News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best of Road Pictures

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, April 25, 2012, 10:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

D-Dey65

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on March 25, 2016, 02:36:17 PM
Arizona Highway 188 over the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge northeast of Phoenix

www.AsphaltPlanet.ca/AZ/AZ/188/AZ188_structure_30_south_Mar13_lg.jpg
www.AsphaltPlanet.ca/AZ/AZ/188/AZ188_structure_30_south_Mar13_24x16.jpg
You know, I used to think that would've been a good name for the Bayville-Rye Bridge that was originally supposed to connect the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway to the Cross Westchester Expressway. Now I'm not so sure anymore.

inkyatari

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on March 25, 2016, 02:36:17 PM
Arizona Highway 188 over the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge northeast of Phoenix

www.AsphaltPlanet.ca/AZ/AZ/188/AZ188_structure_30_south_Mar13_lg.jpg
www.AsphaltPlanet.ca/AZ/AZ/188/AZ188_structure_30_south_Mar13_24x16.jpg

I Love that bridge.  We were there two summers ago to visit my mother in Phoeinx.  It's awesome seeing it from the Apache Highway (AZ 88) with the dam in the foreground.  I need to dig up my pictures from the trip.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

AsphaltPlanet

^ That entire area is really cool.  I've only been out this way once, and it was really hazy over the lake, which somewhat muted how magnificent the landscape of this whole area is.  I'd love to go back there again, but there is only so much time and money to spend on such things.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

pumpkineater2

Quote from: Alex on November 22, 2016, 12:03:50 PM
just not in a crazy long post such as this.

Oops :crazy:...

Anyway, here are some of my favorite road photos from 2016:
US-50 West in Colorado:

CO-90 near Paradox, CO:

Indio, CA:

Bay Bridge and Golden Gate Bridge:

Old US-80 approaching the historic Gillespie dam bridge over the Gila river near Buckeye, AZ:

Looking west:

This is in Gila bend, AZ, close to where old US-80 intersects with modern day AZ-85:

This is Interstate 8 looking west from the Vekol Valley Rd. overpass:

And looking east. I really like how deserted I-8 is out here.

Come ride with me to the distant shore...

Roadgeek2500

Stop Sign, 47th St. & Asbury Ave, Ocean City, NJ

Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

Max Rockatansky

Some newbies from this week....

The climb up "supposed but Santa Clara County maintained" CA 130:

The twisties on CA 130 descending down from Mount Hamilton:

County Route J1/Panoche and Little Panoche Roads.  Love the control city still shows New Idria despite it being a ghost town since the 1970s.  The whole route through the Diabolos has a quasi mysterious post apocalyptic vibe to it:

AsphaltPlanet

Max Rockatansky

A couple abstracts from today....

County Route G1/San Juan Canyon Road:

Twisty coming down Miller Canyon on Coalinga Road:

Thing 342

Got a new DSLR for Christmas, and thought I'd show off some of the better ones from my recent trip thru NC, SC, and GA:

O Henry Blvd SB in Greensboro (taken 12/27/16)

US-321 SB near Lincolnton, NC (taken 12/27/16)

The new DDI between I-85 and GA-140 near Norcross.  (taken 12/28/16)

I-20 headed EB thru Augusta.  (taken 12/30/16)

I-20 EB somewhere between Aiken and Lexington, SC.  (taken 12/30/16)

I-26 EB approaching Malfunction Junction.  (taken 1/1/17)

Plus, a bonus one from last year that I'd forgotten about:

US-19 SB near Rosedale (???), VA. (Taken 2/14/16)

AsphaltPlanet

^ Nice photos.  What kind of camera did you get?

Thing 342

Canon EOS Rebel T6. It's a beginner model for sure, but it's good enough for my college budget.  All photos above (except the bottom one, which is from my Nexus 6P) were taken with a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Thing 342 on January 01, 2017, 11:54:29 PM

The bridges with those new DDIs off of I-85 are very interesting, I must say. Also, albeit this is not a DDI, nor an exit at all (it is simply an overpass), the new Skip Spann Connector bridge over I-75 in Kennesaw is very neat as well.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: Thing 342 on January 02, 2017, 11:19:16 AM
Canon EOS Rebel T6. It's a beginner model for sure, but it's good enough for my college budget.  All photos above (except the bottom one, which is from my Nexus 6P) were taken with a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens.

Canon's entry level cameras are great value for the feature set though.

If, in the future, you are looking to upgrade your lens collection, kijiji is a great place to buy used glass.

Sometimes you can find some outstanding deals on f1.8 or f1.4 prime lenses, which are great for dusk and twilight photography.  I use a 50mm f1.4 lens for a lot of road photography, and am generally always really pleased with the results.

Bruce

Night-time exposure of Interstate 5 in Downtown Seattle, looking north from the Columbia Center (76 stories above street level). I had a bit of difficulty trying to get proper light trails from the cars stuck in traffic (as seen in the inbound lanes, which makes for a cool effect). Also pictured are 5 of the city's near-hundred cranes. They even get decorated for the holiday season with lights.

