News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Arkansas Vote Nov. 8 Re Interstate Maintenance

Started by Grzrd, November 07, 2011, 10:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

I just ran across this editorial from a Fort Smith paper recommending a "yes" vote tomorrow:
http://www.swtimes.com/opinion/we/article_11b61aa4-08ca-11e1-b279-001cc4c002e0.html

" ... voters statewide will be considering a $575 million bond issue to pay for interstate improvements.
The proposal seeks to continue using 4 cents from the state's diesel fuel tax of 22.5 cents per gallon for highway upgrades. Voting for the bond program will not raise taxes and voting against it will not lower taxes, according to an Associated Press report last week.
Since 1999, when the program began under Gov. Mike Huckabee, the Interstate Rehabilitation Program has reconstructed more than 350 miles of  Arkansas highways; another 300 miles are targeted by the new program, according to Move Arkansas Forward, which supports the bond proposal.
The program is expected to generate nearly $1 billion for construction and repair. Highway Commission Chairman Madison Murphy cites the Federal Highway Administration as saying that every $1 billion in capital investment on highways yields 27,000 private-sector jobs.
The bond program passed 70 percent for versus 30 percent against in 1999, and the University of Arkansas' annual poll released two weeks ago shows current sentiment is running about 2-to-1 in favor of renewing the program ... A vote to continue the state highway bond program – without any increase in taxes – helps to keep Arkansas competitive, and we recommend it."

Here's a link to an AHTD map showing the specific projects that would be funded by the program [page 1/7 of pdf]:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/news/2011/2011_Bond_Program.pdf

US71

I saw that. Funny how they've not talked much about it (to my knowledge).
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alps

Infrastructure doesn't get talked about because it's not a polarizing issue to mainstream America, especially when there's no effect on taxes one way or the other. I'm sure this would pass, as most people recognize that infrastructure is good. Most politicians seem to also understand this now, which is critical to having a functioning transportation network.

US71

8 pm: 16 of 75 counties reporting, the Arkansas highway bond issue is passing 80% YES to 20% NO

US71

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on November 09, 2011, 08:07:30 AM
Much to the disappointment of the Tea Party, it appears the bond issue has passed.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-11-09/arkansas-voters-accept-575-million-bond-plan-to-fix-highways.html
Great news.  With that taken care of and bond money designated for specific maintenance projects, maybe AHTD can now try to figure out how to find other money to finance I-49 bridge(s) over Arkansas River and make some  real progress between I-40 and I-30.

Gordon

That good news, don't You Think If the Highway Department concentrated on the the Bella Vista Bypass and they say they are going to keep pace with Louisiana and finish the 4 miles at the State line by 2016,then we could have I 49 named from I 40 to Kansas city An from I 30 to Shreveport. I think that would really have some clout to urge congress to finish it.

US71

Quote from: Gordon on November 09, 2011, 10:17:15 AM
That good news, don't You Think If the Highway Department concentrated on the the Bella Vista Bypass and they say they are going to keep pace with Louisiana and finish the 4 miles at the State line by 2016,then we could have I 49 named from I 40 to Kansas city An from I 30 to Shreveport. I think that would really have some clout to urge congress to finish it.

I-540 from Alma to Bentonville was funded through the efforts of Congressman Hammerschmidt. Now that he has retired, Arkansas doesn't really have a champion. Congressman Boozman talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk.

Grzrd

Quote from: Gordon on November 09, 2011, 10:17:15 AM
You're right.  I got a little ahead of myself regarding the Arkansas River bridge(s).  Make finishing BVB top priority, but at least do a design study on the Arkansas River bridge(s) in case sizable "shovel-ready" grants come forth in relatively near future.

Gordon

I agree on that. I know someone who is from Texarkana that went to Washington to Lobby for I 49 and he said the other state congressmen would look and say you don't have 1 mile named I 49 yet so it hard to get the majority to vote together for Arkansas. That is why I think we finally get some miles named I 49, then it will be easier to get more money. I know on AHTD site the Bella Vista Bypass, FT. Chaffee crossing and the last four miles to Louisiana line are programmed to be finnished. Hopefully Nov. 15 th there will be another job let for bid on the sections from Hwy. 72 north to Missouri Line and From Rye Hill to 71 hwy for grading & MDS. That would be making some progress.

M86

It passed, 80% vs 20%.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57321865/ark-interstate-bonds-work-to-begin-2012-or-2013/

I love the caution statements by those "higher up".  Uhhh, people in NWA will welcome the construction with open arms.  People here are sick and tired of I-540, and the amount of accidents and deaths along it.  I just hope the money isn't all sucked into the Little Rock area.

US71

Quote from: M86 on November 11, 2011, 01:21:08 AM
It passed, 80% vs 20%.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57321865/ark-interstate-bonds-work-to-begin-2012-or-2013/

I love the caution statements by those "higher up".  Uhhh, people in NWA will welcome the construction with open arms.  People here are sick and tired of I-540, and the amount of accidents and deaths along it.  I just hope the money isn't all sucked into the Little Rock area.

There was a map that showed many of the proposed projects, including rehabilitating the interstates. They should start with I-40 near Russellville.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.