News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: vdeane on June 15, 2014, 11:37:44 AM
Quote from: Brandon on June 14, 2014, 10:29:21 PM
I'll politely disagree, and you'll understand when you buy a car and get title and registration as to why keeping your plates is far superior.  You paid for that registration, not the guy you're selling the car to, and you should continue to use that registration instead of having to pay a new fee for a new one.  A transfer fee is far cheaper than a new registration.
That assumes you sell the car.  I keep cars until they die.

Plus old rusted out plates on a shiny new car just looks UGLY.

If your state changes plates every so often (every five to ten years or so), it's a non-issue.  You are required to change them to the new design.  They are not ever supposed to get rusty.  The recent Illinois ones had a bad batch (2001 through 2003) that are under recall and they can and will be swapped out for free.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

froggie

In Vermont, the bill that Gov. Shumlin signed last Thursday banning the use of handheld cell phones while driving included a provision under which vehicle owners can keep their "Vermont Strong" front license plates on their vehicles until 6/30/2016.  Previously, the Vermont Strong plates were to expire at the end of this month.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: vdeane on June 15, 2014, 11:37:44 AM
Quote from: Brandon on June 14, 2014, 10:29:21 PM
I'll politely disagree, and you'll understand when you buy a car and get title and registration as to why keeping your plates is far superior.  You paid for that registration, not the guy you're selling the car to, and you should continue to use that registration instead of having to pay a new fee for a new one.  A transfer fee is far cheaper than a new registration.
That assumes you sell the car.  I keep cars until they die.

Plus old rusted out plates on a shiny new car just looks UGLY.

The length of time between car purchase and car "death" (really, a non-event except in the case if destruction) can vary greatly.  Some cars last three years, some a dozen. 

I keep my old plates because, really, who the hell cares what my license plates look like?  One less detail to bother with in an already overcomplicated transaction. 

vdeane

Quote from: Brandon on June 15, 2014, 04:02:02 PM
If your state changes plates every so often (every five to ten years or so), it's a non-issue.  You are required to change them to the new design.  They are not ever supposed to get rusty.  The recent Illinois ones had a bad batch (2001 through 2003) that are under recall and they can and will be swapped out for free.
New York hasn't required anyone to change plates ever since the liberty plates were replaced by the Empire (blue) plates in the late 90s.  When the plates on my car were replaced (due to transferring the title from Mom to me), the old ones had rust around the screw holes (in fact, the front screws had to be replaced entirely), and the old front plate was slightly bent around the edges and had salt corrosion dulling the paint.  The state wanted to force everyone to switch to the Empire Gold plates (for a $25 fee, even more to keep the same plate number), but was forced to back down, in part because the new plates are so ugly.

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 15, 2014, 07:42:46 PM
I keep my old plates because, really, who the hell cares what my license plates look like?  One less detail to bother with in an already overcomplicated transaction. 
You don't care about what the exterior of your car looks like?  Plates are a part of that.

Quote from: thenetwork on June 15, 2014, 01:52:10 PM
I have watched many episodes of Parking Wars, and never quite understood how some people's cars in Philadelphia could be booted & towed for having too many unpaid tickets.  Now I get it.  PA's "plate stays with the car" law can really screw some law-abiding citizens who buy used cars from people who disregard the law.  Is there a way for people buying used cars to see in advance what tickets (if any) are attached to the car?  And do those unsuspecting buyers have any good clear recourse in suing the previous owner?
I don't understand it either.  The state knows when you change cars.  They should switch the tickets to the new car.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: vdeane on June 15, 2014, 08:26:00 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 15, 2014, 07:42:46 PM
You don't care about what the exterior of your car looks like?  Plates are a part of that.

I'm glad that I keep something 18 years old in very good working order and able to carry an inordinate amount of crap around daily.  Given all that, it looks pretty damn good.  So no, I don't care what the plates look like as long as they pass inspection.  Driving through snowbanks pretty much mashes the front one up every year, so it's a lost cause anyway.

