, which leads too quickly to questions of personal preference that are unlikely to be resolved on a rational basis, I would much rather know this:  do DUI plates lead to a clear and statistically significant reduction in DUI arrests or injuries and fatalities due to DUI?  In terms of these measures of effectiveness and of cost, how does it compare with other steps that can be taken, such as vehicle impoundment (allowed in Washington) or mandatory installation of an ignition interlock?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

DaBigE

Quote from: Pete from Boston on May 16, 2014, 12:04:21 AM
... I can digest this a little easier if it's temporary (a few years?) for first offenders, maybe graduated to permanent at stages beyond that.

Sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare...or a new reason to issue a ticket.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

cpzilliacus

KNX Radio: Retro Calif. License Plates Returning To The Road

QuoteCalifornia's classic black and yellow license plates are making a comeback thanks to a local assemblyman.

QuoteRep. Mike Gatto (D-Los Angeles) gathered the 7,500 applications need to launch the return of the plates in record time.

QuoteThe plates were first issued to California vehicles from 1963 to 1969.

QuoteAs part of the Legacy License Plate Program, yellow plates with black lettering and blue plates with yellow lettering will also be available.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jakeroot

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 06, 2014, 01:14:49 PM

QuoteThe plates were first issued to California vehicles from 1963 to 1969.

QuoteAs part of the Legacy License Plate Program, yellow plates with black lettering and blue plates with yellow lettering will also be available.

Are they going to require the car to be a collector's vehicle? If not, that's awesome. Makes customizing a car that much cooler.

briantroutman

Quote from: jake on June 06, 2014, 03:24:25 PM

Are they going to require the car to be a collector's vehicle? If not, that's awesome. Makes customizing a car that much cooler.

This sucks. I think one of the most interesting things about California license plates is that the plates stay with the car and become a part of its history. You walk through a parking lot today and see an original, untouched  '63 Volkswagen Beetle with the same yellow-on-black plate that was bolted on at Chick Iverson VW the day it was first sold. And when I first heard of this program, I thought it would be great that someone restoring an old '64 1/2 Mustang or a '71 Plymouth Valiant would be able to get an authentic plate for the year of the car.

But there's absolutely no controls over which cars get what plates. Some idiot can an iconic '60s plate for his "sweet"  '97 Eagle Talon...?! Destroys the mystique of the old plates, in my opinion.

jakeroot

Quote from: briantroutman on June 06, 2014, 03:45:55 PM

This sucks. I think one of the most interesting things about California license plates is that the plates stay with the car and become a part of its history. You walk through a parking lot today and see an original, untouched  '63 Volkswagen Beetle with the same yellow-on-black plate that was bolted on at Chick Iverson VW the day it was first sold. And when I first heard of this program, I thought it would be great that someone restoring an old '64 1/2 Mustang or a '71 Plymouth Valiant would be able to get an authentic plate for the year of the car.

But there's absolutely no controls over which cars get what plates. Some idiot can an iconic '60s plate for his "sweet"  '97 Eagle Talon...?! Destroys the mystique of the old plates, in my opinion.

I didn't really think about that. Good point, however.

kendancy66

^^^ I somewhat agree with you but,

I am going to buy a yellow on black plate for my 2007 Mustang, because it is very similar looking to a 1969 Mustang

jakeroot

Quote from: kendancy66 on June 06, 2014, 11:34:39 PM
^^^ I somewhat agree with you but,

I am going to buy a yellow on black plate for my 2007 Mustang, because it is very similar looking to a 1969 Mustang

I would imagine there's a large number of people with retro-looking cars (like the present gen Challenger and Camaro, maybe even Mustang) that will opt for the classic plates, just so they can be sure everyone else knows they are having a midlife crisis.

kendancy66

^^^
Really?  Is that why I am doing this?

jakeroot

thenetwork

Quote from: stormwatch7721 on December 10, 2011, 05:35:51 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 09, 2011, 04:11:15 PM
Quote from: stormwatch7721 on December 09, 2011, 02:04:10 PM
So what are the new Ohio plates supposed to look like or is it unveiled yet?

I saw the new Ohio license plate for the first time in Colorado the other day...Well, sort of:

I have never seen such a fancy temporary tag before.  Prior to the latest permanent OH tags, their temp tags looked something like this:

Oh wow. That is a not a bad license plate at all.

SteveG1988

In april 2014 Nj started issuing flat license plates for regular bases.

Before:

After:
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Brandon

This sucks. I think one of the most interesting things about California license plates is that the plates stay with the car and become a part of its history.

