News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois 53 Extension

Started by Brandon, July 28, 2010, 11:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If ISTHA can sell the bonds they can build the roads. IDOT should then easily be able to finish these limited arterial projects and add some more
ISTHA did study a Chicago/KC route. Now we have the 110 of which I-88 is part. They also studied the I-24 extension discussed in the Fictional highways.
There is the US 20 freeway study that is moribund because of cost but at 4000 vpd a tollways does not look viable. I alos dont see the wish list bypasses of McHenry county,Rockford Peoria,Bloomington or Decatur making the cut either

Any suggestions for the route numbers if the tollway builds all these routes?

Brandon

Recent forums held by the ISTHA.  In New Lenox, they're in favor of the toll increase, and up north...
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110819/news/708199671/
Lots of folks in favor of the IL-53 extension.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

mgk920

Quote from: Brandon on August 20, 2011, 08:22:16 PM
Recent forums held by the ISTHA.  In New Lenox, they're in favor of the toll increase, and up north...
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110819/news/708199671/
Lots of folks in favor of the IL-53 extension.

The IL 53 north freeway/tollway extension has always been a very popular idea with the public throughout Lake County - EXCEPT in the ultra-hoity-toity Village of Long Grove.  Long Grove is the first muni off of the end of the existing IL 53 freeway at Lake-Cook Rd, accounts for about two sections worth of its ROW and is heavily populated with ultra-well-off NIMBYs and lawyers.  If not for Long Grove, this highway would likely have been built in the 1970s.

And to boot, nearly all of its ROW is intact and clear and the entire corridor, including the IL 120 part, is easily visible in high-res aerial images of the area.

Mike

Brandon

^^ Personally, I favor sticking it to Long Grove where it hurts and boycotting the shops there until they change their minds to be in favor of the extension.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

ftballfan

Quote from: Brandon on August 20, 2011, 09:41:50 PM
^^ Personally, I favor sticking it to Long Grove where it hurts and boycotting the shops there until they change their minds to be in favor of the extension.
Tunnel the whole thing under Long Grove :)

Brandon

Quote from: ftballfan on August 20, 2011, 09:59:04 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 20, 2011, 09:41:50 PM
Nah, I favor paving the whole of Long Grove.  The only question is, concrete or asphalt?  :evilgrin:

Concrete,Asphalt is better for a lower volume road.
Sounds like it is really funded here but they have to jump a few final hoops

I think its just ISTHA being conservative,which they are,on the outher belt projects

Revive 755

Quote from: ftballfan on August 20, 2011, 09:59:04 PM

I don't think the soil is good enough for much other than a cut and cover design.

http://capitolfax.com/2011/08/22/chicago-to-sue-downstate-tax-havens/#comments

This is confusing . I read the Herald stories and it seemed like the Tollway would have the money to build 53 before 15 years but Morris a board member says it wont and he wont vote for the toll increase. I think he makes good points Smaller increase and more bonding later as the plan advances

Brandon

http://www.lakecountyil.gov/TRANSPORTATION/Pages/PlansandStudies.aspx

This parkway would feed into the Central Lake Parkway: A tolled arterial.Its here along with Lots of 53 links

mgk920

What those NIMBYs are trying to do will be functionally obsolete from the very day it opens, if it's built like that.

:banghead:

I agree, build it as a six-lane interstate-compatible tollway from the start - and yes, it can be dressed up to fit in.

Mike

Rick Powell

Quote from: mgk920 on February 20, 2012, 02:57:00 AM
What those NIMBYs are trying to do will be functionally obsolete from the very day it opens, if it's built like that.

I agree, build it as a six-lane interstate-compatible tollway from the start - and yes, it can be dressed up to fit in.

Mike

Depends on the toll rates.  Congestion Pricing could keep the road clear for 45 mph driving without jams, but make it a somewhat expensive trip.  There are probably plenty of people in Lake County who would pay the going rate. 

hobsini2

If I want to drive a 45 mph highway in Lake County, I would drive on US 12 Rand Rd. 4 lane divided highway with more than 30 stoplights in Lake County until you get north of Wauconda before having a 55 zone. This is one of the dumbest ideas to come from these people. And it's not like they didn't know about the corridor when most of those houses were built in the last housing boom. Back in 1999, my family nearly moved to Round Lake. Even 20 years before that, the 53 tollway was proposed. The corridor has not changed much in 30 some years.

Screw the NIMBYs! Give me my 6 lane highway to eventually connect to the US 12 freeway in Wisconsin like it should have been built 30 years ago. And forget about "congestion pricing" for this corridor too. ORT is just fine.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Revive 755

^ The current IL 83 corridor between Arlington Heights Road and US 45 would be a better example as it is closer to where the proposed 53 corridor, is four lanes divided, posted at 45 (but with most traffic at 50 to 55), and with a fair number of stoplights.