Brandon

Quote from: Brandon on June 15, 2014, 04:02:02 PM
New York hasn't required anyone to change plates ever since the liberty plates were replaced by the Empire (blue) plates in the late 90s.  When the plates on my car were replaced (due to transferring the title from Mom to me), the old ones had rust around the screw holes (in fact, the front screws had to be replaced entirely), and the old front plate was slightly bent around the edges and had salt corrosion dulling the paint.  The state wanted to force everyone to switch to the Empire Gold plates (for a $25 fee, even more to keep the same plate number), but was forced to back down, in part because the new plates are so ugly.

Illinois does require you to change plates when the new ones are issued.  It's amazing that a state like New York does not.  There should be one type of standard plate (other than supporting this or that charity/school or the upgrade like the bridge plate in Michigan) for the state (HTF does California keep track with all the old, rusty types of plates they have!?!).  Any older plates should be removed and replaced.  They lose their reflectivity after a while and can no longer be seen adequately at night.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Pete from Boston

Quote from: froggie on June 15, 2014, 05:59:32 PM
In Vermont, the bill that Gov. Shumlin signed last Thursday banning the use of handheld cell phones while driving included a provision under which vehicle owners can keep their "Vermont Strong" front license plates on their vehicles until 6/30/2016.  Previously, the Vermont Strong plates were to expire at the end of this month.

Contrast this with Massachusetts, where pre-1987 plates can be passed down in families and are exempt from the current front-plate requirement.

jakeroot

I have watched many episodes of Parking Wars, and never quite understood how some people's cars in Philadelphia could be booted & towed for having too many unpaid tickets.  Now I get it.  PA's "plate stays with the car" law can really screw some law-abiding citizens who buy used cars from people who disregard the law.  Is there a way for people buying used cars to see in advance what tickets (if any) are attached to the car?  And do those unsuspecting buyers have any good clear recourse in suing the previous owner?
I don't understand it either.  The state knows when you change cars.  They should switch the tickets to the new car.

They might know when you change cars, but they aren't necessarily sure that you received the ticket. What if the car wasn't in your possession when the parking infraction was given? They can't (in Washington) automatically assume the registered owner is responsible. You can just say it wasn't you and -- POOF -- ticket tossed.

Also, the new car didn't receive the tickets, so it would seem strange to transfer the tickets to the car that didn't recieve them. I know the logic is there, but the implementation sounds messy.

PHLBOS

I have watched many episodes of Parking Wars, and never quite understood how some people's cars in Philadelphia could be booted & towed for having too many unpaid tickets.
Philly isn't the only city that does such.  IIRC, the boot was originally referred to as the Denver Boot due to that's where the practice of booting a car for multiple unpaid parking tickets originated decades ago.

Quote from: thenetwork on June 15, 2014, 01:52:10 PMNow I get it.  PA's "plate stays with the car" law can really screw some law-abiding citizens who buy used cars from people who disregard the law.  Is there a way for people buying used cars to see in advance what tickets (if any) are attached to the car?  And do those unsuspecting buyers have any good clear recourse in suing the previous owner?
As one who has had 5 vehicles registered in PA (not too far from Philly) over the last 23 years; I am going to respectfully say that the above-statement has some serious holes in it and is absolutely untrue.

Fact: If one buys a used car, be it from a dealer or a private sale, and needs/wants a PA plate (vs. transferring the buyer's existing PA plate to the newly-purchased vehicle); the plate & registration number is a brand new registration & plate complete w/a little T (for Temporary) sticker placed where the standard registration sticker would go (upper-left corner).  That being the case; the above scenario simply can not nor does not happen.  The registration/plate either stays with the owner or is invalidated/expired by PennDOT when it is not renewed. 

Given that Parking Wars is a "reality" TV show that thrives on sensationalism and confrontations for ratings; something tells me that the described situation is likely scripted for shock & awe.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mr_Northside

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 16, 2014, 02:14:44 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on June 15, 2014, 01:52:10 PMNow I get it.  PA's "plate stays with the car" law can really screw some law-abiding citizens who buy used cars from people who disregard the law.  Is there a way for people buying used cars to see in advance what tickets (if any) are attached to the car?  And do those unsuspecting buyers have any good clear recourse in suing the previous owner?
As one who has had 5 vehicles registered in PA (not too far from Philly) over the last 23 years; I am going to respectfully say that the above-statement has some serious holes in it and is absolutely untrue.

