AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Grandfathered non-standard signage  (Read 23880 times)

Mapmikey

• Co-curator with Froggie of www.vahighways.com

• Last Login: Today at 04:27:46 AM
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
Re: Grandfathered non-standard signage
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 02:06:45 PM »

*  Shirley Highway ramp diverge sign (from an advertisement) (the approach of signing the same destination by two different routes began to be deprecated several years later)

Note also the classic VDH "pyramid" black topped with white below wooden posts, once so common on state-maintained highways across Virginia.

There are ZERO references to "Shirley Freeway" in the CTB Minutes in its entire history, so I am surprised it was posted in the field that way.

I believe this is the first photo I've ever seen referencing VA 350.

Mapmikey

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 02:08:37 PM »

Perhaps they decided to clarify that it's a freeway and therefore a better route by concatenating 'Shirley Highway (freeway)'.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

briantroutman

• Last Login: March 17, 2021, 01:33:54 AM
    • briantroutman.com/land
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 02:56:42 PM »

This is the best post this forum has ever had.

Yes–this is such an amazing assortment of the kinds of pre- and early-Interstate era signage I was looking for. Many thanks.

And also thanks to everyone else for contributing signs to this discussion.

And here are links to resources containing more pictures:

Now I really wish my Penn State student account was still active so I could download the full PDFs of these. Awesome photos of early freeway signage and such a thorough discussion of the situations surrounding each. I need these books for my next transcontinental flight.

briantroutman, you sure Ryan Seacrest didn't write the copy of that CT Turnpike welcome sign?

Not enough hair gel. Maybe James Earl Jones?

Mapmikey

• Co-curator with Froggie of www.vahighways.com

• Last Login: Today at 04:27:46 AM
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 09:01:53 PM »

And here are links to resources containing more pictures:

*  US House, Committee on Public Works, Special Subcommittee on the Federal-Aid Highway Program, Freeway signing and related geometrics (1968)

*  US House, Committee on Public Works, Special Subcommittee on the Federal-Aid Highway Program, Roadside hazards (1968)

*  Harold Lunenfeld and Gerson Alexander, Signing treatments for interchange lane drops (1976)

These publications collectively have probably around a thousand sign photos, the signs shown dating from about 1950 to about 1970.  Despite its name, the roadside hazards volume is especially rich in sign photos, since infrequent use of breakaway posts had developed into an issue attracting Congressional attention by the late 1960's.

The first link has a treasure trove of Virginia/Maryland Beltway photos of nearly every interchange in Fairfax and Montgomery Counties (pages 500-640).   Included are a US 240 BGS and some I-70S BGS signs.  Also shows original configurations of the Springfield Interchange and the 270-495 split.  Also new to me were that populations of some Virginia destinations (independent cities?) were on the exit BGSs.

The second link has a good I-80S sign in Ohio, a US 40 Nevada cutout, and a couple US 10A-93 BGSs...

Mapmikey

KEK Inc.

• Roads Roads Roads

• Last Login: March 10, 2024, 06:09:32 PM
Take the road less traveled.

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

thenetwork

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 11:28:55 AM
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2014, 11:13:34 PM »

Holy Smokes! These are some great photos.  Seeing photos of some of the most-jammed freeways of today, back then looking like they were out in the country with hardly any traffic.

It's amazing how substandard many of these signs were back in the day, but damn, did they look sweet -- even in black in white.

KEK Inc.

• Roads Roads Roads

• Last Login: March 10, 2024, 06:09:32 PM
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 12:23:01 AM »

Take the road less traveled.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.