News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The most abundant road sign type in America.

Started by thenetwork, November 28, 2018, 12:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Just had an idle thought come into mind as I was driving  , what  Type of road sign is the most common in America?

Here are my top 3 Choices:

1. No Parking
2. STOP
3. Speed Limit xx.

I'd be curious to see if there is such a top 10 list for signs. What are your choices?

hotdogPi

What about One Way? (I would still put it below Stop).

Speed limit signs are farther down than #3.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Hurricane Rex

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

formulanone

Stop signs have to be the most abundant. Every parking lot or suburban residential neighborhood has a bunch more of these than anything else, so that skews the numbers.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Quote from: kphoger on November 28, 2018, 12:59:17 PM
Street name blades.

This.  Since they now are placed in rural areas as well as suburban & urban.

kphoger

Quote from: froggie on November 28, 2018, 02:13:20 PM

Street name blades.

But stop signs....  Gee....  Four of them at many intersections....
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

froggie

Counter-balanced by the sheer volume of rural intersections that lack any sort of stop sign.

BTW, I find it odd that you're trying to counter-argue your own submission to the thread.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on November 28, 2018, 02:14:32 PM
Street name blades.

But eight street blades. Also, no stop signs at traffic signals, unsignalized intersections, or roundabouts.

Quote from: froggie on November 28, 2018, 06:01:17 PM
BTW, I find it odd that you're trying to counter-argue your own submission to the thread.

I think it might have been sarcasm... #uncertainty

1995hoo

Eight street blades? At most intersections I encounter, there are two of them. In exceptional circumstances there might be four. Only really huge intersections generally have more.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

I'll do some shopping around in street view and see what I can find. I can think of at least two intersections off-hand that have eight blades, two per corner.

Four is probably the norm, but eight is certainly more common than two (at least at four-way intersections; obviously T-intersections only need two).

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on November 28, 2018, 07:19:40 PM
I'll do some shopping around in street view and see what I can find. I can think of at least two intersections off-hand that have eight blades, two per corner.

Four is probably the norm, but eight is certainly more common than two (at least at four-way intersections; obviously T-intersections only need two).

It's never 8 here. Usually 1 (the minor one only) or 2.
Clinched, plus MA 286

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on November 28, 2018, 09:50:08 PM

It varies in places, and depending on the type of interchange. There's plenty with none or just one, though I figure two blades to be the norm in most places.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on November 28, 2018, 06:11:53 PM

No, I was just waffling on what I thought might be more common.

FWIW, a lot of those rural intersections with no stop signs also have no street blades.
Male pronouns, please.

jon daly

Quote from: kphoger on November 28, 2018, 02:14:32 PM

Street name blades.

I have no idea if this is the right way to approach this, but I'd consider what road signage is most common in major cities. How many stop signs are there on the island of Manhattan?

bzakharin

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 28, 2018, 06:16:49 PM
Eight street blades? At most intersections I encounter, there are two of them. In exceptional circumstances there might be four. Only really huge intersections generally have more.
Around hear, on occasion, at signalized intersections, you'll get one per traffic light direction (4) plus a set or two of free standing ones. That makes 6-8.

But speed limit signs could outpace these because there is often one per direction per block, plus freeways have them and not (usually) blades or stop signs. Of course smaller residential neighborhoods without speed limit signs may counterbalance that.

skluth

Quote from: formulanone on November 29, 2018, 10:18:31 AM
Quote from: 1 on November 28, 2018, 09:50:08 PM

It varies in places, and depending on the type of interchange. There's plenty with none or just one, though I figure two blades to be the norm in most places.

Most intersections here have only two. There might only one if it's just a cul-de-sac off the main street. Major intersections have none, but have a large sign for the cross-street hanging from the stoplight bar like here - https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7936511,-116.4951892,3a,75y,182.1h,83.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9sVit7aaPcvoW_YLOHnbSw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

hotdogPi

Quote from: bzakharin on November 29, 2018, 02:13:55 PM
But speed limit signs could outpace these because there is often one per direction per block, plus freeways have them and not (usually) blades or stop signs. Of course smaller residential neighborhoods without speed limit signs may counterbalance that.

Speed limit signs are definitely less common than street blades.
Clinched, plus MA 286

froggie

Quote from: kphoger on November 29, 2018, 11:27:05 AM
Quote from: webny99 on November 28, 2018, 06:11:53 PM

No, I was just waffling on what I thought might be more common.

FWIW, a lot of those rural intersections with no stop signs also have no street blades.

With the advent of E911 20-ish years ago, this is becoming less and less the case, as rural roads now have street names for E911 identification purposes (also helps with "rural free delivery" for mail).  Numerous states have street blades at virtually every rural corner now...some examples I'm familiar with include Iowa, Minnesota (5th largest road network in the nation), and Vermont.

Michael

Quote from: Rothman on November 28, 2018, 01:03:34 PM
NYSDOT state reference markers. :D
Even though I know you're joking, that makes me wonder if delineators would be #1.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: 1 on November 29, 2018, 02:53:54 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on November 29, 2018, 02:13:55 PM

Speed limit signs are definitely less common than street blades.

Maybe in the nation as a whole but at least around here, there seems to be a positive correlation between the frequency of speed limit signs and the difference between the road's design speed vs. signed speed (as in the lower the dumb limit, the more signs for said dumb limit).

thenetwork

I see where you are going on street blades, but I am not really counting street or blades, because there is no uniformity (different colors, sizes, fonts...) between them like what a STOP sign or a Speed Limit xx sign (albeit there are a few number combos, sizes and fonts, the signs' black-on-white appearance is generally the same.

Let me also add into my likely top-10 list:

- WRONG WAY
- DO NOT ENTER

I believe those are safe bets as well.

GaryV

bing101

Yield has to be common though for intersections.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.