News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on March 05, 2021, 04:27:07 PM

The same contractor is doing Arkansas and Missouri, other than the interchange in Bentonville.  The Arkansas side will be likely see more headway as that contractor started on the Arkansas side first before Missouri was gifted with their funding.  Now that doesn't mean that they can't pull another crew in to work from the north southward, but I can't see them pulling the crew they have in Arkansas working until they get to a logical stopping place for that phase of the work to move into Missouri.

I'm sure they have plenty of manpower for both projects plus several others.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mvak36

Quote from: US71 on March 05, 2021, 05:08:05 PM

The same contractor is doing Arkansas and Missouri, other than the interchange in Bentonville.  The Arkansas side will be likely see more headway as that contractor started on the Arkansas side first before Missouri was gifted with their funding.  Now that doesn't mean that they can't pull another crew in to work from the north southward, but I can't see them pulling the crew they have in Arkansas working until they get to a logical stopping place for that phase of the work to move into Missouri.

Yeah I would think they would. Along with the I-49 projects, they're currently working on the I-70 Climbing Lanes project. I believe they were also the contractor on the I-70/I-435 interchange and the I-44 Bridges project in SW Missouri that were completed last year.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

US71

Quote from: mvak36 on March 06, 2021, 12:20:37 PM

Yeah I would think they would. Along with the I-49 projects, they're currently working on the I-70 Climbing Lanes project. I believe they were also the contractor on the I-70/I-435 interchange and the I-44 Bridges project in SW Missouri that were completed last year.

APAC is a large company They've been around seemingly forever.

mvak36

Quote from: US71 on March 06, 2021, 12:51:53 PM

Oh I was thinking it was Emery Sapp and Sons. They won the Missouri Bella Vista Bypass project so when I saw that they were doing the Arkansas side, I thought it was them.

US71

Quote from: mvak36 on March 06, 2021, 01:39:45 PM
Quote from: US71 on March 06, 2021, 12:51:53 PM

Oh I was thinking it was Emery Sapp and Sons. They won the Missouri Bella Vista Bypass project so when I saw that they were doing the Arkansas side, I thought it was them.

Sapp IS doing Missouri (looked it up).  Not sure where I got APAC, unless they're a sub-contractor?

Road Hog

Why are climbing lanes needed on I-70 in Missouri? I figured no climbing lanes would've been needed anywhere between Denver and Breezewood.

mvak36

Quote from: Road Hog on March 06, 2021, 06:09:18 PM
Why are climbing lanes needed on I-70 in Missouri? I figured no climbing lanes would've been needed anywhere between Denver and Breezewood.

There's a steep section of I-70 in Montgomery County (I'm not sure of the grade). Here's the project site if you're interested.

EDIT: The grade is 4 to 6 percent according to the RFQ document for the project.

I-55

The fact that there are no climbing lanes on I-470 near the Ohio River is nothing less than surprising to me.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

sprjus4

Quote from: I-55 on March 06, 2021, 08:49:42 PM

The fact that there are no climbing lanes on I-470 near the Ohio River is nothing less than surprising to me.
There are climbing lanes on I-470 though?

O Tamandua

Arkansas: almost finished on its side of the BVB "Arkansas-Missouri connector".
Missouri expects the entire project to be complete by the end of September, this year.  :wow:

Dig the video footage (with new signage on the Arkansas side, just south of the line).:  https://www.4029tv.com/article/missouri-portion-of-bella-vista-bypass-on-schedule/35906021

sparker

Quote from: O Tamandua on March 23, 2021, 12:58:57 AM
Arkansas: almost finished on its side of the BVB "Arkansas-Missouri connector".
Missouri expects the entire project to be complete by the end of September, this year.  :wow:

Dig the video footage (with new signage on the Arkansas side, just south of the line).:  https://www.4029tv.com/article/missouri-portion-of-bella-vista-bypass-on-schedule/35906021

Unless there's going to be a significant separation of the carriageways, it looks like at least part of the MO portion of the Bella Vista bypass will feature narrow medians, particularly through the cuts.  One of the overpasses depicted in the newscast further indicates this type of design.  Considering the rock formations along the alignment, keeping the ROW at a minimal width isn't surprising.

Hopefully the worst of COVID will be over later this year; it would be nice to visit my family in SE OK and clinch the AR portion of I-49 (even Shreveport to Texarkana) while I'm in the area -- all the way up to KC, once this segment is opened. 

sprjus4

^

The design plans for the Missouri portion of the project did indicate a narrow median from the state line to I-49. This is reasonable, given the terrain in the area.

mvak36

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 23, 2021, 07:29:59 AM
^

The design plans for the Missouri portion of the project did indicate a narrow median from the state line to I-49. This is reasonable, given the terrain in the area.

So do those design plans have cable barriers in the median then? I don't know how to read these design plans otherwise I'd look for myself.

EDIT: I guess I answered my own question. I found this on the project site: https://www.modot.org/sites/default/files/documents/Typical%20Section.pdf. It looks like a concrete barrier in the median.

sparker

Quote from: mvak36 on March 23, 2021, 10:08:09 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on March 23, 2021, 07:29:59 AM
^

So do those design plans have cable barriers in the median then? I don't know how to read these design plans otherwise I'd look for myself.

