News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

Quote from: andrepoiy on May 09, 2021, 11:01:32 PM
Yangon can also be spelled as Rangoon...
A lot of those cities could be spelled in other ways. Mumbai could be on that list if it's still spelled Bombay, as its population is more than Beijing's, but less than Mexico City's. Speaking of Beijing, same with it taking over Paris if it's still spelled Peking in English.

dkblake

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 10, 2021, 12:02:12 AM
I don't think it's legit to include cities that don't use the Latin alphabet in their native language.

Why? The caveat in my original post is the city names as transliterated in English, and most major cities in places that primarily speak languages that don't use the Latin alphabet have official or commonly used romanizations.

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 10, 2021, 01:22:21 AM
Quote from: andrepoiy on May 09, 2021, 11:01:32 PM
Yangon can also be spelled as Rangoon...
A lot of those cities could be spelled in other ways. Mumbai could be on that list if it's still spelled Bombay, as its population is more than Beijing's, but less than Mexico City's. Speaking of Beijing, same with it taking over Paris if it's still spelled Peking in English.

Both Beijing and Mumbai are the official romanizations of those two cities, replacing Peking and Bombay sometime in the late 20th century.
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

Bruce

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 10, 2021, 12:02:12 AM
I don't think it's legit to include cities that don't use the Latin alphabet in their native language.

As long as we're following their modern official transliteration, it should be fine.

Quite a few countries have gone back to correct colonialist Anglicizations like China (Peking -> Beijing) and Korea (Pusan -> Busan), so the modern names there should reflect the government's wishes.

bing101

Here is a cool video of Canada's population is further south than some states in the USA.

westerninterloper

Quote from: webny99 on April 10, 2021, 09:28:16 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 10, 2021, 04:27:15 AM
Which state was Abraham Lincoln from?

Born in Kentucky, but Illinois is the answer most people would give.

Hoosiers claim Lincoln because he grew up there - age 5-21; to me being "from" a place is where one spends their formative years. I've lived outside Indiana longer than inside, but I grew up and went to school there, so I'll always be "from Indiana."
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

kphoger

Quote from: westerninterloper on July 23, 2021, 03:23:12 PM

Quotes a post from three months ago, then either doesn't reply to it or else types his reply in the middle and expects us to know which sentence is his.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bruce

A few for the Pacific Northwest:

Vancouver is further west than Olympia

Portland is further west than Seattle

Everett is further east than Abbotsford

Olympia is slightly north of Ellensburg

Seattle is at about the same latitude as Leavenworth and slightly south of Spokane

Scott5114

Quote from: Bruce on August 12, 2021, 05:49:23 PM
Seattle is at about the same latitude as Leavenworth and slightly south of Spokane

Seattle: 47°36′35″N
Leavenworth: 39°18′40″N
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 12, 2021, 05:53:09 PM

Seattle, WA: 47°36′35″N
Leavenworth, KS: 39°18′40″N

(Bolding mine)

Chris

Bruce

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 12, 2021, 05:53:09 PM

Seattle: 47°36′35″N
Leavenworth: 39°18′40″N

Ours is a little more fun.

CNGL-Leudimin

I like the fact Portland is slightly West of San Francisco.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Bruce

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 12, 2021, 06:16:54 PM
I like the fact Portland is slightly West of San Francisco.

And in the same vein: Spokane is west of San Diego.

KCRoadFan

Pardon the bump, but here's one I thought of: Washington, D.C. is west of Syracuse, NY.

Also, Miami is west of Pittsburgh.

andrepoiy

here's one:

The Gaspe Penninsula (Gaspesie) in Quebec extends more easterly than most of New Brunswick, yet still uses Eastern Time (while NB uses Atlantic time)

SkyPesos

Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 12, 2021, 10:15:11 PM
Pardon the bump, but here's one I thought of: Washington, D.C. is west of Syracuse, NY.

Interesting way of telling all the grid nazis in fictional that I-95 goes west of I-79 at some point.

Rothman

Meh.  Pinpointing cities on a single lat/long seems strange.  I'd think if Miami and Pittsburgh were closer to each other, people would think they're directly north and south of each other.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Rothman on October 13, 2021, 06:59:02 AM

Meh.  Pinpointing cities on a single lat/long seems strange.  I'd think if Miami and Pittsburgh were closer to each other, people would think they're directly north and south of each other.