That's not interesting IMHO, that's just old, illegible, and rusty.  The plates should stay with the owner, IMHO, and be changed out every 5 to 10 years or so to keep them legible and reflective.  It's kind of fun to see a new car with an old number (AAA ###) and an old car with a new number (A ### ###).  You know when they 1) got their plates, and 2) bought the car or moved into the state.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jakeroot

Quote from: Brandon on June 12, 2014, 05:48:10 PM

This sucks. I think one of the most interesting things about California license plates is that the plates stay with the car and become a part of its history.

That's not interesting IMHO, that's just old, illegible, and rusty.  The plates should stay with the owner, IMHO, and be changed out every 5 to 10 years or so to keep them legible and reflective.  It's kind of fun to see a new car with an old number (AAA ###) and an old car with a new number (A ### ###).  You know when they 1) got their plates, and 2) bought the car or moved into the state.

I'm admittedly getting tired of suggesting a more...Limey approach, but why not just keep the same license plate the whole length of the vehicle? There would have to be some adjustments in taxes because I am fully aware that registration renewal is a major source of income.

vdeane

IMO brand new plates on an old car (and vice-versa) just looks plain wrong.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

corco

Quote from: vdeane on June 12, 2014, 08:59:50 PM
IMO brand new plates on an old car (and vice-versa) just looks plain wrong.

Arizona switched from the California model to the normal model a few years ago, so you see random brand new cars with 1980s license plates now that had been on the owner's old car until they sold it. It looks really weird.

1995hoo

Here's one I'd never seen before. Spotted this morning.....in Bonita Springs, Florida.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Quote from: jake on June 12, 2014, 06:01:54 PM

I'm admittedly getting tired of suggesting a more...Limey approach, but why not just keep the same license plate the whole length of the vehicle? There would have to be some adjustments in taxes because I am fully aware that registration renewal is a major source of income.

I'll politely disagree, and you'll understand when you buy a car and get title and registration as to why keeping your plates is far superior.  You paid for that registration, not the guy you're selling the car to, and you should continue to use that registration instead of having to pay a new fee for a new one.  A transfer fee is far cheaper than a new registration.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

vtk

I'm having trouble understanding what the fuss is about. In Ohio you pay an annual registration fee.  You pay that same fee every year, for each car you own.  When you buy a car, I don't think it matters whether you reuse the plate from a car you've recently sold, or if you let the BMV hand you a new plate from the top of their stack.  (License plates and registration don't stay with the car that's changing ownership.)  Usually, a car that isn't with its first owner will be older than its license plates.

vdeane

Quote from: Brandon on June 14, 2014, 10:29:21 PM
I'll politely disagree, and you'll understand when you buy a car and get title and registration as to why keeping your plates is far superior.  You paid for that registration, not the guy you're selling the car to, and you should continue to use that registration instead of having to pay a new fee for a new one.  A transfer fee is far cheaper than a new registration.
That assumes you sell the car.  I keep cars until they die.

Plus old rusted out plates on a shiny new car just looks UGLY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

thenetwork

I have watched many episodes of Parking Wars, and never quite understood how some people's cars in Philadelphia could be booted & towed for having too many unpaid tickets.  Now I get it.  PA's "plate stays with the car" law can really screw some law-abiding citizens who buy used cars from people who disregard the law.  Is there a way for people buying used cars to see in advance what tickets (if any) are attached to the car?  And do those unsuspecting buyers have any good clear recourse in suing the previous owner?

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on June 15, 2014, 11:37:44 AM
Quote from: Brandon on June 14, 2014, 10:29:21 PM
That assumes you sell the car.  I keep cars until they die.

Plus old rusted out plates on a shiny new car just looks UGLY.

In Virginia you can have your same old plate number re-issued on a new pair of plates (there's probably a fee). My mother has had the same plate number since 1980, but my dad got her new standard-issue plates with the same number a few years back because the old ones were just beat-up and worn-looking and he didn't want to put them on her new car. It kind of looks funny because current-issue Virginia plates use three letters and four numbers (such as ABC-1234) but her plate number date to the three-and-three era (such as HPK-280). Her having new plates with the old number makes it look like she has inexplicable personalized plates.

I assume other states would allow the same thing. After all, plates can get damaged.

If you sell your car to someone from out of state, the DMV will issue temporary plates and a "transfer permit."

The only times I've bought a used car through a private transaction the plate thing was not an issue because both times I knew the seller quite well and I kept the old plates on the car until I'd been to the DMV.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.