News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-80 Caltrans chain checkpoint at Nevada state line

Started by lstone19, January 12, 2023, 09:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lstone19

Having recently moved to Reno, I'm really curious how Caltrans runs their chain checkpoint when they say chains or snow tires are required on I-80 West at the Nevada state line. From looking at the NDOT webcam at Exit 1 (Verdi), it looks like Caltrans actually checks in Nevada before Exit 1 (the webcam looks west at the exit but the check, if it's there, is behind the camera). But it looks like a lot of traffic also uses 3rd Street / Gold Ranch Rd / Old US 40 / BL 80 which runs parallel to 80 for the last mile before Exit 1 (that's how Google Maps told me to go the other day if I was actually going). Is there also a chain check on that road or are they just breezing by and bypassing what looks like a long, slow backup approaching the check point?

I have no intention of driving in those conditions without being properly equipped. Since moving, I've only had to deal with Caltrans chain controls once which was going east over Donner at 1am on a Sunday morning with almost no traffic (most trucks had pulled over to wait it out). Cruised up to the checkpoint at Kingvale with no line, worker saw my Subaru with three-day old M+S tires, and waved me on without further checking. Only issue was that when I started down, the east end of the control area was the state line but after I was east of Truckee, they brought it up to Truckee with nothing to tell those of us east of Truckee that we were out of chain control. The fog kept my speed down to close to 30mph until in Nevada so not knowing really didn't make any difference to my speed.

Max Rockatansky

CHP does check in Nevada.  Seemingly this is done as a cooperative due to the impracticality of having no solid turnaround point in the Truckee River Canyon.

cl94

Chain checkpoint is at Exit 1 and trucks are screened for chains at the parking area just east of Exit 5. Easier this way and it's in Nevada's best interest to keep the canyon open as much as possible.

AFAIK, this is the only CHP chain checkpoint that isn't in California. All of the others are either just or well inside California. For example, US 50's checkpoint is west of SR 89. NDOT/NHP do not do checkpoints, but they will ticket you if you crash and don't have proper equipment.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

lstone19

Quote from: cl94 on January 12, 2023, 11:20:13 PM
Chain checkpoint is at Exit 1 and trucks are screened for chains at the parking area just east of Exit 5. Easier this way and it's in Nevada's best interest to keep the canyon open as much as possible.

AFAIK, this is the only CHP chain checkpoint that isn't in California. All of the others are either just or well inside California. For example, US 50's checkpoint is west of SR 89. NDOT/NHP do not do checkpoints, but they will ticket you if you crash and don't have proper equipment.

I'm aware of the Mogul truck checkpoint. What's odd is that from watching the NDOT Exit 1 webcam, it looks like a lot of trucks get turned around at Exit 1. How did they get that far?

Regarding 50 and from having lived in the Bay Area in the 80s and 90s and a number of winter trips up there, I've never heard of chain controls ever being in effect between Meyers (50/89 west/south split) and the state line.

No answer yet about does traffic that bypasses 80 on old 40 (and its various names) get checked before getting on 80 at the Exit 1 entrance.

Also aware that NDOT/NHP don't check. Our new home (1-1/2 weeks until we close) is about 1/2 mile up Geiger Grade so takes us past the chains required sign when we go that way (other routes available if they've closed it from the bottom as I hear sometimes happen).

cl94

Geiger Grade almost never closes, so you're fine there. Of course, that had been said about Kingsbury Grade (SR 207) prior to this winter and that has already closed twice this month. Meyers is indeed where the checkpoint is on 50. There are never chain controls within South Lake Tahoe city limits or east of the SR 89 roundabout along US 50, but most of the unincorporated areas (including all of 50 in Nevada and 28 in Tahoe City/ Kings Beach/ Incline) can be subject to them. US 50 on the Nevada side was under an equivalent to R2 chain controls west of Glenwood this morning when I was up at the lake.

No idea about Old 40. While I am a government employee in the region, that's outside my jurisdiction and I have not been over there when the checkpoints are active.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

gonealookin

Local jurisdictions can also have ordinances regarding chain control.  I don't think the City of South Lake Tahoe does, but El Dorado County, California has one:

QuoteSec. 10.08.090. - Tire traction control devices.

A.  Tire traction devices required.  In accordance with California Vehicle Code §§ 27459 and 27460, no person shall operate any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer upon any portion of a County highway or road without tire traction devices (as defined by State law) when that portion of the highway or road is signed for the requirement of tire traction devices.

B.  Signage.  The Director of Transportation or designee shall have the authority to place signs setting forth said requirements.

C.  Penalties.  Violations of this section constitute an infraction punishable by a fine as set forth in California Vehicle Code, § 42001.

(Ord. No. 5054 , § 1, 7-25-2017)

This would never be enforced by a checkpoint, and as to the signs, they aren't common but there are a few permanent installations on county-maintained roads, such as this one on Pioneer Trail, which reads "Traction control required when necessary to maintain traction on county roads".  https://goo.gl/maps/SXe2tmgRuwSb6jQT9  Somebody would have to make a determination as to when it was "necessary to maintain traction" in order to impose a fine though.

lstone19

Quote from: gonealookin on January 13, 2023, 01:40:38 PM
Local jurisdictions can also have ordinances regarding chain control.  I don't think the City of South Lake Tahoe does, but El Dorado County, California has one:

QuoteSec. 10.08.090. - Tire traction control devices.

A.  Tire traction devices required.  In accordance with California Vehicle Code §§ 27459 and 27460, no person shall operate any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer upon any portion of a County highway or road without tire traction devices (as defined by State law) when that portion of the highway or road is signed for the requirement of tire traction devices.

B.  Signage.  The Director of Transportation or designee shall have the authority to place signs setting forth said requirements.

C.  Penalties.  Violations of this section constitute an infraction punishable by a fine as set forth in California Vehicle Code, § 42001.

(Ord. No. 5054 , § 1, 7-25-2017)

This would never be enforced by a checkpoint, and as to the signs, they aren't common but there are a few permanent installations on county-maintained roads, such as this one on Pioneer Trail, which reads "Traction control required when necessary to maintain traction on county roads".  https://goo.gl/maps/SXe2tmgRuwSb6jQT9  Somebody would have to make a determination as to when it was "necessary to maintain traction" in order to impose a fine though.

Back in Oct 2021, we stayed in Bass Lake (south of Yosemite of CA 41) for a visit to Yosemite. The non-state highways between 41 and Bass Lake had "Chains Required"  signs identical to the signs Caltrains uses on state highways.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.