News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

"That's a First" on Railroad Crossings

Started by Molandfreak, October 26, 2013, 12:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molandfreak

I drive on Cedar Avenue south of Lakeville, Minnesota on a semi-regular basis. There's a single railroad crossing near Chub Lake, which until today I believed to be unused. As far as I can remember, I have never seen a train cross there; this is going way back to when I first started paying attention to things like this as a kid. But today, to my surprise, I was held up by a train at that crossing earlier today. There are no gates at the crossing, but the lights were fully functional, and the train blew it's whistle quite a few times because Cedar is a busy road. It was moving slowly, definitely at no more than 20 mph.

Got any other stories of first encounters at a railroad crossing?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

bugo

Is there still a rotating stop sign on the railroad crossbuck sign in Faribault?

Molandfreak

Quote from: bugo on October 26, 2013, 01:55:33 AM
Is there still a rotating stop sign on the railroad crossbuck sign in Faribault?
Yep, still there! It survived the 2011 construction.
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

getemngo

I'm honestly not sure how much mileage you can get out of this thread - "I thought trains didn't use this track, then one day I saw a train using it." Hopefully someone here will have seen a train crossing a freeway at-grade or something.

But while we're on the subject of nearly abandoned rail lines... it pisses me off when a track is 100% abandoned and they leave the rails and crossbuck signs intact at crossings (even if they remove the lights and gates). That means buses and trucks with hazardous cargo still have to waste gas and hold up traffic by stopping where a train will never come. At least get some EXEMPT signs up there!
~ Sam from Michigan

KEK Inc.

http://goo.gl/maps/hqp4o

Never have seen this down, but I don't drive here often.
Take the road less traveled.

jeffandnicole

I'm surprised people are shocked that some crossings don't have gates.  In my general area, there are several crossings without gates.  Heck, there's 3 crossings in use I'm aware of that don't even have lights!

DaBigE

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 26, 2013, 09:11:12 AM
I'm surprised people are shocked that some crossings don't have gates.  In my general area, there are several crossings without gates.  Heck, there's 3 crossings in use I'm aware of that don't even have lights!

Gated crossing are far from the norm around these parts. Where I live, there's only one crossing that's gated, and it's not even the busiest street. :pan:  Out of the eight crossings in the city, one is gated, two just have lights, and the rest are governed by crossbucks and STOP/YIELD signs. Madison has been trying to ban train whistles (except in emergency) for over a decade, but the best they can do is have "quiet zones", since so many crossings aren't gated/four quadrant gated.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

xcellntbuy

I grew-up in Hudson, NY.  The old Boston and Albany Railroad tracks run through the city, but across the main street, Warren Street, southbound on South 7th Street intersecting an alley and Union Street to the south.  The rail line is only occasionally used for hauling freight.

To the north, the tracks run through the middle of the intersection of North and South 7th Street, through a public park, across Columbia Street (the northern end of NY 9G intersecting with US 9 at Park Place), as well as State Street on out north and east, crossing Union Turnpike (NY 66) in the Town of Greenport.  Zero gates and no flashers, only two, 3-signal traffic lights used as railroad warning signals elevated on either side of Columbia and State Streets.  A white (and faded) crossbucks sign is posted on Union Turnpike.  Absolutely nothing separates the intersection of Warren and 7th Streets from the tracks which are also part of the eastbound lane of South 7th Street.  Bollards, hedges and evergreens separate the tracks from the public park.  It has been this way my entire life, more than 50 years.

hm insulators

Quote from: getemngo on October 26, 2013, 03:06:25 AM
I'm honestly not sure how much mileage you can get out of this thread - "I thought trains didn't use this track, then one day I saw a train using it." Hopefully someone here will have seen a train crossing a freeway at-grade or something.

But while we're on the subject of nearly abandoned rail lines... it pisses me off when a track is 100% abandoned and they leave the rails and crossbuck signs intact at crossings (even if they remove the lights and gates). That means buses and trucks with hazardous cargo still have to waste gas and hold up traffic by stopping where a train will never come. At least get some EXEMPT signs up there!

Years ago, they tore up an abandoned railroad track across the San Fernando Valley except a segment that was embedded in the pavement where it crossed Van Nuys Boulevard. They also left behind the crossbuck, which meant that buses and hazardous cargo had to stop and look for the train that might come down the missing railroad tracks that were missing because they'd been torn up!  :pan: :pan: :pan:
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

agentsteel53

I'll be driving through there around Dec10.  can someone tell me where it is?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Molandfreak

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 11, 2013, 04:34:57 PM
I'll be driving through there around Dec10.  can someone tell me where it is?
MN 60 (4th street NW), Faribault

roadman

Quote from: Molandfreak on October 26, 2013, 03:05:53 AM
Yep, still there! It survived the 2011 construction.
It's known as a Griswold signal - http://www.trainweb.org/dansrailpix/griswold_1.htm
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

formulanone

Has anyone else ever had a train back up for them at a crossing? I don't know much about trains, but I suppose they're not legally allowed to block a road for "no reason". I say that parenthetically, because I'm not sure exactly what the train was doing at the time - but what I do know that I was checking out CR 835 by the Evercane Sugar Plant, which involved a rail crossing just south of Clewiston. I waited, and after about thirty seconds, the conductor waved me through, after he'd spent another thirty seconds or so inching the train backwards. I waved and headed on my way!

I thought it was pretty cool...unlike the time a freight train added about $10 to my taxi ride.

