Calliope vs. Pinwheel vs. Sesame Street shootout

Started by GCrites, June 16, 2023, 11:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCrites

Which of these shows did you like the best? I don't remember much about Calliope on USA Network but that doesn't mean I didn't watch it considering it's been 35+ years and I'm not going to remember how much time I gave each one. Now Pinwheel I really liked. While Sesame Street had stronger characters on then main segments than Pinwheel I liked the cutaway videos on Pinwheel a little better. They were mostly from Europe and often way more trippy than the often grimy cutaways on Sesame Street. Now grime can have a lot of appeal and being made-in-the-USA the Sesame Street cutaways were better at teaching diversity than the European Pinwheel sketches (which were also interspersed with US-produced cutaways that did feature diversity -- it's not like Pinwheel ignored it. Their original sketches did have it as well) but the production values on the Sesame Street cutaways was lacking a bit. I think of a couple ones in particular: one where a '67-ish Mustang is stuck in the mud then getting pushed out when a bunch of kids say "Teamwork!" or "Cooperation!" and one filmed in what I think was Central Park with a mime painting words on a cake. Sesame Street is the most memorable for the most people since it was on the rabbit ears. I just preferred Pinwheel and adult rewatches prove the Pinwheel main sketches were quite good.

Which one did you like the best? Unfortunately to pipe up you had to at least watch all of them, not just Sesame Street because it was the only one than was on in your house. There's a chance Pinwheel and especially Calliope will keep this thread short.

froggie

Out of curiosity, where are you rewatching Pinwheel?

GCrites

YouTube. The rights to the Pinwheel cutaway content have to be all over the place by now so it would be unlikely to hit any other service without being butchered. And forget about something like DVD unless it's only the original segments like a Beavis & Butthead DVD.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

elsmere241

Calliope and Pinwheel had some of the same imported videos - King Rollo comes to mind.  (Not that I watched much Pinwheel.)

Stephane Dumas

GCrites

Quote from: Rothman on June 18, 2023, 12:01:39 AM
Electric Company.

Not quite the same; half-hour format, all content in-house (far as I can tell) and aimed at a slightly older demographic around 1st and 2nd grade as opposed to the 2-6 year old target of the shows in question.

hotdogPi

I remember very little from before I was 6. I don't know if anyone remembers all three shows from when they were that little.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

GCrites

I get that. I've talked to people that don't remember anything until they were 10 years old. At the other end, I remember things that happened when I was 2.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.