News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

DST (Fall 2019)

Started by webny99, October 30, 2019, 08:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tradephoric

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 01, 2019, 04:25:25 PM
Honestly, this is an argument against permanent DST.

Touché.  I just know there are more important things in life than getting up at 6AM to get ready for school... and watching the super bowl is one of them.

kalvado

Quote from: 1 on November 01, 2019, 04:26:07 PM
Quote from: kalvado on November 01, 2019, 04:08:41 PM
Quote from: roadman on November 01, 2019, 04:03:30 PM
Adjust the clocks by one half hour and just be done with this whole nonsense.
Return to basics. India has a 5.30 offset from UTC for historic reasons.
Having NY offset by same 5.30 to UTC will underscore deep historic roots of the situation!

Moving NY to UTC-5:30 is in the opposite direction from what most people are proposing.

(I posted this a few minutes ago, modified it, and tried to delete the modification, instead deleting the entire post.)
6.30 offset to UK and 12 hour to India makes things even easier...

tradephoric

Timezones in America don't intrude into other timezones to the extent that they do in other parts of the world.  Permanent DST in America would be similar to standard time in other parts of the world.  As an example Detroit, Michigan and Vigo, Spain are on the exact same latitude and sunrise this Saturday will happen at 8:08AM in both cities.  But Detroit is still running DST while Vigo, Spain is running standard time.  Once both cities are running standard time, sunrise will be an hour earlier in Detroit even though both cities are on the exact same latitude.  Obviously China is the most extreme example of timezone intrusion, but most of these intrusions throughout the world lead to later sunrises and sunset times when compared to America.

tolbs17

Spain... They proposed to go back to GMT but they didn't. It's probably because they don't want darker evenings.

Even Singapore is misplaced. 7am and 7pm sunrise sunset everyday. I prefer 6am and 6pm.

Look at Kashgar! it's way behind!

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on November 01, 2019, 06:25:26 PM
Look at Kashgar! it's way behind!

The only thing I'm behind are mothers.

vdeane

Honestly, I don't know how Spain, France, Belgium, and the Netherlands do it.  Why didn't they go back to WET?  The way it is now, when they're on summer time, on the longest days of the year twilight lasts way past the point one would need to go to bed in order to wake up early enough to go to work the next day and still get a full night's sleep (7-8 hours).  I can sleep past sunrise easily enough, but trying to fall asleep before nautical twilight is even halfway done?  Forget about it!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on October 31, 2019, 10:40:49 PM
Anything to get rid of the switch back to darkness in the morning we now get in the Northeast when we spring forward.  Why there isn't a mass mutiny is beyond me.

See, maybe this is just me, but the past two weeks have been much, much harder for me than the weeks after the spring forward. It feels like a realignment is now long overdue, while in the spring, it feels like the change comes at approximately the right point in the curve. It gets better every day, too, unlike now, when it gets worse every day as overall daylight continues to decrease.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 31, 2019, 11:37:48 PM
So...does anyone have anything new to say this time around, or are we just going to get another endless stream of "kids have to wait in the bus in the dark"...

Actually, I think that would be something new, no?  :-P

SSOWorld

Quote from: vdeane on November 01, 2019, 08:59:35 PM
Honestly, I don't know how Spain, France, Belgium, and the Netherlands do it.  Why didn't they go back to WET?
They prefer to stay DRY.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2019, 03:23:48 PM
Quote from: Bruce on October 31, 2019, 07:34:12 PM
Most people don't use that extra sunlight in the morning for anything but commuting, but pushing sunsets further into the evening allows for recreation and avoids having people commute en masse when the sun is low and in their face. There's probably more than a few collisions attributed to the time change.

Pushing sunrises earlier in the morning avoids having people commute en masse when the sun is low and in their face.  There's probably more than a few collisions attributed to the time change.

With permanent DST, we could eliminate driving to work in the light (for 80% of commuters) during a good portion of the late fall and early winter altogether, and extend, quite dramatically, the amount of light available to evening commuters. Right now, it seems to be a sliver given to both.