Fact: If one buys a used car, be it from a dealer or a private sale, and needs/wants a PA plate (vs. transferring the buyer's existing PA plate to the newly-purchased vehicle); the plate & registration number is a brand new registration & plate complete w/a little T (for Temporary) sticker placed where the standard registration sticker would go (upper-left corner).  That being the case; the above scenario simply can not nor does not happen.  The registration/plate either stays with the owner or is invalidated/expired by PennDOT when it is not renewed. 

Yeah... I was kind of wondering what this "Plate stays with the car" law was in reference to.  All 4 of my used cars (from both dealers & individuals) came with new plates and registration as well.   If there is some sort of "plate stays with the car" as an allowable option, I don't know who would want to do it - even to save money - for the kind of reason being discussed.  It is possible to transfer your old plate to your "new" car, but the one time I was hoping to do that I didn't have necessary documents with me (either the registration and/or title).

Also, for the last couple of years, instead of a "T" sticker on the plate, you have to display some information in your rear-windshield until your registration comes thru.  (at least back in 2006)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

NJRoadfan

NJ will issue replacement plates for any current number you may have for a fee. So there are plenty of numbers that were issued in the blue plate era that are on the current base. Back in 1992 when they released the current base, they allowed one to swap out to the new plates with the same number for free for a limited time.

jakeroot

Quote from: Mr_Northside on June 16, 2014, 03:55:07 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on June 16, 2014, 02:14:44 PM

Yeah... I was kind of wondering what this "Plate stays with the car" law was in reference to.  All 4 of my used cars (from both dealers & individuals) came with new plates and registration as well.   If there is some sort of "plate stays with the car" as an allowable option, I don't know who would want to do it - even to save money - for the kind of reason being discussed.  It is possible to transfer your old plate to your "new" car, but the one time I was hoping to do that I didn't have necessary documents with me (either the registration and/or title).

When I purchased my first car (private purchase), the title was transferred to me and the plate did not change. This occurred in Washington. As I remember, "certified" used cars purchased at dealers do not have plates and need to be registered at the local licencing office. However, there are occasions where used car lots have the old plates and those end up getting transferred to the new owner in place of a fresh title. I'm not quite sure what the law is in regards to this, however, I know my car has had the same plate for three owners.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Mr_Northside on June 16, 2014, 03:55:07 PMAlso, for the last couple of years, instead of a "T" sticker on the plate, you have to display some information in your rear-windshield until your registration comes thru.  (at least back in 2006)
Now that I think of it; when I bought my Mustang back in August of 2007; it came with a temporary display for the rear window.  That was the last time I purchased a vehicle and/or got a new plate.  My previous vehicle purchase that also warranted a new plate (where I live, I can't park my current/old vehicle without a plate on it (I was selling the car vs. trading it in), hence why I did not do a registration transfer) was back in Nov. of '96 and had the T sticker.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

PHLBOS

Quote from: jake on June 16, 2014, 04:23:33 PMWhen I purchased my first car (private purchase), the title was transferred to me and the plate did not change. This occurred in Washington. As I remember, "certified" used cars purchased at dealers do not have plates and need to be registered at the local licencing office. However, there are occasions where used car lots have the old plates and those end up getting transferred to the new owner in place of a fresh title. I'm not quite sure what the law is in regards to this, however, I know my car has had the same plate for three owners.
The 2nd car I purchased, back in Sept. of 1993, from a private individual and we just went to a tag place and bought a new registration/plate.

I find the above-situation you're describing legally questionable at best; outright shady/illegal at worst.   Transferring the same plate from owner-to-owner (that aren't even family members) long-term is not a good idea IMHO; unless such a provision is intended to be used as a temporary means of transferring the vehicle over to the new owner until new plates can be secured (at a tag agency, AAA or where-ever).  In most instances, the tag agency will need to see the vehicle to verify the VIN and one can't drive the vehicle to the place without a valid plate/tag on it.