EDIT: I guess I answered my own question. I found this on the project site: https://www.modot.org/sites/default/files/documents/Typical%20Section.pdf. It looks like a concrete barrier in the median.

Makes sense -- looks a lot like I-80 here in CA between Auburn and Yuba Gap, much of CA 58 over the Tehachapis, and I-5 south of Dunsmuir.   Generally good for 65 mph -- but at least there's not narrow canyons to negotiate (like out here) that necessitate 55 mph-posted curvature, much of that serial reverse curves.  Should be just fine as a commercial corridor.   

sprjus4

It'll probably be posted at 70 mph in Missouri. As for Arkansas, 70 or 75 mph, depends what they go for north of Bentonville.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 23, 2021, 07:25:15 PM
It'll probably be posted at 70 mph in Missouri. As for Arkansas, 70 or 75 mph, depends what they go for north of Bentonville.

70mph in Arkansas.
https://www.4029tv.com/article/missouri-portion-of-bella-vista-bypass-on-schedule/35906021

@ 1:05, you can clearly see an already posted 70mph sign.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 23, 2021, 10:00:44 PM

70mph in Arkansas.
https://www.4029tv.com/article/missouri-portion-of-bella-vista-bypass-on-schedule/35906021

Beat me to it, I was just gonna post that...

sprjus4

70mph in Arkansas.

That makes sense, the area could probably be 75 mph, but considering it's not much of a distance between the urban segment in Bentonville and Missouri, where the speed limit is capped at 70 mph, they probably did not want a variability in speed limit (70 mph -> 75 mph -> 70 mph) and decided to keep it uniform throughout. If Missouri ever goes to 75 mph, I could see Arkansas I-49 north of US-71 being increased to 75 mph as well.

Tomahawkin

Can we get IH 49 (between Ft Smith and Texarkana built in segments like IH 22 was built in NW Alabama? Im guessing that is the best route to go fundingwise? With that said, land clearing should have started 10+ years ago

mvak36

Quote from: Tomahawkin on March 24, 2021, 02:07:46 AM
Can we get IH 49 (between Ft Smith and Texarkana built in segments like IH 22 was built in NW Alabama? Im guessing that is the best route to go fundingwise? With that said, land clearing should have started 10+ years ago

There were a few I-49 projects that were listed as potential projects for the next round of the Connecting Arkansas program. But they were only for two lanes and I don't know which projects got selected.

MikieTimT

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 23, 2021, 10:14:49 PM

70mph in Arkansas.

That makes sense, the area could probably be 75 mph, but considering it's not much of a distance between the urban segment in Bentonville and Missouri, where the speed limit is capped at 70 mph, they probably did not want a variability in speed limit (70 mph -> 75 mph -> 70 mph) and decided to keep it uniform throughout. If Missouri ever goes to 75 mph, I could see Arkansas I-49 north of US-71 being increased to 75 mph as well.

That's what I figure as well.  I can't help but think this northern portion that Arkansas is doing right now will have to be redone in 12-15 years as it appears as though it's asphalt rather than concrete like the lanes that were done prior to now.  I'm also wondering how much of the northbound lanes they're working on now will actually be surfaced in concrete to match the current Super-2 southbound lanes.

US71

Next projects will likely be (IMO) extending the 412 Bypass and building a south access road to XNA.

sparker

Quote from: mvak36 on March 24, 2021, 09:31:33 AM

There were a few I-49 projects that were listed as potential projects for the next round of the Connecting Arkansas program. But they were only for two lanes and I don't know which projects got selected.

At least two initial lanes are better than no project at all -- especially if they're built on a 4-lane ROW (or with plans to rebuild the existing 2 lanes of US 71 where feasible).  At least the project as depicted on the map addresses a sizeable chunk of the overall corridor mileage.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: MikieTimT on March 24, 2021, 05:56:06 PM

70mph in Arkansas.

That's what I figure as well.  I can't help but think this northern portion that Arkansas is doing right now will have to be redone in 12-15 years as it appears as though it's asphalt rather than concrete like the lanes that were done prior to now.  I'm also wondering how much of the northbound lanes they're working on now will actually be surfaced in concrete to match the current Super-2 southbound lanes.

75 to 79 mph will be the standard for the half that know the Troopers won't bother you for up to 9 over in this state. I have over 25 years of driving back and forth to know this fact. I also know most still won't go over 80  in the 75mph zones, most that do are out of staters.

bwana39

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on March 29, 2021, 11:42:54 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on March 24, 2021, 05:56:06 PM

70mph in Arkansas.

75 to 79 mph will be the standard for the half that know the Troopers won't bother you for up to 9 over in this state. I have over 25 years of driving back and forth to know this fact. I also know most still won't go over 80  in the 75mph zones, most that do are out of staters.

You are spot on. I drive I-49 in Miller county very frequently. My 81 mph in the 75 is among the faster ones. The ones going faster than me usually have plates from outside the nearby states (AR, LA, TX, OK). A few Texas pickups or Louisiana Cars, but hardly ever an Arkansas plated vehicle is among the 85 mph crowd.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.