I-165 Kentucky (William H. Natcher Green River Parkway)

Started by Grzrd, February 24, 2015, 01:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdindy88

I just hope that they aren't changing the exit numbers back to what they original were. The northern end of what is now I-165 was Exit 70 at the Owensboro Bypass. Then it got changed to Exit 72. If it becomes Exit 70 again....

Making exit signs in Kentucky must be a lucrative business with this, along with all the renumbering on the other Kentucky parkways to the west.

hbelkins

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 07, 2019, 09:49:14 AM
I just hope that they aren't changing the exit numbers back to what they original were. The northern end of what is now I-165 was Exit 70 at the Owensboro Bypass. Then it got changed to Exit 72. If it becomes Exit 70 again....

Making exit signs in Kentucky must be a lucrative business with this, along with all the renumbering on the other Kentucky parkways to the west.

My counterpart in Bowling Green tells me the exit numbers may not be the same as they were before, but I don't know why they wouldn't be.

I'm guessing that US 231 (Scottsville Road) IS on the NHS, but I don't know why the interstate designation doesn't extend to there.

Saw some pictures posted today of the first signage changes (on I-65 approaching the exit) and KY 9007 is being signed for the Natcher Parkway extension. This is now Kentucky's highest-numbered posted highway (previously a number of 6000-series frontage roads would have competed for that honor).

Interesting to note that they're using greenout for the route markers. Kentucky typically uses demountable copy and route markers, so I don't know why they chose to use greenout.

The toll booth cloverleafs have not yet been reconfigured. I guess they're signing it now because Congress dictated that it be signed. Sen. Rand Paul pushed this, probably because he lives in Bowling Green.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: hbelkins on March 07, 2019, 11:18:41 AM
Saw some pictures posted today of the first signage changes (on I-65 approaching the exit) and KY 9007 is being signed for the Natcher Parkway extension. This is now Kentucky's highest-numbered posted highway (previously a number of 6000-series frontage roads would have competed for that honor).

Here's a picture that I spotted on WBKO's website.
https://www.wbko.com/content/news/Crews-work-to-change-William-H-Natcher-signage-to-I-165-506830131.html

jnewkirk77

Supposedly Plano Rd (KY 622) is changing to Exit 0, so I have a feeling we're gonna split the difference between the original and current exit numbers. I-65 would be exits 1A and 1B, and US 60/231 would be 71A and 71B ... that is, if it goes as I think it's going.

UPDATE: District 3 posted the new exit numbers ... I was close.

1A/1B - I-65
3 - US 31W (Nashville Rd.)
5 - US 68/KY 80 (Russellville Rd.)
7 - US 231 (Morgantown Rd.)
26 - US 231/KY 79 (S. Main St.)
27 - KY 70 (Veterans Way)
33 - US 231 (Beaver Dam Rd.)
41A/41B - WK Parkway
47 - KY 69
70A/70B - US 60/231 (Wendell H. Ford Expwy.)

I'm OK with the greenouts, but why not at least center them???

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on March 06, 2019, 11:06:54 PM
Say hello to I-165!

]https://www.wbko.com/content/news/Natcher-Parkway-officially-changing-to-I-165-506778581.html]

I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't call it the "first addition to the interstate system since 1992", like they kept doing for I-11 when it opened...

hbelkins

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on March 07, 2019, 11:55:03 PM
Supposedly Plano Rd (KY 622) is changing to Exit 0, so I have a feeling we're gonna split the difference between the original and current exit numbers. I-65 would be exits 1A and 1B, and US 60/231 would be 71A and 71B ... that is, if it goes as I think it's going.

UPDATE: District 3 posted the new exit numbers ... I was close.

1A/1B - I-65
3 - US 31W (Nashville Rd.)
5 - US 68/KY 80 (Russellville Rd.)
7 - US 231 (Morgantown Rd.)
26 - US 231/KY 79 (S. Main St.)
27 - KY 70 (Veterans Way)
33 - US 231 (Beaver Dam Rd.)
41A/41B - WK Parkway
47 - KY 69
70A/70B - US 60/231 (Wendell H. Ford Expwy.)

I'm OK with the greenouts, but why not at least center them???

Most of those exit numbers are the same as what they were before the extension to US 231 was built. I think the US 31W, US 231 north of Morgantown, and KY 69 are one different than what they were before.

I also understand that the greenout signs are temporary, and that totally new signage is going to be installed. You can see the bases for the support posts for the new signs behind that one example that's been pictured on I-65. That's probably not a bad idea, as the signage along the parkway has been there for quite some time and probably doesn't meet modern reflectivity standards.

