News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Road-related pet peeves

Started by TravelingBethelite, September 01, 2015, 02:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

gas stations that omit the last digit in the price on the sign outside

DaBigE

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 07, 2015, 08:26:23 PM

The fact that gas prices are still created to that many digits. Round up already!
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

silverback1065

Quote from: DaBigE on October 07, 2015, 08:35:37 PM

The fact that gas prices are still created to that many digits. Round up already!
Ha-ha I agree but I was referring to something like this $2.3_ I've seen this a few times.
Why do gas prices go down to the thousandth of a dollar? There's no such thing technically right?

Big John

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 07, 2015, 08:36:47 PM

Ha-ha I agree but I was referring to something like this $2.3_ I've seen this a few times.
Why do gas prices go down to the thousandth of a dollar? There's no such thing technically right?
I remember seeing that during the 1979 gas shortage.    Millls are still used for accounting purposes though there are no coins of that denomination.

DaBigE

Can't say I've ever encountered that, at least that was done intentionally. If I did, it was due to a number falling off (in the age before LED price signs).

silverback1065

Quote from: DaBigE on October 07, 2015, 09:38:12 PM

Can't say I've ever encountered that, at least that was done intentionally. If I did, it was due to a number falling off (in the age before LED price signs).
That may be the case, or maybe it was while they were changing prices. I've seen it a few times and assumed it was on purpose.
It is annoying when they post a cheap price and in small letters say "with car wash" or "members price" damn rickers stations get me every time.

KG909

When a new left lane is created and then the right lane ends. That shit drives me up the fucking wall.

HTC Desire 510

~Fuccboi

pderocco

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 01, 2015, 04:04:40 PM
People saying US 30 ends in California...

People saying that US-66 ended at the Santa Monica Pier (or less commonly, at the end of Santa Monica Blvd.). It actually turned left at Lincoln Blvd., and ended where Pacific Coast Highway came up the canyon from the beach and turned onto Lincoln (roughly where Lincoln crosses I-10 now).

pumpkineater2

When a right lane ends on a freeway directly after an exit, like this:https://goo.gl/maps/6Sk2REyb4zQ2

I mean seriously, who lets this stuff off the drawing board? :banghead:

Also, things like this:https://goo.gl/maps/zMXZgWg6dvH2
In case you don't see it, a lane begins and ends on a ramp for no apparent reason
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

pderocco

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 01, 2015, 08:43:14 PM

–"Reduced Speed Ahead" signs. I much prefer the style telling you what the reduced speed limit will be. But if you must use the generic sign, it should say "Reduce Speed Ahead" because it's the speed limit that is reduced and the sign is telling you to prepare to slow down to conform with that. In other words, whether any "speed" is actually reduced depends on the individual driver.

What about END xMPH SPEED LIMIT signs? Whose bright idea was that? If Hans from Stuttgart, driving his airport rental car, is expected to know what the speed limit is reverting to, then the guy who ordered up the sign should have known it, too, and put that on the goddam sign.

pderocco

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 17, 2015, 07:30:55 PM
People who say GPS/phone apps are better than paper maps (they're not).

People who say "People who say GPS/phone apps are better than paper maps (they're not)" (they're wrong).  :-D

pderocco

In an intersection like this:

https://goo.gl/maps/H6AjdSKSYGB2

When the explicit left turn lane overflows, my peeve is when additional drivers who want to turn left refuse to line up in the center turn lane, and instead line up in the travel lane.

A similar peeve is when people are temporarily pulling over on the side of the road, perhaps to look at a map or use their phone, they don't pull over against the curb, but instead stick out into the road or block the bike lane. It's like they feel that being up against the curb is only for people who are actually parking.

pderocco

Quote from: allniter89 on September 27, 2015, 06:17:14 PM
My peeve is drivers who don't turn their turn signal off. My brother turned in front of a vehicle with its left signal on & crashed, bro got the ticket, failure to yield.

People who put their right turn signal on when the turn they intend to make is two streets up, and I'm waiting to pull out of the first street. You shouldn't turn you signal on until you're going to turn into the next street.

pderocco

Quote from: KG909 on October 07, 2015, 11:31:10 PM
When a new left lane is created and then the right lane ends. That shit drives me up the fucking wall.

Yeah. SB CA-14 in Palmdale. The right lane ends, a quarter mile before the heavily used Palmdale Blvd. exit, at the same time that they add an HOV lane on the left.

pderocco

How about those gigantic milepost/reassurance signs that have popped up all over New England? Pace Ladybird Johnson, I'd rather look at the occasional billboard than five of those ugly green things in every mile. Some politician must have a cousin in the signmaking business.

kurumi

Quote from: pderocco on October 08, 2015, 12:25:27 AM
Quote from: KG909 on October 07, 2015, 11:31:10 PM

Yeah. SB CA-14 in Palmdale. The right lane ends, a quarter mile before the heavily used Palmdale Blvd. exit, at the same time that they add an HOV lane on the left.

IIRC there is a guideline or rule in CA that a general-purpose lane cannot "become" an HOV lane. Otherwise you could get "stuck" in one and have to suddenly merge out.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

catch22

Quote from: OCGuy81 on October 07, 2015, 03:40:59 PM
Who here has that one friend or family member that insists on reading EVERY. DAMN. BILLBOARD and sign while on a road trip?

I love her, but that's my mom when we're driving long distances.

I think this could qualify as a road related peeve.

My sister-in-law.  A long time ago I had to put up with this all the way from Detroit to Oklahoma City and back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asx5amnfHpU

DaBigE

Who here has that one friend or family member that insists on reading EVERY. DAMN. BILLBOARD and sign while on a road trip?