Interstate 5 in Seattle at night by SounderBruce, on Flickr

And here's a daytime shot of Interstate 5 and the Seattle skyline from Rainbow Point, adjacent to the terminus of WA-522:

Seattle skyline above I-5 by SounderBruce, on Flickr

vdeane

Quote from: Thing 342 on January 01, 2017, 11:54:29 PM

I-20 headed EB thru Augusta.  (taken 12/30/16)

I-20 EB somewhere between Aiken and Lexington, SC.  (taken 12/30/16)

I-26 EB approaching Malfunction Junction.  (taken 1/1/17)
These images aren't loading for me.  Attempting to view the image directly shows that I appear to be blocked.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Thing 342

^ Hmmm. I redid some of the images and modified the post. I think they should be coming up now.

Here's another one, of the APL sign that replaced the old I-95 / MIAMI FL signs in Petersburg, VA (Taken 12/27/16)

jmd41280

A few from my collection...

US 422 in Hershey, PA (complete with Hershey Kiss shaped streetlights)

East Chocolate Avenue (US 422) - Hershey, PA by Jon Dawson, on Flickr

Chesapeake Bay Bridge (US 50/301) seen from the Enchantment of the Seas cruise ship

Between the Bridges by Jon Dawson, on Flickr

US 30 in Gettysburg, PA

US 30 approaching McPherson Ridge - Gettysburg, PA by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

formulanone

Recent uploads...

Foggy morning on US 72 east of Huntsville:

US 12 just east of Alpowa Summit, Washington:

Dulles Toll Road (VA 267) while about to land at Dulles:

kkt

Quote from: formulanone on January 09, 2017, 09:36:02 AM
Recent uploads...

Foggy morning on US 72 east of Huntsville:

Nice!  I like the foggy one especially.

Max Rockatansky

Some fresh stuff from today.

County Route J21 in Tulare County in the Sierra Foot Hills:

CA 245:

Former LRN 130 on Boyd Drive:

formulanone

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on January 02, 2017, 01:40:10 PM
Sometimes you can find some outstanding deals on f1.8 or f1.4 prime lenses, which are great for dusk and twilight photography.  I use a 50mm f1.4 lens for a lot of road photography, and am generally always really pleased with the results.

Agreed...a 50mm prime is a wonderful all-round lens. While you'll rarely need f/1.8*, having a crisp image at f/3.2 or 4.0 is helpful in lower-light situations when you want to keep low ISO and/or faster shutter speeds.

Gray skies or evenings are where my prime works nicely in road photography. It also works best in manual mode, especially if your route changes directions frequently - in that case, making adjustments while moving can be tricky or unsafe. You probably don't want the aperture any wider than f/2.8 in a moving vehicle, because there's bound to be blurring of the desired subject due to parallax. One can get around that by using a higher ISO and letting the chip decide whether you'd prefer f/4.0 to f/22+ at 1/500-800s shutter speed.

The drawback is that there's times you want a wider angle, so my trusty kit lens works in most situations. While it lacks the sharpness of the prime lens, it won't drop below f/4.0-5.6, but the trade off in the image quality in dim conditions means it's a secondary choice. Arguably, it doesn't seem to have the same color gamut for shadows and it has more chromatic aberration in high-contrast situations. My kit lens does at least have image stabilization, which is nice for shots at 1/250-400, which normally would blur nearby objects at vehicle speeds above 25mph.

* Some bench tests show that many lower-end and mid-range lenses degrade in performance at or near their extremes (fastest/slowest shutter speeds, widest/narrowest apertures). But if you buy a lens that costs as much as a car, then you're going to get the specified results.

AsphaltPlanet

My biggest regret in owning a dSLR camera (or interchangeable lens camera, as is becoming the more accurate name), is actually not learning how they actually worked sooner.  For the first few years of ownership, I generally just took images using the camera's automatic settings.  While Using the camera's automatic settings produced did produce generally good results, now that I have learned how to take more control over the camera's settings, I am generally much happier with the final results.

Just my two cents of course.

Thing 342

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on January 02, 2017, 01:40:10 PM
Quote from: Thing 342 on January 02, 2017, 11:19:16 AM

Canon's entry level cameras are great value for the feature set though.

If, in the future, you are looking to upgrade your lens collection, kijiji is a great place to buy used glass.

Also in my lens collection are two old Gemini film lenses from my grandfather. One is a 28mm f/2.8 wide-angle (which I haven't really used), and the other is an 80-200mm f/4.5 lens. They're obviously full-manual, but I only use the manual mode unless I'm taking a quick picture, so not a huge deal. Furthermore, my main kit lens becomes mostly useless after about 4 P.M., so I'll have to try out some dusk shots with the 28mm.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: formulanone on January 09, 2017, 09:36:02 AM
US 12 just east of Alpowa Summit, Washington:

I can't help but say that is one beautiful road picture. The road looks nice, and so does the scenery. I don't think I realized some parts of Washington looked quite like that, but it's pretty. I suppose I shouldn't be that surprised, though, because a lot of eastern Oregon looks kind of like that as well.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.