News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

When will the interstate highway system ever be complete?

Started by MantyMadTown, February 25, 2019, 03:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MantyMadTown

With the completion of I-95 between Pennsylvania and New Jersey last year, the original plan of the Interstate Highway System is now complete. However, numerous other routes have been created and improved on between now and when much of the original interstate system was developed in the 50s and 60s. There has also been plenty of ideas for new interstates from those of us on the forum. So far, the US highway system has largely been superseded by the interstate system, so I imagine plenty of new interstate routes being created in the future. What I'm wondering is, when will we stop creating new routes for interstates? Will we ever?

This is also going off of my question of whether there would be new US highways: with the constant expansion and changing of our highway systems, how would we consider one to be "complete"?
Forget the I-41 haters

MNHighwayMan

As you have phrased it, I don't think that is a meaningful question to ask. "Completion" implies that at some point, all of our goals will be reached and we will be done, but as I'm sure you're aware, providing adequate transportation is a never ending chore.

However, as technology advances and changes, there will be a point in the future where no new Interstates will be built. Thus, I think it is more appropriate to ask "have we reached the maximum extent of the Interstate system?" And with the number of planned projects still in the various phases of development, that time is a long way off. Probably not in our lifetimes, IMO.

Henry

Probably never, but that's why we have all those great ideas floating around here...

Counterpoint: It'll also be the time when the US Highway system becomes totally obsolete. And once again, that'll never happen in our lifetimes either, no matter how badly FritzOwl wants it to happen.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MantyMadTown

Quote from: Henry on February 25, 2019, 02:00:00 PM
Probably never, but that's why we have all those great ideas floating around here...

Counterpoint: It'll also be the time when the US Highway system becomes totally obsolete. And once again, that'll never happen in our lifetimes either, no matter how badly FritzOwl wants it to happen.

Well unlike FritzOwl, I don't want the US Highway system to become obsolete. I think both the Interstate system and the US Highway system can be compatible with each other.
Forget the I-41 haters

kphoger

OTOH, if the original plan of the IHS is now complete, then I might consider the system to be complete already.  All future expansions are just extra.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

nexus73

Quote from: kphoger on February 25, 2019, 03:09:35 PM
OTOH, if the original plan of the IHS is now complete, then I might consider the system to be complete already.  All future expansions are just extra.

That pretty much sums it up from my POV.  Boy did it take a long time to get the original layout completed!  Since I was born in 1955 and the last section of I-95 was not completed until 2018, that is almost my entire lifetime. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Roadsguy

You could look at all current proposals and guess when they will all be complete, not factoring in any future proposals, but with some proposals like I-73/74 being flat out ignored by some states, it won't ever be complete by this definition.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

skluth

As long as fixable breaks like Breezewood exist, the interstate system will not be complete.

Beltway

Quote from: skluth on February 26, 2019, 12:25:53 PM
As long as fixable breaks like Breezewood exist, the interstate system will not be complete.

Breezewood is a missing link in the original Interstate highway system. 

A discontinuity in I-70.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

US71

Quote from: kphoger on February 25, 2019, 03:09:35 PM

Like I-57 in Arkansas, I-49 in Arkansas and Missouri, and the Bud Shuster Pork Barrel Pork Barrel Freeway ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 25, 2019, 03:48:20 AM
As you have phrased it, I don't think that is a meaningful question to ask. "Completion" implies that at some point, all of our goals will be reached and we will be done, but as I'm sure you're aware, providing adequate transportation is a never ending chore.

However, as technology advances and changes, there will be a point in the future where no new Interstates will be built. Thus, I think it is more appropriate to ask "have we reached the maximum extent of the Interstate system?" And with the number of planned projects still in the various phases of development, that time is a long way off. Probably not in our lifetimes, IMO.
Well when every road is an interstate, there won't be many more to build.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MantyMadTown

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 26, 2019, 05:35:47 PM

That will not happen. Local roads will still be local roads.
Forget the I-41 haters

vdeane

Quote from: MantyMadTown on February 26, 2019, 05:50:33 PM

I'm sure North Carolina will get around to them eventually.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: vdeane on February 26, 2019, 07:33:02 PM

I don't think you realize how impractical it would be for every single road to become an interstate. You have to have exits to somewhere, and it would require massive amounts of land to build all of the roads and interchanges to freeway standards, not to mention how expensive it would be.

