Two Lane Roads in a Four Lane Right of Way.

Started by 3467, January 11, 2021, 01:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

It can be freeway or expressway
Let's skip corridor protection unless we find a lot fewer than I expect.
Illinois
US 50 has to be the leader. Including the under construction Lebanon by pass the ROW extends to Carlyle. Then from before Xenia to the freeway to Indiana.
US 34 From 74 to Wataga 164 near  Monmouth was 34 pre Freeway
The Macomb By Pass 67 North of Macomb was but was finally made 4 lanes.

I will incorporate by reference a current related Wisconsin thread in Midwest.

CapeCodder

TheHighwayMan3561

MN 43 from I-90 to Winona. The four-lane project ran out of money and was never revisited.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

The eastern side of FL-570 around Lakeland. You can see how the overpasses were built with the intent that it would be widened in the future: https://goo.gl/maps/RaTrLcpn7ASsadG98

It has a toll plaza, too: https://goo.gl/maps/CQqmhH16KS9YR9Zb9
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

wanderer2575

In Michigan, M-52 between Tecumseh and Manchester was built with the intention of expanding it to a four-lane divided freeway.  The extra ROW is on the east side of the road.  You can still see where some proposed interchanges were graded out, such as this full cloverleaf with a proposed realigned US-12 (mind you, this was 1950s design):  https://goo.gl/maps/SLHeggnx8AomZoi49

The portion of M-231 constructed thus far also is on ROW sufficient for a four-lane divided freeway, with the hope of future expansion.

hbelkins

KY 67, the Industrial Parkway, between I-64 and US 23.

Portions of the two-lane KY 80 in Pulaski County near the Shopville area have enough ROW for four lanes, but only two lanes were built.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SkyPesos

I will take that!I thought this could be an interesting thread.

CoreySamson

Much of FM 523 around Angleton and Freeport looks like it's on a four-lane ROW. I think they will expand it in the future.

Examples:
Here:
Here:
And here:
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

MikieTimT

Every Super-2 in Arkansas.  Ultimately will become 4 lane expressways when funds become available, though.

thspfc

Pretty sure that US-51 between Tomahawk and just south of Hazelhurst WI is. It's a bit confusing as the clear zones were expanded a few years ago between Tomahawk and a couple miles south of the start of the current multilane stretch at CTH-D. I don't know if WISDOT doesn't have the ROW between the north end of the four lane clear zones and CTH-D, or if they just haven't acted on it.

Jmiles32

Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

DJ Particle

SkyPesos

Quote from: DJ Particle on January 11, 2021, 11:50:37 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on January 11, 2021, 02:50:03 PM
I found a 0 lane road in a 4 lane right of way while looking through Alabama a couple of days ago

Isn't that supposed to be a future US-98?
It lines up with US 98 on both ends, so I guess so, except...
I went to check that section on google earth with historical imagery this time to see how back it dates to, and that 4 lane right of way has been finished and unused since 2010. How does a state screw up this bad that it's not in use 10 years after completion?

amroad17

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 11, 2021, 11:57:01 PM
I found a 0 lane road in a 4 lane right of way while looking through Alabama a couple of days ago

I went to check that section on google earth with historical imagery this time to see how back it dates to, and that 4 lane right of way has been finished and unused since 2010. How does a state screw up this bad that it's not in use 10 years after completion?
It's not the first time Alabama has done this.  This is near Phil Campbell...

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.3473222,-87.6938205,7399m/data=!3m1!1e3
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

amroad17

Concerning the post of Jmiles32, I thought VA 225 ended at South Blvd. just south of the I-264 interchange.  Did VDOT extend the route or is this just a Google Maps error?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

18 wheel warrior

Quote from: amroad17 on January 12, 2021, 02:37:54 AM
Concerning the post of Jmiles32, I thought VA 225 ended at South Blvd. just south of the I-264 interchange.  Did VDOT extend the route or is this just a Google Maps error?

It's Google error; you're correct.

webny99

This might be a bit different than what the OP is looking for, but what comes to mind is this section of NY 153, which was four lanes until a few years ago when it was restriped as three lanes (2+TWLTL).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on January 12, 2021, 09:08:14 AM
This might be a bit different than what the OP is looking for, but what comes to mind is this section of NY 153, which was four lanes until a few years ago when it was restriped as three lanes (2+TWLTL).

That's typically termed a road diet, which I don't think the OP is really referencing here.  What he wants is where right-of-way for a 4 lane roadway exists, but only a 2 lane roadway exists.

