News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

State rivalries

Started by thspfc, August 23, 2021, 07:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrepoiy

Ontario vs Quebec (and more specifically, Toronto vs Montreal)

thspfc

Quote from: kphoger on August 24, 2021, 01:24:05 PM
Quote from: thspfc on August 24, 2021, 01:11:05 PM
Wisconsin vs Illinois is a much bigger rivalry than Wisconsin vs Minnesota. WI and MN is more of a "friendly rivalry"  while WI and IL is legitimate.

I'm curious to know how far south into Illinois that exists.
I-80 because the land south of I-80 is so mountainous that no one can live there.

US 89

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 24, 2021, 10:08:04 AM
I wouldn't say Colorado has a rival state at all, but if I had to pick one, probably California.

I feel like Utah has a friendly rivalry with Colorado, seeing as they're both mountain states with world-class ski resorts and good size metropolitan areas... but maybe this is not as much of a thing on your side of the state line.

Idaho and Utah may have something similar going on - Idaho is basically just another Utah that's 20-30 years behind. Both are rapidly growing states, especially due to transplants from places like California, and both have a substantial liberal capital city surrounded by very conservative and often heavily Mormon rural areas. The way I see things there, Idaho tries as hard as it can to be like Utah while Utah really doesn't give a crap about its northern neighbor.

Rothman

Overheard at a Mormon church meeting where some poor kid got called to the Salt Lake City South mission:

"Not Idaho."

Still, not sure how it plays from Idaho towards Utah, though.  Idahoans just suck it up, in my experience.

Had a roommate from Shelby...Home of the Russets, meaning their high school mascot.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: US 89 on August 24, 2021, 06:47:34 PM
I wouldn't say Colorado has a rival state at all, but if I had to pick one, probably California.

I feel like Utah has a friendly rivalry with Colorado, seeing as they're both mountain states with world-class ski resorts and good size metropolitan areas... but maybe this is not as much of a thing on your side of the state line.

Idaho and Utah may have something similar going on - Idaho is basically just another Utah that's 20-30 years behind. Both are rapidly growing states, especially due to transplants from places like California, and both have a substantial liberal capital city surrounded by very conservative and often heavily Mormon rural areas. The way I see things there, Idaho tries as hard as it can to be like Utah while Utah really doesn't give a crap about its northern neighbor.

I don't feel like Colorado has a ton in common with any of our neighbors, that's probably why.

Wyoming - No population, very conservative
Nebraska - Very agricultural for most of the state, and big city is far from the border
Kansas - Same
Oklahoma - Barely borders, very conservative
New Mexico - Same politics, but demographically and economically way different
Utah - Probably as similar as it gets for Colorado, still politically way different

Chris

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 24, 2021, 07:15:50 PM
Quote from: US 89 on August 24, 2021, 06:47:34 PM

I don't feel like Colorado has a ton in common with any of our neighbors, that's probably why.

Wyoming - No population, very conservative
Nebraska - Very agricultural for most of the state, and big city is far from the border
Kansas - Same
Oklahoma - Barely borders, very conservative
New Mexico - Same politics, but demographically and economically way different
Utah - Probably as similar as it gets for Colorado, still politically way different

Chris
Eastern Colorado is probably similar to the plains states.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Yes, but only a pretty narrow strip of eastern Colorado.  You don't have to go much farther west than the state line for farmland to give way to scrub and ranches.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 24, 2021, 07:15:50 PM

I don't know that the politics are really that different though. Utah still has a fairly significant liberal base in Salt Lake City, Park City, and western Salt Lake County among other places, but it hasn't yet reached the point where that is big enough to affect statewide politics. Colorado only reached that stage in the last 15 years or so. I say give Utah another 10-15 years and it might start looking a little more purple than you'd think.

bing101

I never heard of California vs Montana Rivalry before.
California Vs. New York definitely happened due to having largest cities in each coast.
California vs. Texas definitely because Houston area gets compared to being the next Los Angeles and Austin gets compared to being the next San Jose/San Francisco and Sacramento area.  El Paso gets compared to San Diego and Dallas  gets compared to Los Angeles too.

North Carolina vs. California given that they have tech clusters and VC's near major research campuses as in Research Triangle vs Silicon Valley.

hbelkins

There's a meme that makes the rounds occasionally on social media about which states other states hate. In it, Kentucky hates Tennessee, but both Indiana and Tennessee hate Kentucky.