For the sake of this thread, I'm talking about roads that could realistically be turned into interstates, not your pipe dream.
Forget the I-41 haters

Roadsguy

Quote from: MantyMadTown on February 26, 2019, 08:45:34 PM
Quote from: vdeane on February 26, 2019, 07:33:02 PM

I don't think you realize how impractical it would be for every single road to become an interstate. You have to have exits to somewhere, and it would require massive amounts of land to build all of the roads and interchanges to freeway standards, not to mention how expensive it would be.

For the sake of this thread, I'm talking about roads that could realistically be turned into interstates, not your pipe dream.

Whoosh?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

NWI_Irish96

As the population grows, there will never be an end to converting existing roads to freeways and/or building new freeways.  There may come a point when those freeways stop being designated as interstates.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hotdogPi

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 27, 2019, 08:44:54 AM
On February 30.

This won't happen in the US, but:

2/28 UTC+12
2/29 UTC+12
2/30 UTC-12
3/1 UTC-12
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SP Cook

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 27, 2019, 08:11:07 AM
As the population grows, there will never be an end to converting existing roads to freeways and/or building new freeways.  There may come a point when those freeways stop being designated as interstates.

The first part is certainly correct.  As long as the USA stays on the right track, the population will grow and prosperity will continue and we will need more and more roads. 

As to stopping calling them interstates, I think this is a good idea, but people do not work that way.  People know what (with exceptions so trivial they are only discussed here) an "interstate" is.  It will always be easier to be for "building I-**" than "building a fully limited access stoplight free upgrade to US ** between X and Y".  It is just a better sound bite.

Beltway

Quote from: SP Cook on February 27, 2019, 08:58:43 AM
As to stopping calling them interstates, I think this is a good idea, but people do not work that way.  People know what (with exceptions so trivial they are only discussed here) an "interstate" is.  It will always be easier to be for "building I-**" than "building a fully limited access stoplight free upgrade to US ** between X and Y".  It is just a better sound bite.

The FHWA definition of "freeway" has become much more widely known in the last 20 or 30 years.  Just use that one-word term for that type of highway.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Ned Weasel

Quote from: SP Cook on February 27, 2019, 08:58:43 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on February 27, 2019, 08:11:07 AM

The first part is certainly correct.  As long as the USA stays on the right track, the population will grow and prosperity will continue and we will need more and more roads. 

I disagree.  Population growth need not imply personal automobile transportation growth.  We can and should invest in public transit infrastructure, in coordination with walkable, higher-density, mixed-use communities, and safe bicycle transportation.  Most of the developed world has gone in this direction, and so can North America.  The Interstate Highway System served its purpose, but, as far as system expansion is concerned, let us consider it complete.  New improvements should be only for safety and public transit accommodation, not for increased personal automobile traffic flow.  Incomplete routes such as I-49, I-69, I-73, and I-74 should be reconsidered (some ideas here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24474.0).
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

SP Cook

Well, no.  The job of government is to provide people with what they want, not to purposefully ignore needed improvements in order to force people into lifestyles they do not want.

There will be new cities in the future, and those cities will need good roads to connect to downtowns to the lifestyle the majority wants, the single family home in the suburb.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: SP Cook on February 27, 2019, 12:30:46 PM
the lifestyle the majority wants, the single family home in the suburb.

[citation needed]

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Quillz

Quote from: MantyMadTown on February 25, 2019, 02:43:10 PM
Quote from: Henry on February 25, 2019, 02:00:00 PM

Well unlike FritzOwl, I don't want the US Highway system to become obsolete. I think both the Interstate system and the US Highway system can be compatible with each other.
It won't. For example, US-101 between Eureka, CA and Brookings, OR is four-laned and effectively a freeway in many places, but not everywhere (due to geography). And even those freeway segments have 7% grades, not allowed for interstates. So no matter what, there will always be a need for a secondary national system, which the US routes provide.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.