Molandfreak

Quote from: formulanone on November 11, 2013, 07:04:52 PM
Has anyone else ever had a train back up for them at a crossing? I don't know much about trains, but I suppose they're not legally allowed to block a road for "no reason". I say that parenthetically, because I'm not sure exactly what the train was doing at the time - but what I do know that I was checking out CR 835 by the Evercane Sugar Plant, which involved a rail crossing just south of Clewiston. I waited, and after about thirty seconds, the conductor waved me through, after he'd spent another thirty seconds or so inching the train backwards. I waved and headed on my way!

I thought it was pretty cool...unlike the time a freight train added about $10 to my taxi ride.
Last summer I worked at a Ragnar relay in Maiden Rock, WI and a train kept moving back and forth quite frequently, blocking a public parking lot during a scheduled event. I had the job of directing traffic, so that made my job suck and I couldn't get a break for six hours (the train was a problem for about two hours).

Scott5114

Quote from: getemngo on October 26, 2013, 03:06:25 AM
Hopefully someone here will have seen a train crossing a freeway at-grade or something.

I have–James River Freeway, Springfield MO. Okay, I didn't see the actual train, but I know it was there because of the massive traffic jam it caused.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Jardine

Grade crossings here in western Iowa that have had train related fatality are the ones that (eventually) get crossing gates.

It is not unheard of for a stationary train to be uncoupled at a crossing for a fire truck or ambulance.

And as for a RR crossing on an interstate, in Pottawatomie County, Iowa, the south I-680/I-29 interchange gets close.  I-680 heads north on 29, and the eastward continuation from the interchange is a county road.  The tracks are close enough to the interchange that the pavement is still 4 lanes there, and about once a year a train will clobber a vehicle.  The trackage is Illinois Central (parent company is, IIRC, CN).

Family lore has it a C&NW steam engine stopped for my Uncle who had parked a tractor on a crossing, and the engineer got off the train  and found him and asked him to move the tractor.  Not sure how a steam train 'sneaks up' on somebody, and the family history is vague on that point.  This was back in the 40s.

theline

Quote from: formulanone on November 11, 2013, 07:04:52 PM

Some jurisdictions have laws about how long a train can block a crossing. It has been a big point of contention in towns with tracks through middle of town and few over- or under-passes. I seem to recall the city of Mishawaka, IN passing an ordinance like this in days gone by, and having cops write tickets for the engineer. They've solved much of the problem in recent years with new underpasses.

hbelkins

Quote from: theline on November 14, 2013, 01:44:52 AM
Some jurisdictions have laws about how long a train can block a crossing. It has been a big point of contention in towns with tracks through middle of town and few over- or under-passes. I seem to recall the city of Mishawaka, IN passing an ordinance like this in days gone by, and having cops write tickets for the engineer. They've solved much of the problem in recent years with new underpasses.

Given that railroads are regulated by the federal government and seemingly have more power than God, it surprises me that those local ordinances are enforceable.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

theline

^ I never said they are enforceable. I doubt that they are. It's just city councils trying to do something to please the voters.

NE2

From the 2005 CSX Huntington Division West employee timetable:
QuoteBig Stone Gap, VA, City Ordinance prohibits any railroad company to obstruct for a longer period than 5 minutes the free passage on any highway, street, or public crossing by leaving standing cars or trains across the same.
It also lists speed limits set by city ordinance, such as 35 mph in Pikeville.

As far as enforceability, my eyes are glazing over trying to determine whether http://state.il.us/court/Opinions/SupremeCourt/2008/January/103543.pdf allows enforcement in certain limited cases ("saving clause").
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

The only thing more po
Quote from: hbelkins on November 14, 2013, 03:09:33 PM
Quote from: theline on November 14, 2013, 01:44:52 AM

Given that railroads are regulated by the federal government and seemingly have more power than God, it surprises me that those local ordinances are enforceable.
Only the marine waterways are above the railroads.  Remember Boats have right of way over trains hence why railroad drawbridges are left in the open position until a train crosses the waterway and raised again when no other train is scheduled to pass by soon.

Trains do have ROW over roads.  Boats have ROW over both trains and cars.  It sucks, but that is how it is.  Try driving Orange Avenue in Taft, FL when CSX is putting together a freight train and you could sit there for over 15 minuets when one train goes back and forth and then again back and forth across Orange Avenue just to switch yard tracks as the street is at the entrance to the yard.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

empirestate

What about street-running railroads? Could be some interesting first-time stories there; perhaps you've seen, for example, the circus train running down the street in Fort Collins, CO or Augusta, GA? (I haven't, but who knows?)

roadman65

Clearwater, FL; Passaic, NJ; Tampa, FL, and even in Hamilton, Ontario I have seen street running railroads.  Though rare, still not uncommon I would imagine.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sammi

Quote from: empirestate on November 14, 2013, 10:21:24 PM
What about street-running railroads?

Does the Allen Expressway count? I have it unofficially clinched because of that. :P Or are we only talking about surface roads?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on November 15, 2013, 05:34:35 PM
Clearwater, FL; Passaic, NJ; Tampa, FL, and even in Hamilton, Ontario I have seen street running railroads.  Though rare, still not uncommon I would imagine.

There used to be some in Baltimore, Maryland (south and southeast of the present-day M&T Bank Stadium where the Ravens play) and in the District of Columbia (on several streets near the Nationals ballpark).  I believe none of them are in use any longer.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.