Now, maybe they'll add KY 80 to the US 68 exit signage.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: hbelkins on March 08, 2019, 11:21:39 AM

Most of those exit numbers are the same as what they were before the extension to US 231 was built. I think the US 31W, US 231 north of Morgantown, and KY https://www.aaroads.com/forum/Themes/Button_Copy/images/bbc/table.gif69 are one different than what they were before.

I also understand that the greenout signs are temporary, and that totally new signage is going to be installed. You can see the bases for the support posts for the new signs behind that one example that's been pictured on I-65. That's probably not a bad idea, as the signage along the parkway has been there for quite some time and probably doesn't meet modern reflectivity standards.

Now, maybe they'll add KY 80 to the US 68 exit signage.

Yes. Going strictly from memory, US 231 at the old toll plaza was 34, and KY 69 was 48.  I want to say US 31W was 4, but I'm not 100% sure on that.  They won't have to change one sign NB just before US 60/231 ... it never got changed from 70 to 72.  Oops.

A lot of the signs are getting pretty rough.  It'll be nice to see 'em replaced.

The Ghostbuster

Now that Interstate 165 has been officially designated, will the William Natcher Parkway name be decommissioned, like the Pennyrile Parkway name was done away with when it officially became part of Interstates 69 and 169?

sparker

Some speculation:  now that Natcher's I-165, Pennyrile's a combo of I-69 & I-169, and the west end of WKY is also I-69 -- how long will it be before KY boosters push an Interstate designation for at least the remainder of the WKY if not the whole ball of wax, including the (former) Bluegrass toward Lexington?  I can see some reticence regarding the Bluegrass, seeing as how no realistic plan for connecting its east end to either I-64 or I-75 has gotten terribly far -- but the WKY, being a direct feed into I-69 (and eventually a commercial-traffic Nashville "avoider"), seems like one of the closest things to a "slam-dunk" as far as speculative Interstate corridors are concerned.   

hbelkins

Quote from: sparker on March 08, 2019, 04:28:44 PM
Some speculation:  now that Natcher's I-165, Pennyrile's a combo of I-69 & I-169, and the west end of WKY is also I-69 -- how long will it be before KY boosters push an Interstate designation for at least the remainder of the WKY if not the whole ball of wax, including the (former) Bluegrass toward Lexington?  I can see some reticence regarding the Bluegrass, seeing as how no realistic plan for connecting its east end to either I-64 or I-75 has gotten terribly far -- but the WKY, being a direct feed into I-69 (and eventually a commercial-traffic Nashville "avoider"), seems like one of the closest things to a "slam-dunk" as far as speculative Interstate corridors are concerned.   

Kentucky really isn't like North Carolina, so unless someone in the federal delegation pushes the issue, it probably won't happen.

sparker

Quote from: hbelkins on March 08, 2019, 09:29:32 PM

Kentucky really isn't like North Carolina, so unless someone in the federal delegation pushes the issue, it probably won't happen.

That's probably correct; it'll likely take a push from a KY Congressional critter to get something like an I-designation for WKY off the ground.  The one thing I can see mitigating against that happening is that there just aren't many large towns along WKY -- or Bluegrass, for that matter -- that would instigate such a push (unlike the various Owensboro officials who have stirred a similar pot from time to time).  It would have to come from someone who looks at a map and decides the designation is a good idea -- and can connect with the right people to promote such a thing. 

wdcrft63

Quote from: hbelkins on March 08, 2019, 09:29:32 PM

It's also true that in North Carolina the impetus for interstate expansion has come initially from localities. The difference is that North Carolina really has a lot of medium size cities that can become interested in having an interstate connection. Kentucky doesn't have so many.

jnewkirk77

The WK could easily be an extension of I-71. It lines up nicely if you look at it on a map.

sparker

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on March 10, 2019, 01:18:50 AM
The WK could easily be an extension of I-71. It lines up nicely if you look at it on a map.

Actually, that's not a half-bad idea; a short multiplex down I-65 wouldn't be totally unreasonable.  But eventually some sort of direct connection/flyover from the EB WKY to NB I-65 would need to be constructed -- along with the usual elimination of the "bowtie" former tollbooth ramps along WKY's length.  Nevertheless, it'll still need some political impetus and follow-up moxie for such a designation change to happen -- much less programming the upgrades. 

hbelkins

Quote from: sparker on March 10, 2019, 01:45:06 AM
Quote from: jnewkirk77 on March 10, 2019, 01:18:50 AM

Actually, that's not a half-bad idea; a short multiplex down I-65 wouldn't be totally unreasonable.  But eventually some sort of direct connection/flyover from the EB WKY to NB I-65 would need to be constructed -- along with the usual elimination of the "bowtie" former tollbooth ramps along WKY's length.  Nevertheless, it'll still need some political impetus and follow-up moxie for such a designation change to happen -- much less programming the upgrades.

