News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Election Day Results: Road Issues...

Started by thenetwork, November 07, 2018, 06:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

What were some of the more significant road issues in your areas that either passed or failed on Election Day 2018?  Will they help or hurt your area?

COLORADO:

- State Issue 109 -- Issuing bonds to improve Colorado Highway infrastructure projects:  FAILED

- State Issue 110 -- Increasing state sales tax to improve Colorado Highway infrastructure projects:  FAILED

Either/Both of these issues would have generated more money for CDOT and local jurisdictions to fund more much-needed projects in the short term, with the latter generating money from all who purchase goods & services in Colorado, including non-residents passing through.

Either/both issues were to help fast-track the widening of sections of I-70, I-25, and I-270 for starters.  I was very surprised, especially in traffic-clogged Denver, that both issues were voted against soundly by 60%+.

Expect more Express/Toll lanes in areas that do get widened, including areas that don't necessarily fit "urban" areas.

Others??

US 89

Utah had a Nonbinding Opinion Question #1 on the ballot this year, which would have raised the gas tax by ten cents a gallon. However, it would not have had any effect on roads, because the intention was to use the new proceeds to free up money in the general fund, which would have gone to education. In other words, it was a gas tax hike for education.

It doesn't matter anyway; the question was soundly defeated, with 67% of voters against it.

GaryV

Michigan's governor elect had a campaign slogan: "Fix the damn roads."

webny99

Quote from: GaryV on November 07, 2018, 09:52:16 PM
Michigan's governor elect had a campaign slogan: "Fix the damn roads."

Unsurprising, having been to Michigan...

MikeTheActuary

Connecticut's Amendment 1 passed  88%-11%.  It specifies that CT's "Special Transportation Fund" shall not be used to pay for anything other than transportation-related expenses or to service transportation-related debt.

In past years, the state has reallocated money held in the fund as part of budget-balancing exercises.

J N Winkler

In Missouri, the proposal to increase the gas tax (currently 17c/gallon) by 10c/gallon failed.  On the ballot it was identified as Proposition D.

Apparently about two-thirds of the proceeds were to go to the Highway Patrol while the remainder would have gone to cities for local streets.  In light of the needs on Missouri's state highway system, I would probably have voted against it myself.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

SCtoKC

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 07, 2018, 10:26:50 PM
In Missouri, the proposal to increase the gas tax (currently 17c/gallon) by 10c/gallon failed.  On the ballot it was identified as Proposition D.

Apparently about two-thirds of the proceeds were to go to the Highway Patrol while the remainder would have gone to cities for local streets.  In light of the needs on Missouri's state highway system, I would probably have voted against it myself.

That's exactly why I voted against it.  We desperately need better roads, and a gas tax would be great.  But law enforcement doesn't need any more funding.

MaxConcrete

https://communityimpact.com/dallas-fort-worth/mckinney/city-county/2018/11/06/collin-county-bond-2018/

In Collin County, north of Dallas,
$600 million approved with 69% in favor for new freeways (mainly the US 380 freeway, it is unclear if other new freeways will move forward)
$140 million approved also with 69% in favor for arterial streets
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Max Rockatansky

Prop 6 in California was rejected which would have repealed the gas tax increases from the previous year for road repairs.  There is a lot more information about it on the SB1 Projects thread in Pacific Southwest. 

SP Cook

Quote from: SCtoKC on November 07, 2018, 10:45:14 PM

That's exactly why I voted against it.  We desperately need better roads, and a gas tax would be great.  But law enforcement doesn't need any more funding.

Thank you for having the courage to post what some will criticize.  Here in WV our state police get a 7% skim off our gas tax, which serves no purpose and makes no sense.

hbelkins

Quote from: SCtoKC on November 07, 2018, 10:45:14 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on November 07, 2018, 10:26:50 PM

Maybe if Missouri would quit building DDIs all over tarnation, they'd have more money for real transportation needs.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on November 08, 2018, 11:40:03 AM
Maybe if Missouri would quit building DDIs all over tarnation, they'd have more money for real transportation needs.

Missouri builds DDIs all over Tar NationTM because they don't have enough money for transportation needs.  If they built some other interchange type at those locations instead of DDIs, then that would likely eat up even more of the budget.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rick Powell

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on November 08, 2018, 01:05:38 PM

Missouri builds DDIs all over Tar NationTM because they don't have enough money for transportation needs.  If they built some other interchange type at those locations instead of DDIs, then that would likely eat up even more of the budget.

But was there a real need for interchange reconstruction? The very first one (I-44 at MO 13) did not involve building a new bridge over the interstate. They just used the existing bridge and built crossovers on either side -- or at least that's my recollection, as I drove it right after it opened but work was still ongoing.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ce929wax

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a DDI?