Scott5114

With permanent DST, we'd never have to have one of these threads ever again.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 02, 2019, 05:45:16 AM
Is this an advantage or a disadvantage, thought?

Revive 755

Pushing sunrises earlier in the morning avoids having people commute en masse when the sun is low and in their face.  There's probably more than a few collisions attributed to the time change.

Depends on when those commuters are actually on the road.  For some the end of DST brings back the sunlight in the face problem.

renegade

Solved:  Put the entire nation (world?) on UTC.  Everyone looks at their phones constantly anyway, so put UTC on the screen, tell everyone to deal with it, and move forward with your self-important lives.  It's just a number anyway, and we're never going to be able to have more than 24 timezones, so just eliminate the problem of moving it back and forth twice a year.

Thead should still be locked an hour ago.  :bigass:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: renegade on November 02, 2019, 12:59:46 PM
and we're never going to be able to have more than 24 timezones

Actually, due to offset time zones, and the International Date Line, there are currently 38 time zones in use.

Quote from: renegade on November 02, 2019, 12:59:46 PM
Thead should still be locked an hour ago.  :bigass:

This I agree with.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 02, 2019, 05:45:16 AM

Does that mean if it was permanent standard time, would we always have this debate?

1995hoo

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 02, 2019, 10:53:42 AM

Depends on when those commuters are actually on the road.  For some the end of DST brings back the sunlight in the face problem.

I find one of the biggest problems is people who think they're exempt from using headlights because it's not pitch-black outside, regardless of whether we're on standard time or DST. This past week I've routinely been getting home about 20 minutes after sunset and there are a lot of invisible cars on the road. Damn annoying when you're trying to turn left. If there's a big SUV with blinding headlights waiting to make the opposing left turn, I'm inclined to wait for the turn arrow rather than risk a crash because I can't see a car coming the other way with no lights on.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 02, 2019, 03:05:01 PM

I find one of the biggest problems is people who think they're exempt from using headlights because it's not pitch-black outside, regardless of whether we're on standard time or DST. This past week I've routinely been getting home about 20 minutes after sunset and there are a lot of invisible cars on the road. Damn annoying when you're trying to turn left. If there's a big SUV with blinding headlights waiting to make the opposing left turn, I'm inclined to wait for the turn arrow rather than risk a crash because I can't see a car coming the other way with no lights on.

You just presented opposite issues.

hbelkins

Quote from: tradephoric on November 01, 2019, 04:20:00 PMThey turn out to be socially awkward outcasts who don't know who Tom Brady is.  Do we really want to live in a world where kids don't know Tom Brady?

He's the guy with the under-inflated balls.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

renegade

Quote from: hbelkins on November 02, 2019, 05:28:32 PM
Quote from: tradephoric on November 01, 2019, 04:20:00 PMThey turn out to be socially awkward outcasts who don't know who Tom Brady is.  Do we really want to live in a world where kids don't know Tom Brady?

He's the guy with the under-inflated balls.
My favorite post today!
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 02, 2019, 04:48:18 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 02, 2019, 03:05:01 PM

You just presented opposite issues.

No, the issues are directly related to each other: The SUV's bright headlights make it even harder to see the car in the adjacent lane being driven with no lights at all.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Finrod

Personally, I grew up in Indiana, so I didn't have to deal with daylight shavings for quite a long time.

That said, if I was king, I'd change DST as follows:

1. Keep the 2am -> 3am change in the spring, but change the fall so instead of changing clocks from 2am to 1am, make the change be from 3am to 2am.  This would make it so that while scheduling overnight cronjobs, I'd only have to deal with one hour where DST buggery messes with things instead of two hours like it is now.  Also, it would make the amount of time spent in DST be an exact multiple of 24 hours instead of being one hour short of it like it is now.

2.  Change spring DST change to April 1.  April Fools, you're late to work.  Change the fall DST change to November 1.  Let the kids stay up an hour later on Halloween.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

tolbs17

Also, it used to end before Halloween. I'm not sure they pushed it a week forward. Any questions on this guys?

Scott5114

The time change is complete, and so is this thread.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.