Because right of way is typically wider than the paved roadway, I would imagine many 2 lane roadways have room for 4 lanes.  Heck, even my property survey map shows my tiny side street, less than 30' wide paved curb to curb, as actually having 25' of right of way on either side of the center point of the roadway, which would make it wide enough for 4 lanes.  But that is never gonna happen!

mgk920

Quote from: thspfc on January 11, 2021, 06:21:40 PM
Pretty sure that US-51 between Tomahawk and just south of Hazelhurst WI is. It's a bit confusing as the clear zones were expanded a few years ago between Tomahawk and a couple miles south of the start of the current multilane stretch at CTH-D. I don't know if WISDOT doesn't have the ROW between the north end of the four lane clear zones and CTH-D, or if they just haven't acted on it.

The original 1950s/1960s plan for US 51 in that area was for a fully interstate compatible freeway on a new ROW.  That plan was developed/completed to where it joins the 'old' US 51 ROW just south of Irma.  The US 51 new-ROW freeway was to swing a bit farther east at that curve, I believe to continue northward to about where the present-day Tomahawk bypass begins.

At County 'K' and County 'L' (the latter is the US 51 'old road'), that US 51 new-ROW freeway was to continue northward as a west side bypass of the Lakeland (Minocqua/Woodruff) area.  It was then planned to continue to end at the trumpet (soon to be a roundabout) at US 2 at Hurley.

The Tomahawk bypass was built as a 'Super Two' freeway on a four lane ROW (the SB side was built first), with full four lanes being completed by the early 1990s.

Mike

I-39

Quote from: mgk920 on January 12, 2021, 12:05:11 PM
Quote from: thspfc on January 11, 2021, 06:21:40 PM

The original 1950s/1960s plan for US 51 in that area was for a fully interstate compatible freeway on a new ROW.  That plan was developed/completed to where it joins the 'old' US 51 ROW just south of Irma.  The US 51 new-ROW freeway was to swing a bit farther east at that curve, I believe to continue northward to about where the present-day Tomahawk bypass begins.

At County 'K' and County 'L' (the latter is the US 51 'old road'), that US 51 new-ROW freeway was to continue northward as a west side bypass of the Lakeland (Minocqua/Woodruff) area.  It was then planned to continue to end at the trumpet (soon to be a roundabout) at US 2 at Hurley.

The Tomahawk bypass was built as a 'Super Two' freeway on a four lane ROW (the SB side was built first), with full four lanes being completed by the early 1990s.

Mike

Do you have a source stating the US 51 freeway was to continue north of US 8? The only thing I saw was that Milwaukee-Superior Interstate/freeway proposal from the 1960s. That would've upgraded US 51 from Wausau to Ironwood.

Also, I wonder if they'll ever remove the remaining at-grade intersections on US 51 in the Irma area, so the freeway is continuous from Portage to US 8.

Bitmapped

This setup was common in Ohio during a lot of 1960s era relocations. Examples include:
- OH 57 between I-76 and Rittman
- OH 585 north of OH 94
- US 50 east of Londonderry, part of which had a second set of lanes built recently for testing purposes
- Two-lane part of US 22 between Cadiz bypass and OH 151
- Two lane part of US 42 near Spring Valley (between 4-lane sections)
- OH 73 bypass of Corwin east of US 42

In Maryland:
- US 219 north of Deep Creek Lake bridge to MD 42
- US 220 north of I-68
- US 15 south of US 340

In West Virginia, the prime example is the King Coal Expressway (future US 52) between WV 65 and WV 44. If the other pair of lanes is ever built, it will be a narrow raised median.

vdeane

Quote from: amroad17 on January 12, 2021, 02:31:01 AM

I can't help but wonder if the long time just sitting there is bad for the bridges.  That bridge near the Mississippi border looks more like it's been abandoned than like it's waiting for the rest of the road to be built.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SkyPesos

Quote from: vdeane on January 12, 2021, 01:02:05 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on January 12, 2021, 02:31:01 AM

I can't help but wonder if the long time just sitting there is bad for the bridges.  That bridge near the Mississippi border looks more like it's been abandoned than like it's waiting for the rest of the road to be built.
This bridge?
My first impression of this based on the condition of the bridge is that Alabama gave up on it, since it doesn't even seem to be maintained. I would want to know why that 4 lane row has been "abandoned" for a long time, considering that US 98 between Hattiesburg and Mobile, along with US 49 from Jackson to Hattiesburg, is part of the fastest route to FL from most of the I-20 corridor west of Jackson, including the DFW area. So solely based on the importance of the road for long distance travel, I thought they would actually want to 4 lane it asap. From what it looks like, Mississippi finished their 4 lane section, and the road narrows down to 2 lanes right before the AL border. I could do some searching on the Alabama forum here later; maybe there will be more detailed explanations for this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.