No exceptions? Curious cause the stretch of I-41 between Fond du Lac and Appleton, WI is peppered with billboards for adult toy stores.

empirestate

Quote from: pderocco on October 08, 2015, 12:13:43 AM
When the explicit left turn lane overflows, my peeve is when additional drivers who want to turn left refuse to line up in the center turn lane, and instead line up in the travel lane.

On the other hand, when the left turn lane is not overflowing, people two are turning left will move into the center turn lane and start to pass the line of traffic, often ending up in conflict with others who are turning left but are moving into the left turn lane where it begins.

jwolfer

Quote from: DaBigE on October 08, 2015, 09:08:14 AM

No exceptions? Curious cause the stretch of I-41 between Fond du Lac and Appleton, WI is peppered with billboards for adult toy stores.
It would be funnier if she didn't get it

1995hoo

Pet peeve I was reminded of this morning: When a road is resurfaced and the new lane striping is inexplicably changed from the way the road used to be striped.

VDOT just repaved a road near our neighborhood. Going north, the road widens from two lanes to three. Previously, the left lane widened out into two thru lanes and the right lane fed into the far right thru lane; there are also two turn lanes (one right, one left) just north of this spot. The striping worked well because during the afternoon rush hour, the left-turn traffic often backs up beyond the end of the turn lane, so striping the left lane to allow thru traffic into either the left thru lane or the center thru lane worked well because it meant people trying to get around the left-turn traffic didn't come into conflict with people in the right lane. But now with the repaving they striped it so there's the single left lane and it's the right lane that becomes two lanes at the light, even though it's easy to see the small markings on the pavement showing where they were supposed to put the striping. They just put the striping down yesterday afternoon, so I haven't yet been through there during the afternoon rush hour to see whether it's causing a problem. I suspect I will be asking VDOT to change it back.

It's not the first time they've messed up striping when repaving. Nearby at the Beltway exit they didn't restore the so-called "puppy tracks" (short skip lines channeling traffic around a corner) when they repaved the road and it caused a bunch of near-collisions as people turned into the wrong lanes. It took intervention from local politicians to get that one fixed. Near the Pentagon they narrowed a two-lane exit to one lane and caused traffic backups until enough people complained.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on October 08, 2015, 12:00:21 AM
When a right lane ends on a freeway directly after an exit, like this:https://goo.gl/maps/6Sk2REyb4zQ2

It's so people getting on at the previous exit (that lane was only just added from the previous on-ramp) have more time to merge rather than having to weave with exiting traffic.

1995hoo

Quote from: Kacie Jane on October 08, 2015, 10:12:29 AM
Quote from: pumpkineater2 on October 08, 2015, 12:00:21 AM

It's so people getting on at the previous exit (that lane was only just added from the previous on-ramp) have more time to merge rather than having to weave with exiting traffic.

I think it's more annoying when the right lane ends just before an exit as seen in the link below. A cloverleaf loop-around ramp enters from the right just ahead and then another loop-around ramp departs. I suppose the reason for not extending the right lane and making it an "Exit Only" lane at the next ramp is (a) traffic entering from the loop-around ramp would potentially ("potentially" because it's almost always slow right there) encounter people bombing down the "Exit Only" lane at high speed right as said entering traffic is trying to accelerate and (b) people would try to use the "Exit Only" lane to bypass slow traffic and cut over at the end, thereby interfering with exiting/entering traffic. Both concerns are legitimate. The downside, of course, is that exiting traffic has to shove left for an extremely short distance before shoving right again. (Having a cloverleaf weave area adjacent to the right thru lane on a busy suburban Interstate is a bad idea anyway, but there isn't much space to improve it unless they build another flyover ramp that would be controversial with local residents there.)

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.818124,-77.132674,3a,66.8y,212.81h,86.25t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sySIaCHgmeJjw-CxtJMN-Vg!2e0

Satellite view of the same place–the lane drop is where the "Henry G. Shirley Memorial Hwy" label is visible:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8165098,-77.1360744,18z/data=!3m1!1e3
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Zeffy

Thanks to some fucking dickbag who didn't signal, the person in front of my sisters car had to slam on her brakes and swerve to avoid hitting the car while they abruptly slammed on their brakes to turn while another car pulled out into traffic.  My sister and I didn't have anywhere to go and, despite jamming the brakes, the momentum was too great and we ended up plowing into the back of the car ahead of us. The damage to our car was horrific, while the other person escaped relatively unscathed. The person who caused this bullshit drove off and acted like he didn't do anything. We weren't even tailgating or going more than 3 mph over the speed limit (40).

Thankfully the girl we hit was super nice and didn't even want to hold us liable.

Please people, even if it's the last minute just flick your fucking wrist to signal. It's not hard, and it's fucking helpful so we can slow down and you can turn in even if you have to fucking stop to let another car pass.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

noelbotevera

Quote from: Zeffy on October 08, 2015, 10:48:42 AM
Thanks to some fucking dickbag who didn't signal, the person in front of my sisters car had to slam on her brakes and swerve to avoid hitting the car while they abruptly slammed on their brakes to turn while another car pulled out into traffic.  My sister and I didn't have anywhere to go and, despite jamming the brakes, the momentum was too great and we ended up plowing into the back of the car ahead of us. The damage to our car was horrific, while the other person escaped relatively unscathed. The person who caused this bullshit drove off and acted like he didn't do anything. We weren't even tailgating or going more than 3 mph over the speed limit (40).

Thankfully the girl we hit was super nice and didn't even want to hold us liable.

Please people, even if it's the last minute just flick your fucking wrist to signal. It's not hard, and it's fucking helpful so we can slow down and you can turn in even if you have to fucking stop to let another car pass.
Tell that to the people who drive on freeways in New York City. They never signal and it's a large guessing game of where to go next.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.