IIRC, in MA; one can temporary place an active license plate on a car (privided that the registration number is indeed their own) and drive it for 2 to 3 days prior to going to the RMV and finalizing the paperwork and either transferring the existing registration to the different vehicle (if it was purchase for a trade-in) or a new plate altogether.  Note: such was true through the 90s; I'm sure if it's still valid/current.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jakeroot

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 16, 2014, 04:40:01 PM
Quote from: jake on June 16, 2014, 04:23:33 PMWhen I purchased my first car (private purchase), the title was transferred to me and the plate did not change. This occurred in Washington. As I remember, "certified" used cars purchased at dealers do not have plates and need to be registered at the local licencing office. However, there are occasions where used car lots have the old plates and those end up getting transferred to the new owner in place of a fresh title. I'm not quite sure what the law is in regards to this, however, I know my car has had the same plate for three owners.
The 2nd car I purchased, back in Sept. of 1993, from a private individual and we just went to a tag place and bought a new registration/plate.

I find the above-situation you're describing legally questionable at best; outright shady/illegal at worst.   Transferring the same plate from owner-to-owner (that aren't even family members) long-term is not a good idea IMHO; unless such a provision is intended to be used as a temporary means of transferring the vehicle over to the new owner until new plates can be secured (at a tag agency, AAA or where-ever).  In most instances, the tag agency will need to see the vehicle to verify the VIN and one can't drive the vehicle to the place without a valid plate/tag on it.

IIRC, in MA; one can temporary place an active license plate on a car (privided that the registration number is indeed their own) and drive it for 2 to 3 days prior to going to the RMV and finalizing the paperwork and either transferring the existing registration to the different vehicle (if it was purchase for a trade-in) or a new plate altogether.  Note: such was true through the 90s; I'm sure if it's still valid/current.

From what I've read and seen, the only reason you get new plates in Washington is when the 7 year lifespan ends, when the are damaged, or if they are stolen.

Also, I did a little looking around my house and what I've previously described is wrong. I got a new title, but the plate number was transferred to me. Sorry for the confusion.  :-D  The car I drive was the first used car my family had ever purchased, so the whole process was mind blowing and rather confusing.

Oh, and I still have the registration from the previous owner. Probably should throw that away?

SidS1045

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 16, 2014, 04:40:01 PMIIRC, in MA; one can temporary place an active license plate on a car (privided that the registration number is indeed their own) and drive it for 2 to 3 days prior to going to the RMV and finalizing the paperwork and either transferring the existing registration to the different vehicle (if it was purchase for a trade-in) or a new plate altogether.  Note: such was true through the 90s; I'm sure if it's still valid/current.

Correct.  Three business days.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Pete from Boston

Probably long-since asked (and admittedly not "news")–what's the motivation for putting county names on plates in some states?  Simply an excuse for police to try the "Long ways from home, ain't ya?" routine?

SP Cook

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 15, 2014, 05:56:40 PM
Probably long-since asked (and admittedly not "news")–what's the motivation for putting county names on plates in some states?  Simply an excuse for police to try the "Long ways from home, ain't ya?" routine?

At least in some of those states, the county has a role in the process.  For example, in Kentucky the elected County Clerk and elected Circuit Clerk split the DL and tag process between them (I never can remember which is which) rather than dealing with a state run DMV office for both as in most states.  Similar in Tennessee.

In others the registration includes a county tax that varies greatly from place to place.

But, yes, I think mostly it is just to identify people "not from around here".  You will not that it is mostly states where the local culture will vary greatly among regions.

Playing lists, I count Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Kansas, Indiana, Mississippi, and Florida as spelling out the county name in full on standard plates.  Ohio went from that to a sticker with each county numbered a few years ago.  Alabama and Nebraska indicate the county in the number itself in some way, while Virginia has a county or city tax sticker that goes next to its (weirdly and distractingly in the milddle of the windshield) inspection sticker.

thenetwork

^^ You can add Iowa to the list of plates with a county name sticker on them.

1995hoo

Quote from: SP Cook on July 16, 2014, 07:01:25 AM
.... while Virginia has a county or city tax sticker that goes next to its (weirdly and distractingly in the milddle of the windshield) inspection sticker.