This thread is filled with similar examples, but this is where you draw the line?

Rothman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 13, 2021, 07:53:11 AM
Quote from: Rothman on October 13, 2021, 06:59:02 AM

This thread is filled with similar examples, but this is where you draw the line?
The proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kurumi

The border between California and Mexico is not straight east-west; it's about 32.53 deg north on the west side, and about 32.71 on the east.

As noted earlier in the thread, the CA/OR border is north of Canada's Pelee Island in Lake Erie.

So: California extends both south of Mexico and north of Canada.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Dirt Roads

Quote from: 1 on January 06, 2017, 10:25:43 AM
3. When people think of large cities, or even medium-large cities, cities in North Carolina are usually forgotten. (This may not be true on this forum.)

Quote from: SP Cook on January 06, 2017, 11:51:02 AM
About North Carolina, right.  And both North Carolina and Virginia are examples of the use of a different word for a metro and the city.  Most places are generally just "greater" "metro" or "area" with a city name to mean "central city and its suburbs".   The cities of eastern Virginia are, however, "the Tidewater" or "Hampton Roads" ,  and the main areas of North Carolina are "the Piedmont Triad" (Winston-Salem, High Point, Greensboro) , "the Triangle" (Raleigh. Durham, Chapel Hill), and "Metrolina" (Charlotte).    Pretty rare elsewhere.

Oh, the memories!  Back in the MTR days, I got hammered for speculating that the Charlotte area had gotten bigger than Columbus, Ohio.  I was wrong, but not by much.  By the time the 2000 U.S. Census rolled around, the Columbus metro area was ranked #31 (1,540,157), whereas Charlotte was ranked #32 (1,499,293).  That being said, the population difference within the city limits was much more pronounced: Columbus was #15 back then (715,971), whereas Charlotte had only moved up to #22 (569,858).

These cities have been running side-by-side for a while, but now as of the 2020 Census, Columbus was ranked #14 (905,748) and Charlotte #16 (874,579), with #15 Indianapolis (887,642) bumping Charlotte down one spot.  If only Charlotte had a big-name university...

ethanhopkin14

The Las Vegas Strip is not in the city of Las Vegas.

The Rio Grande separates Texas and New Mexico briefly, creating a very small natural border and keeping New Mexico from joining Colorado, Wyoming and Utah in the "no natural borders" club.

North Texas is further south than all of the panhandle and a good chunk of West Texas.   Yes that is more of a naming issue than a geographical one, filed under the East River is not a River and Lake Pontchartrain is not a Lake.

The northern tip of Maine is further south than the 49th parallel; the border between Canada and the US from Minnesota to Washington.

The halfway point of I-10 across the US and the halfway point of I-10 across Texas are 10 miles apart from each other.

when traveling from west to east, as far as TV and radio call signals go, you have already crossed the Mississippi River into WXXX territory when you reach New Orleans by 76 miles.  To that fact, traveling even further east of New Orleans, because of the Florida Parishes, you leave Louisiana into Mississippi by crossing the Pearl River.

Because of the Four Corners Monument, New Mexico and Utah share a border.  Same situation with Arizona and Colorado.

I-75 spends more time in Florida than any interstate spends in any state east of the Mississippi.

Baltimore is not in Baltimore County.

Each Borough of New York is within a like defined county, but not all the counties have the same name as the borough.   

Also, if you head west out of the Cumberland Gap, you will get further away from Johnson City, TN.  :-D

Bruce

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on October 13, 2021, 07:57:02 PM
Because of the Four Corners Monument, New Mexico and Utah share a border.  Same situation with Arizona and Colorado.

Is that what we're going to do today? We're going to fight?  :-D
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

vdeane

when traveling from west to east, as far as TV and radio call signals go, you have already crossed the Mississippi River into WXXX territory when you reach New Orleans by 76 miles.  To that fact, traveling even further east of New Orleans, because of the Florida Parishes, you leave Louisiana into Mississippi by crossing the Pearl River.
Actually, WXXX is a lot further from New Orleans than that, but in the wrong direction...  :bigass:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kurumi

Quote from: vdeane on October 13, 2021, 09:23:24 PM
Actually, WXXX is a lot further from New Orleans than that, but in the wrong direction...  :bigass:

I've been as far west as KYW and as far east as WTAW
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.