News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

"Stay Alive" signage in NJ?

Started by _Simon, February 21, 2013, 10:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Simon

I can't find a picture, or remember the complete text, but I've started seeing signs a couple years ago with a large stopwatch on them with 6 lines of relatively large text on a sign about the size of an "Exit" gore sign along NJ interstates.  Completely from memory it says something like "Plan ahead: Stay Alive" with 5 ridiculously hard-to-read phrases from "Leave early" to "Arrive alive" or something similar.  Was any study done on these?  I can't even read the entire text and I'm trying to, let alone casually glance at it and subconsciously change my driving habits because of it.   Any links to a photo would be appreciated!  These are harder to read than the sponsors on the old tiny adopt-a-highway signs with the graphic of the road that leads to the horizon.

MASTERNC

That would be on the westbound AC Expressway, probably for those traveling late night after gambling & drinking.  There are two sets of 3 signs (the last of each set just says "Stay Alive").  The second set has flashing beacons, I believe.

_Simon

No, I'm talking about a single sign, and while I don't know if it's on the ACE, there's one on I-287 between exits 17 and 21, and one on I-80 EB.  It's a single sign with a picture of a clock that almost looks like the "Clock Game" from The Price Is Right. It says something like "Plan Ahead / Leave On Time / Drive Safely / something else / Arrive Alive".  I'm embarrassed I don't recall the exact text.

Edit:  I found a pic on Street View but you can't read it.  It's just as hard to read in person. 
https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.601979,-74.626458&spn=0.012056,0.02929&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=40.602059,-74.626509&panoid=38Anc72j8Vy3UBfU-M2VwA&cbp=12,315.24,,0,2.58

Edit:  Found a better pic:
https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.602061,-74.626501&spn=0.012056,0.02929&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=40.602024,-74.626767&panoid=gAqU_0Us6UXxRG0fiaNZHA&cbp=12,16.12,,0,2.58

It says: 
Take Five - Stay Alive
Leave Early
Buckle Up
Drive Safely
Avoid Distractions
Arrive Alive

Who the hell can read that at 65 MPH at that size? 

jeffandnicole

Here's the one I pass by everyday. http://goo.gl/maps/VKKhx

To be fair, this is approaching the 295/76/42 interchange where traffic is frequently congested, so there's plenty of time to see the sign...which has been fading significantly recent!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MASTERNC on February 21, 2013, 11:04:31 PM
That would be on the westbound AC Expressway, probably for those traveling late night after gambling & drinking.  There are two sets of 3 signs (the last of each set just says "Stay Alive").  The second set has flashing beacons, I believe.

When the signs were there, only the very first sign had a flashing beacon.  I'm quite sure they are no longer there as for that fact alone, I haven't seen the beacon in a few years.

ilvny

I saw the aformentioned "Stay Alive" sign.  I remember the Atlantic City Expressway having three large yellow signs saying "Stay Alert," "Stay Awake," and "Stay Alive," respectively, in all caps.  The "Stay Alert" sign had flashing yellow lights.  There's a webpage that mentions one of these signs.

http://wrongsideofdawn.com/tag/photoshoot/

I miss those large signs.  They really grabbed people's attention.

jeffandnicole

Don't confuse the two too much - the large Yellow signs were on the AC Expressway, and were installed prior to the invention...or at least the wide usage...of rumble strips.

The smaller signs are located on NJDOT jurisdiction highways, and was part of a campaign related to motorist safety.

M3019C LPS20

I have not come across one here in New Jersey.

Although, if relevant to this discussion, I sometimes come across the sign that reads "SEAT BELTS SAVE LIVES." It is small, and it is typically located in a tollbooth on the Garden State Parkway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.