News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Summerlin Pkwy/CC-215 Interchange

Started by roadfro, March 04, 2023, 03:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Looks like we'll finally get a full freeway-to-freeway interchange at this junction...

Summerlin Parkway/215 interchange set for major overhaul, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 2/20/2023
The interchange to Summerlin Parkway is set for a major overhaul as Summerlin continues to grow and officials look to make the 215 Beltway in the northwest a full freeway in all areas.

The $100 million project is set to begin sometime this year – the exact date has yet to be determined – and will last 18 months.

The project includes the reconfiguration of interchange ramps and the construction of new ramps, four new roadway bridges, and widening the existing Summerlin Parkway bridge, according to Clark County spokesman Erik Pappa.

Work also calls for three new trail bridges for the city of Las Vegas trail, retaining walls, storm drainage facilities, curb and gutter upgrades, sidewalks, street lighting, traffic signal modifications, utility modifications and relocations, traffic control devices/signage, and pavement markings.

That was the extent of the article.

I haven't come across any websites for the project or anything, so no ideas what the new configuration will be. I doubt we'll have a three-level interchange here. Four new bridges potentially suggests ramp braiding along the 215 between the Summerlin Pkwy & Far Hills Ave interchanges, and maybe 2-3 new directional ramps. (I've always wondered what the plan has been for this unused undercrossing from the last revamp of the interchange...maybe part of a SB>EB ramp?)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Plutonic Panda

I sent a few emails hopefully someone will respond. I too am curious what they propose. Anything will help. 100 million sounds about right for a traditional Y stack interchange with direct connectors for all of the freeway to freeway movements but given the complexity of this interchange and what the article said it seems the project focuses on more than just that.

The Ghostbuster

My question is how will they build a system interchange at the CC-215/NV 613 junction that would not require tearing down houses where the 613W-215N ramp would be constructed? Is there enough space to do so (and that includes also building a 613W-to-215S ramp)? It looks like there would be enough space to construct the other movements within the interchange without too much disruption.

roadfro

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 05, 2023, 11:56:34 AM
My question is how will they build a system interchange at the CC-215/NV 613 junction that would not require tearing down houses where the 613W-215N ramp would be constructed? Is there enough space to do so (and that includes also building a 613W-to-215S ramp)? It looks like there would be enough space to construct the other movements within the interchange without too much disruption.

It seems to me that there is plenty of space to put in a WB-to-NB ramp within the existing interchange ROW, as the property line abutting the houses in the northeast quadrant has very deliberate curve. It may not be a ramp that drivers can ultimately take at full freeway speed, but it wouldn't be a slow speed ramp either. This is actually one of the things I was quite annoyed with when the interchange got its first reconfiguration during the 215's upgrade from interim facility to full freeway through this stretch–it seemed like there was more than enough space to implement a more permanent WB-to-NB ramp during the initial reconstruction, but instead we got the current hard right turn (with NTOR restriction) at the signal.

I'm thinking the SB-to-EB ramp will be what utilizes the unused undercrossing on the west side of the interchange...that seems like it would match up with the curvature of the beltway trail (which also seems very deliberate). They'd just need to replace the EB-to-SB ramp somehow.

And now thinking about it some more, we might not get ramp braiding with Far Hills. But I'm still thinking a flyover for the WB-to-SB movement may be out of the cards unless they also relocate some power lines running through the interchange.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

cl94

I mean, Nevada isn't afraid to tear down a few houses to rebuild an interchange. A block or two in Reno will come down for the rest of the Spaghetti Bowl rebuild. But there is plenty of room for a full system interchange without removing any buildings.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: roadfro on March 05, 2023, 02:12:38 PM
And now thinking about it some more, we might not get ramp braiding with Far Hills. But I'm still thinking a flyover for the WB-to-SB movement may be out of the cards unless they also relocate some power lines running through the interchange.
Maybe not ramp braiding, but there's definitely room under the current bridge for a separated C/D lane for traffic entering from Far Hills and exiting to 613 east.  I assume they don't plan for Summerlin Parkway to continue further west from 215.

roadfro

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on March 07, 2023, 11:44:43 PM
Maybe not ramp braiding, but there's definitely room under the current bridge for a separated C/D lane for traffic entering from Far Hills and exiting to 613 east.  I assume they don't plan for Summerlin Parkway to continue further west from 215.
Summerlin Pkwy is planned to eventually continue west of the 215, but as an arterial street and not a freeway. Satellite views in Google Maps starting to show housing developments creeping closer to the parkway alignment west of 215, so some westward extension is likely to come with this project or soon after.

The Ghostbuster

I doubt any Summerlin Parkway westward extension would be very long, since you would get to the mountains before going too far.

brad2971

Quote from: roadfro on March 08, 2023, 12:38:54 AM
Quote from: Occidental Tourist on March 07, 2023, 11:44:43 PM
Summerlin Pkwy is planned to eventually continue west of the 215, but as an arterial street and not a freeway. Satellite views in Google Maps starting to show housing developments creeping closer to the parkway alignment west of 215, so some westward extension is likely to come with this project or soon after.

Considering how much buildout is happening west of 215, per https://www.google.com/maps/place/Summerlin,+Las+Vegas,+NV/@36.1901171,-115.345499,4822m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x80c8bfdd4a718369:0xbf6ad6ea11a16ac9!8m2!3d36.1895728!4d-115.3036584!16zL20vMDJfODh6

And considering that there are two exits (Lake Mead Blvd and Far Hills Ave) right next to Summerlin Pkwy, it makes one wonder why Summerlin Pkwy should even be extended past 215. Just simply build the wye interchange and be done with it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.