News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

California SR 134 (former/still eastern extension of the "Ventura Freeway")

Started by M3100, August 08, 2020, 10:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3100

In updating my records for the separate Travel Mapping site I am finding gaps in local travels; CA 134 was one of them.  CA 134 is an eastern 'extension' of US 101 /Ventura Freeway; it connects North Hollywood with Pasadena.  (Note: US 101 in marked as North/South while CA 134 is marked as East/West, the "Ventura Freeway" runs generally east/west per the compass).

I traveled this route from west to east today (8-8-20); here are some pics.

1. On US 101 South, this Interchange Sequence Sign could give one the impression that CA 134 is an upcoming offramp

2.  Actually, the main lines of the freeway split, with the 2 left lanes becoming CA 134, and US 101 (3 right lanes) turning in a southeast direction through Cahuenga Pass and Hollywood.

3. CA 134 passes along the northern edge of Griffith Park; note sign about the closed L A Zoo.

4. Approaching the interchange with I-5, still identified as the Golden State Freeway

5. Approaching the interchange with CA 2, still identified as the Glendale Freeway

6. Approaching the interchange with I-210.  In this case, are the green "plate-overs" on the BGS blocking the "Foothill Freeway" designation?

7. I am heading south on the offramp to a stub of CA 710, which is unsigned.  The overpass pillars (around the corner down the connecting ramp) have stencils identifying the short segment as 710.  Posted signs are identified as "To CA 110" which is a few blocks away.

'Freeway Names' on signs are becoming rarer as time moves on....

sparker

I distinctly remember the progress of CA 134 through Burbank, Glendale, and Eagle Rock since it occurred over my transition from grade school to junior high then high school in Glendale, and wasn't fully finished into Pasadena until after my UCR years were behind me in 1972.  I also remember the routing controversy in Glendale -- the pre-adoption options either skirted downtown on the north (the route eventually selected in 1960) or around the south side paralleling Colorado Street (original LRN 161/SSR 134).  If the north side was selected, it would take my great aunt's house at the corner of Kenilworth and Fairmont; the southern route would have run right through my grandfather's cottage in Eagle Rock just east of the Glendale city line.  My great-aunt and her husband were the ones who had to move (they were more than fairly compensated, including moving expenses -- the DOH was pretty good about that 6 decades ago!); they bought a newer home on the Glendale/Burbank line.  Ironically, my grandfather's health deteriorated within a couple of years; he was forced to retire (he was a barber) and go into assisted living.   The actual clearing and construction began during my senior year in high school, and the Glendale section opened for traffic in the summer of 1969, between my sophomore and junior years at UCR.  I used the freeway extensively for the year after it was opened -- as I was dating a girl who lived in Pasadena (and whose dad was a DOH engineer!), and the then-extension dumped traffic out onto east Colorado in Eagle Rock, avoiding schlepping through the east part of Glendale (I lived close to the Burbank line on the west side of town).  But we split well before the Eagle Rock section was done, so that didn't come into play.  But today, without the presence of the 134 freeway, Glendale would probably be devoid of the high-rise/corporate HQ buildings on the north side of downtown.   

ClassicHasClass

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.