Given how fast traffic goes on US 41/Lake Shore Drive, I would expect any facility designed for 45 mph to have limited compliance and possible safety issues.

Revive 755

Found some of the committee meeting stuff finally
http://www.illinoistollway.com/construction-and-planning/community-outreach/illinois-route-53-120-blue-ribbon-advisory-council

In the meeting summary for September, it is mentioned that whether to toll the existing 53 freeway if a build alternative is pursued is undecided.

February seems to be the most detailed meeting:
http://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/10157/48743/2012-02-09_FINAL_Route+53+Workshop_all-polling-results_compressed.pdf

Comments

1) Most of the maps for the parkway/arterial alternatives appear to have a stoplight for where IL 120 crosses under IL 21 - I hope that's just an error, and not a sign that the current interchange would be changed to an at grade design.

2) Since when 60 mph the freeway speed around Chicagoland?  They should be either using the speed it would be posted at (55 mph), or the speed almost everyone drives (70 or 75 mph).

3) Only four through lanes (2x2) under either freeway scenario?  :banghead:  Should be at least six to start, with provisions for upgrading to eight or ten lanes.  Granted there could be concerns about overloading the existing freeway south of Lake Cook Road, but I'm sure that will happen even with the no build option.

4) Too much of a land use focus - by the time any dirt gets turned for any alternative, most of the good ground near the highway is likely to be developed already.

5) I question the drainage and cross sections shown for the freeway alternatives.  Something wrong with using a closed center median with a jersey barrier to reduce ROW width, and having the ground water infiltration along the outer shoulders?

Revive 755

Draft of the committee report is up:

http://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/10157/48743/2012-04-13_Council-Resolution-Apr13.pdf

Add another toll plaza on I-94 at the Wisconsin border, plus tolls for the IL 173 ramps (whose traffic just came through the Waukegan Plaza)?  I'm sure this financing option would do wonders for traffic on US 45, IL 131, and that western frontage road for I-94.

mgk920

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 16, 2012, 10:32:46 PM

http://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/10157/48743/2012-04-13_Council-Resolution-Apr13.pdf

Add another toll plaza on I-94 at the Wisconsin border, plus tolls for the IL 173 ramps (whose traffic just came through the Waukegan Plaza)?  I'm sure this financing option would do wonders for traffic on US 45, IL 131, and that western frontage road for I-94.

I'd love to have some of what these people are smoking!

Four lanes in a reduced-speed parkway?  It will be *OBSOLETE*, totally traffic-clogged on the day it opens!

Try again!

Mike

Henry

Quote from: mgk920 on April 17, 2012, 12:47:15 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on April 16, 2012, 10:32:46 PM

I'd love to have some of what these people are smoking!

Four lanes in a reduced-speed parkway?  It will be *OBSOLETE*, totally traffic-clogged on the day it opens!

Try again!

Mike
This is wrong on so many levels! 45 mph might work on Lake Shore Drive or any other four-lane arterial, but on a limited-access parkway, it's just unacceptable. Raise it to 55, 60 or whatever the lowest speed limit is for limited-access highways in IL, and then maybe I'll think about it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hobsini2

Unfortunately, the minimum speed limit on a limited access highway is 45. So, by law, the speed limit is "acceptable" by IDiOT standards.

I still believe this should be a tollway like the Tri State but with 60 mph speed limit and some interchanges (Lake Cook, IL 22, IL 60-83 or Midlothian Rd, IL 176, new IL 120).
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Brandon

At four lanes and 45mph, the parkway will become a parking lot at rush hour.  Off-peak, no one will pay any heed to the 45 mph limit.  It will be just as ignored as the current 55mph limits on the expressways and tollways.

Even on LSD, 45mph fails.  Most folks go 60.

Only Scenarios D & E work, and the managed transit lane of E is a joke in an area with development as scattered as Lake County.

hobsini2

Quote from: Brandon on April 17, 2012, 10:11:03 PM
At four lanes and 45mph, the parkway will become a parking lot at rush hour.  Off-peak, no one will pay any heed to the 45 mph limit.  It will be just as ignored as the current 55mph limits on the expressways and tollways.

Even on LSD, 45mph fails.  Most folks go 60.

Only Scenarios D & E work, and the managed transit lane of E is a joke in an area with development as scattered as Lake County.
I absolutely agree.

Revive 755

According to a toll authority employee, the parkway for IL 53 is likely to have a truck ban.  Due to the ban (apparently trucks are a good revenue source) and the design (four lanes instead of six), a local tax option would probably be necessary to finance it.

mgk920

Remember that when the first part of I-355 opened north of I-55 (late 1980s), it was four lanes.  Due to traffic, it was upgraded to six lanes a couple of years later.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.