MNHighwayMan

webny99

Missouri builds DDIs all over Tar NationTM

What on earth is MODOT doing building DDI's in North Carolina?  :confused: :D

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on November 10, 2018, 02:50:42 PM

But was there a real need for interchange reconstruction? The very first one (I-44 at MO 13) did not involve building a new bridge over the interstate. They just used the existing bridge and built crossovers on either side -- or at least that's my recollection, as I drove it right after it opened but work was still ongoing.

My memory of the 44/13 DDI construction is pretty fuzzy, considering it was a long time ago now, but I don't expect MoDOT spent a whole bunch of money on an interchange that had no issues to begin with.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

My recollection of the I-44/SR 13 DDI is that traffic analysis showed the turning flows at the existing interchange were so heavy that DDI conversion allowed large congestion reduction benefits to be attained at low cost.  The bridge that carries SR 13 over I-44 is still functionally obsolete and justifies replacement.

Missouri underfunds Interstate renewal so badly it is actually one of the few states where I feel uncomfortable staying at a motel near an exit that does not have a breakfast joint on its side of the Interstate.  If it is good-quality new-build like I-270/Dorsett Road, I don't have to worry, but if it is a retrofit job on 1960's original construction like I-44/SR 13, I feel like I am taking my life in my hands just walking across the Interstate.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

triplemultiplex

Nothing directly road-related in WI, but the state of our roads was an issue in the campaign.  Though we have a new governor, the legislature remains firmly Republican (thanks to gerrymandering!) which means any structural changes to road funding are a non-starter.  I'm not sure how much the new guy is going to be able to do with the purse strings still held by those unwilling to invest in infrastructure.

I am deeply pessimistic that divided government will encourage compromise in this environment.  At best, Wisconsin may slow the bleeding.  A change in management doesn't automatically mean we can revive certain projects or step up our maintenance game when the money isn't there. 
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

LM117

Quote from: hbelkins on November 08, 2018, 11:40:03 AMMaybe if Missouri would quit building DDIs all over tarnation, they'd have more money for real transportation needs.

North Carolina has a similar hard-on for superstreets.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Brandon

Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 12, 2018, 04:21:00 PM
Nothing directly road-related in WI, but the state of our roads was an issue in the campaign.  Though we have a new governor, the legislature remains firmly Republican (thanks to gerrymandering!) which means any structural changes to road funding are a non-starter.  I'm not sure how much the new guy is going to be able to do with the purse strings still held by those unwilling to invest in infrastructure.

I am deeply pessimistic that divided government will encourage compromise in this environment.  At best, Wisconsin may slow the bleeding.  A change in management doesn't automatically mean we can revive certain projects or step up our maintenance game when the money isn't there. 

At least you guys are doing something with your roads up there, and it's nowhere near as gerrymandered as the state to your south. <sigh>
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hotdogPi

Quote from: Brandon on November 12, 2018, 09:09:19 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 12, 2018, 04:21:00 PM

At least you guys are doing something with your roads up there, and it's nowhere near as gerrymandered as the state to your south. <sigh>

Not sure about the state legislature, but at the federal level, Wisconsin is gerrymandered more, although it's also a victim of changing demographics.

In 2012, WI had 3 D districts (2, 3, 4), 2 tossup districts (7, 8), and 2 R districts (1, 6). This means that Democrats get 4/8 in what was considered a moderately blue state. 3 would now be a tossup if not for incumbency advantage, and 6, 7, and 8 have also gotten significantly more red.

In 2012, IL had 11 D districts (1-11 except 6, plus 17), 2 tossup districts (12, 13), and 5 R districts (6, 14, 15, 16, 18). This means that Democrats get 12/18, which makes sense for how blue Illinois is. 12 and 13 have gotten redder (so has 17, slightly), while 6 has gotten bluer (14 flipping in 2018 wasn't a result of demographic change). 4 looks really bad on a map, but it doesn't affect D/R balance at all. After the 2018 elections, Democrats have 13 of 18, which isn't ridiculous for a state as blue as Illinois.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Actually Wisconsin is much more Gerrymandered than Illinois. Wisconsin voted more democratic than Republican for their state districts.  More than for Evers. Evers reached out over the roads and the legislative and was bitten. They threatened to take away powers they gave Walker. Meanwhile Illinois could be argued to bear gerrymander for Republicans. Dems split up metro East and it cost another US house seat. For the state leg gerrymandering gave them a supermajority rather than a near supermajority. Pritzger won near 60 %. As a result Illinois will have some sort of capital bill. There is more discussion of Illinois under Illinois notes. More on MO under 49 discussion because that is in question

route56

I think it's safe to say that current Kansas Transportation Secretary Richard (not N9JIG) Carlson needs to update his resume/CV. When he was confirmed by the Senate for the job, then-senator Laura Kelly voted against his confirmation. As to whom the Governor-elect will appoint to replace him, I haven't a clue...
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.