Many counties and cities have done away with the county sticker. Here in Fairfax County we pay the fee for the sticker (they call it a "county registration fee") but we no longer have to display a sticker. For the first few years after they stopped issuing them, I kept my old county stickers on my cars so that if I drove into the City of Alexandria they'd see I was from Fairfax County and not give me a ticket for not having the decal, since Alexandria continued to require the city decal (and they still do).

The inspection sticker isn't distracting at all if you're used to it. Since I've always had Virginia plates, the vast majority of my driving has been in cars with the Virginia inspection sticker. I've never noticed it at all. The sticker that WAS found to be distracting, and was discontinued, was in the very early 1980s there was an emissions inspection decal that was to go on the lower left (driver's side) corner of the windshield. That was quickly scrapped. Emissions results are now sent electronically to the DMV.

But anyway, returning to the question of license plates with the county name: So I gather in those states if you move to another county, you have to get new license plates. Can you get the same plate number re-issued with the new county name or do they divide that up as well (no doubt this may vary by state, unless you have a personalized tag)? How about if you get a non-county design, such as the standard-design Florida plate that says "Sunshine State" instead of the county name?

It just seems far more complicated and costly than it needs to be to issue county-specific license plates as the standard. The Virginia county sticker system is a lot cheaper and easier because you just scrape off the sticker and put on a new one if your jurisdiction(s) require them.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Big John

^^ In GA, if you switch counties, you just get a new county sticker to put on your plate.  If you don't want to have your county shown you can instead show your religious affirmation by placing a "In God We Trust" sticker over the county name.

formulanone

Quote from: Big John on July 16, 2014, 09:49:51 AM
^^ In GA, if you switch counties, you just get a new county sticker to put on your plate.  If you don't want to have your county shown you can instead show your religious affirmation by placing a "In God We Trust" sticker over the county name.

Florida does the same - I'm not sure if you can still pick "Sunshine State" in place of your county, either.

Slightly off topic, I bought a new plate upon moving to Alabama ten months ago. Instead of keeping my perfectly good "old style" plate, they want everyone to get new ones before the year is out. At least I can keep our old ones, but it's wasteful nonsense.

1995hoo

Quote from: formulanone on July 16, 2014, 11:00:26 AM

Florida does the same - I'm not sure if you can still pick "Sunshine State" in place of your county, either.

Wait, I don't follow here. Florida plates I've seen with the county name pretty much always have the county name embossed in the plate as raised characters (so, for example, if your plate had raised characters for plate number "ABC-123," underneath that on the bottom edge it might have raised characters reading, say, "BREVARD"). Are you saying if you move to another county they just give you a sticker to apply over the embossed county name? It's the embossed nature of it that had me puzzled and thinking you'd have to get new plates issued.

Edited to add: From what I found on the Florida DMV's website (or whatever they call their DMV....a Google search led me there), you can still get "Sunshine State." See brochure: http://www.flhsmv.gov/html/tagbrochure.pdf  But it doesn't answer my question about moving to a different county if you get the county-name plate.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vtk

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 16, 2014, 09:42:04 AM
But anyway, returning to the question of license plates with the county name: So I gather in those states if you move to another county, you have to get new license plates. Can you get the same plate number re-issued with the new county name or do they divide that up as well (no doubt this may vary by state, unless you have a personalized tag)? How about if you get a non-county design, such as the standard-design Florida plate that says "Sunshine State" instead of the county name?

I think in Ohio you can just wait until your birthday to renew your registration in the new county, then you get new county stickers to place atop the old ones on your existing license plate.  (Even the spelled-out county name was a sticker in Ohio, at least in the gold-gradient era.)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Brandon

Quote from: formulanone on July 16, 2014, 11:00:26 AM

Slightly off topic, I bought a new plate upon moving to Alabama ten months ago. Instead of keeping my perfectly good "old style" plate, they want everyone to get new ones before the year is out. At least I can keep our old ones, but it's wasteful nonsense.

Florida used to have the very popular "Lease County".

We've had to switch out plates in some states (such as Illinois) for a long time now when a new design comes out.  Usually the reflectivity on the old ones is gone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.