And New Jersey hates everybody!  :rofl:

In terms of sports rivalries, Tennessee really seems to hate Alabama more than anyone else.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

interstatefan990

No Texas vs. Florida?
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: interstatefan990 on August 28, 2021, 06:39:26 PM
No Texas vs. Florida?

Any particular reason there would be?

Chris

interstatefan990

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 28, 2021, 07:56:37 PM
No Texas vs. Florida?

Chris

Hottest? Craziest? Covid cases? Best highly-populated Southern state?

hotdogPi

Quote from: interstatefan990 on August 28, 2021, 08:59:27 PM
No Texas vs. Florida?

Chris

Covid cases?

Mississippi and Alabama have consistently been worse than Texas in this regard. Texas just gets more news because it's a swing state.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

hbelkins

No Texas vs. Florida?

Chris

Taxes, perhaps? Neither state has an income tax, so they battle for jobs and retirees.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kenarmy

Quote from: 1 on August 28, 2021, 09:00:46 PM
No Texas vs. Florida?

Chris

Covid cases?

Mississippi and Alabama have consistently been worse than Texas in this regard. Texas just gets more news because it's a swing state.
that's what i've been saying! Local news stations (MS) always barked at Florida for having so many cases, but now our cases are at an all-time high and they are barely talking about it.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

JayhawkCO

No Texas vs. Florida?

Chris

Covid cases?

I think we define swing differently.

Chris

interstatefan990

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 28, 2021, 11:52:20 PM
No Texas vs. Florida?

Chris

Covid cases?

Chris

Agreed. Texas has gotten less red over the years, but it's got a ways to go before being a swing state.

webny99

Quote from: interstatefan990 on August 29, 2021, 12:29:12 AM
Quote from: jayhawkco on August 28, 2021, 11:52:20 PM
Covid cases?
Chris
Agreed. Texas has gotten less red over the years, but it's got a ways to go before being a swing state.

I think maybe "competitive" is a better word than "swing". But in any case, there's a bunch of other reasons why Texas gets more news coverage than AL/MS. The fact that it's now a competitive state in nationwide elections might not even be top-5.

-It's the second-most populous state in the nation
-It has two of the five largest metro areas in the nation
-It's fast growing, and, like Florida, is seen as a warm-weather haven/getaway for northerners, so it's seen as a place where Covid could spread rapidly
-It has a Republican governor and is traditionally a very red state

thspfc

Political discussion begins in 3, 2, 1 . . .

Rothman

-It has a Republican governor and is traditionally a very red state.

Traditionally?  That's actually a more recent development.  Wasn't so long ago that LBJ and Ann Richards were from there...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bing101

Massachusetts vs North Carolina because these states have had "The Best Ivy League Universities" on the east coast.

bing101

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 23, 2021, 10:53:09 PM
Quote from: thspfc on August 23, 2021, 10:51:39 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 23, 2021, 10:44:19 PM
Massachusetts's rival is New York. I've never felt any rivalry with the other New England states except maybe Connecticut.
I think a lot of New Hampshire residents hate Massachusetts.
Most people in Massachusetts see New Hampshire as a summer playground or a tax-free shopping place.
That sounds like how Californian look at  Nevada is brought up as a summer/winter playground and a tax free shopping place.

bing101

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 24, 2021, 09:03:40 AM
Quote from: kenarmy on August 24, 2021, 07:55:49 AM
I thought people from Washington State and Oregon hated California. And I can confirm Mississippi is definitely losing the Louisiana and Alabama rivalries.

A lot of California hates California.  There is a massive disconnect between the following regions:

-  Los Angeles-Inland Empire
-  Greater San Diego
-  The Mojave Desert, Sonoran Desert and Eastern Sierras
-  The Central Valley
-  The San Francisco Bay Area
-  The Sierra Nevada Foothills
-  The so called State of Jefferson

The difference between urban and rural lifestyles in California in my observation is one of the most pronounced in the country.
Yes most definitely but usually it's because of  San Francisco vs. Los Angeles rivalries in sports though when discussed on the national level.

However there's even a divide when it comes to water disputes it's San Joaquin Valley and Southern California get together and fight against Greater Sacramento + Solano County over the delta tunnels from Elk Grove to Rio Vista and that water is supposed to head for the San Joaquin valley and Southern California for water supply.

Rothman

Quote from: bing101 on August 29, 2021, 12:13:31 PM
Massachusetts vs North Carolina because these states have had "The Best Ivy League Universities" on the east coast.
There are no Ivy League schools in NC and there is no rivalry between MA and NC.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.