There's only one of those left now, at US 431/KY 70 at Central City.

The Ghostbuster

I would number the rest of the Western Kentucky Parkway Interstate 269, but I suppose numbering it as an extension of Interstate 71 is not a bad idea either.

mvak36

I'm guessing that US 231 (Scottsville Road) IS on the NHS, but I don't know why the interstate designation doesn't extend to there.

The only other thing I can think of is that it had to start at I-65 since it's a spur off of it. But there are plenty of examples where that's not the case, like I-355 in Illinois.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

sparker

^^^^^^^^
I-355's an odd duck -- it not only crosses its parent, but terminates at two other Interstates: I-80 at the south end and I-290 at the north.  By all rights it should be I-455 -- but what's done is done, and it's been around for 30+ years as it is, so it's unlikely to ever change (particularly in Chicagoland!).  :-/

Getting back to I-165: I wonder which poster will get the first reassurance shield pix?

hbelkins

Quote from: mvak36 on March 14, 2019, 12:22:26 AM

The only other thing I can think of is that it had to start at I-65 since it's a spur off of it. But there are plenty of examples where that's not the case, like I-355 in Illinois.

Former I-181 is the one that comes to my mind.

bandit957

When will this be shown in the official shapefiles?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

ilpt4u

Quote from: sparker on March 14, 2019, 12:48:14 AM
^^^^^^^^
I-355's an odd duck -- it not only crosses its parent, but terminates at two other Interstates: I-80 at the south end and I-290 at the north.  By all rights it should be I-455 -- but what's done is done, and it's been around for 30+ years as it is, so it's unlikely to ever change (particularly in Chicagoland!).  :-/
At one point, I-455 was considered for the former North-South Tollway, to the point maps were printed with the 455 designation

Souced from https://www.interstate-guide.com/i-355_il.html

Also, when it first opened, the route endpoints were I-55 and I-290. The Southern Extension to I-80 came later.

Maybe someday, the Northern Corridor Extension to IL 120 can occur, and number the whole corridor 355

Regarding I-165, any chance KYTC and INDOT work to extend the designation, along US 231 to at least I-64? That stretch is already high quality, mostly limited access divided highway.

NWI_Irish96

231 between I-64 and the Ohio River is a four lane divided highway, but nowhere near limited access.  There are a lot of intersections, and Indiana has no interest in spending that kind of money on a road that is that lightly traveled.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

sparker

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 14, 2019, 02:42:01 PM
Regarding I-165, any chance KYTC and INDOT work to extend the designation, along US 231 to at least I-64? That stretch is already high quality, mostly limited access divided highway.

That would be a not-bad idea; but chances are that despite any upgrades in KY (such as upgrades of the Natcher/US 60 interchange and replacing the north/east US 231/60 intersection with an interchange) the issue will be INDOT and their fiscal situation.  Maybe after section 6 of the I-69 extension is done, something like this could be revisited in IN -- but for the time being anything involving IN might be dicey at best.  A more likely scenario is some sort of extension westward over US 60 and segueing over to the Audubon Parkway, terminating at I-69 at Henderson.  Keeps the whole corridor in one jurisdiction -- and at one time the I-369 designation was considered for the Audubon.  But if either an Audubon or US 231 extension were to gain serious consideration, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Owensboro mayoral office (regardless of occupant; they all have seemed to be infected with Interstate fever!) suggest a designation change to a 2di (maybe I-63?).

ilpt4u

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 14, 2019, 04:54:13 PM
231 between I-64 and the Ohio River is a four lane divided highway, but nowhere near limited access.  There are a lot of intersections, and Indiana has no interest in spending that kind of money on a road that is that lightly traveled.
I've driven it - not a whole lot of intersections. I don't recall many lights at all. And not much in the ways of driveways either.

It is certainly not fully access controlled, but access is limited/controlled to a point

Plenty of ROW and land for frontage roads and grade separations, if an Interstate upgrade were ever to pass.

I confess, this would be years down the road. Not saying put Shields up tomorrow

jnewkirk77

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 14, 2019, 05:57:52 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on March 14, 2019, 04:54:13 PM
I've driven it - not a whole lot of intersections. I don't recall many lights at all. And not much in the ways of driveways either.

It is certainly not fully access controlled, but access is limited/controlled to a point

Plenty of ROW and land for frontage roads and grade separations, if an Interstate upgrade were ever to pass.

I confess, this would be years down the road. Not saying put Shields up tomorrow

By my count, there are 10 at-grade intersections and 3 interchanges.

And I'm working to get a shield shot ... they aren't far enough north yet for my route to take me past one. Hopefully they get north of the WKP soon!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.