News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignBridge

Yeah, that's just what we need. Another flatfooted attempt by politicians to show a neighborhood that they're doing something about a problem. Like this will make any difference at all.

kalvado

Quote from: SignBridge on April 19, 2024, 07:59:59 PMYeah, that's just what we need. Another flatfooted attempt by politicians to show a neighborhood that they're doing something about a problem. Like this will make any difference at all.
Don't underestimate amount of abuse people are willing to take for the privilege of being called a "New Yorker"

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on April 22, 2024, 09:26:34 AM
Quote from: SignBridge on April 19, 2024, 07:59:59 PMYeah, that's just what we need. Another flatfooted attempt by politicians to show a neighborhood that they're doing something about a problem. Like this will make any difference at all.
Don't underestimate amount of abuse people are willing to take for the privilege of being called a "New Yorker"

Not many people in NYC would consider a speed limit reduction abuse...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on April 22, 2024, 09:29:03 AM

I am not sure how to feel about overall trends in NYC.
On one hand, Manhattan is obviously running over capacity. Hence congestion pricing, limiting speeds, trouble dance with medallions, uber, Airbnb.
And although public transportation is better than anywhere else in US, my understanding is that it is not really an option for many people. Not that there is a lot of spare capacity in MTA as well.
Should I call that catch-22?

bmitchelf

Quote from: kalvado on April 22, 2024, 11:01:54 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 22, 2024, 09:29:03 AM

I am not sure how to feel about overall trends in NYC.
On one hand, Manhattan is obviously running over capacity. Hence congestion pricing, limiting speeds, trouble dance with medallions, uber, Airbnb.
And although public transportation is better than anywhere else in US, my understanding is that it is not really an option for many people. Not that there is a lot of spare capacity in MTA as well.
Should I call that catch-22?

If it was "not really an option for many people" then traffic would be at a standstill all day. There is definitely spare capacity post covid.

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on April 16, 2024, 01:50:44 PMIt's too bad I-87 doesn't have any CC sites between Glens Falls and Plattsburgh. Eclipse day saw 92k total near Saratoga and 82k near Glens Falls, but that six-lane section sees plenty of traffic already. The numbers north of Lake George relative to typical traffic were probably historic.

The Binghamton area also has a surprising lack of CC sites, particularly the I-81/86 overlap (seems important), and I-81 near the PA line (especially weird because almost all major routes to/from other states have a CC site, and many also have a WIM site). 

Admittedly, I'm a bit obsessed with getting my hands on more data, but I'm so disappointed about 81/86 that I'm even considering looking into camera footage instead. I just can't believe NYSDOT has not established a CC location anywhere on I-81 south of Whitney Point, so there's essentially no historical traffic count data for the Binghamton area.

On a more positive note though, it's great to see that NYSDOT has reactivated the CC site on I-490 just east of downtown Rochester.

Rothman

Psst.  That's because CCs are becoming obsolete with modern data collection methods...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on April 24, 2024, 06:35:26 PMPsst.  That's because CCs are becoming obsolete with modern data collection methods...

What modern data collection methods would replace CC's?

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on April 24, 2024, 08:37:00 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 24, 2024, 06:35:26 PMPsst.  That's because CCs are becoming obsolete with modern data collection methods...

Simply extrapolating from camera counts.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on April 30, 2024, 05:12:07 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 24, 2024, 08:37:00 PM

Simply extrapolating from camera counts.

Is there any publicly accessible source for camera data? The only one I can find online is an aggregator site that charges for camera footage.

vdeane

The materials from tonight's open house on I-787, including potential concepts, are online.

https://webapps.dot.ny.gov/reimagining-i-787
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheDon102

Quote from: vdeane on May 01, 2024, 08:55:12 PMThe materials from tonight's open house on I-787, including potential concepts, are online.

Yeah it seems like the state will be removing 787 south of I-90. What a shame.

SectorZ

If I-787 gets cut off from its parent, does it keep the number? Given an x90 isn't an option, maybe just make the whole thing NY 787 in that case.

okc1

Quote from: SectorZ on May 02, 2024, 09:10:49 AMIf I-787 gets cut off from its parent, does it keep the number? Given an x90 isn't an option, maybe just make the whole thing NY 787 in that case.
It could stay. Lots of I-x278s, plus I-495, in NYC never connected to their parent. In Oklahoma, AASHTO just approved I-335 east of OKC, with no guarantee it will ever connect to I-35.
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

kalvado

Quote from: TheDon102 on May 01, 2024, 09:38:48 PM
Quote from: vdeane on May 01, 2024, 08:55:12 PMThe materials from tonight's open house on I-787, including potential concepts, are online.

Yeah it seems like the state will be removing 787 south of I-90. What a shame.
My impression is that they deliberately put a price tag on it to discourage anything from actually happening. alternatives are in a $3-7B range, while state has hard time with $2.4B Syracuse I-81 project and Thruway will take a while to recover from Tappan Zee $4B bridge.

webny99

I can't quite fathom how there is so much variance in cost between the alternatives, but if the freeway does end up being removed, it will be a significant downgrade for the redundancy of Albany's freeway network as traffic between north and south will have to use the Thruway/Northway rather than I-787/NY 7.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: okc1 on May 02, 2024, 09:49:17 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on May 02, 2024, 09:10:49 AMIf I-787 gets cut off from its parent, does it keep the number? Given an x90 isn't an option, maybe just make the whole thing NY 787 in that case.
It could stay. Lots of I-x278s, plus I-495, in NYC never connected to their parent. In Oklahoma, AASHTO just approved I-335 east of OKC, with no guarantee it will ever connect to I-35.
What do you mean there's no guarantee it will connect? At this point, it seems like a certainty that it will connect to the southern segment by Purcell. I'm not sure how far along they are with that project but I would suspect land acquisition will begin very soon if it hasn't already.

Land acquisition and design for the east to west connector which will go all the way from I-44 with a five level stack at I-35 and then to the Kickapoo southern extension(I-335) has already begun.

kalvado

Quote from: webny99 on May 02, 2024, 10:49:43 AMI can't quite fathom how there is so much variance in cost between the alternatives, but if the freeway does end up being removed, it will be a significant downgrade for the redundancy of Albany's freeway network as traffic between north and south will have to use the Thruway/Northway rather than I-787/NY 7.
It's a political push, so who cares about the aftermath.

Plutonic Panda

Why do they Even bother with tunnel options since we know, especially given a lot of posters here Who just go with the status quo of oh, it's too expensive. Doesn't make sense blah, blah blah.

I mean, even now, it seems like every other country and their dog are able to build tunnels with no problem. We just can't do it in the united states. It should have been done in Syracuse, but they didn't do it So what makes anyone think they're gonna do it here. They need to keep this freeway. But i'm sure they will go with the boulevard option. Par for the course with new york.

The Ghostbuster

I don't know about Syracuse, but I would love to see more tunnels built in the United States. I was disappointed that the 710 tunnel in Los Angeles wasn't built, and the Gowanus Expressway Tunnel in New York City was canned. A tunnel bypassing the Brooklyn Heights segment of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway will probably never be built either, but it was a noble idea considering how difficult it will be to reconstruct the double-decked segment under the Brooklyn Heights Promenade.

kalvado

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 02, 2024, 11:30:38 AM

Why do they Even bother with tunnel options since we know, especially given a lot of posters here Who just go with the status quo of oh, it's too expensive. Doesn't make sense blah, blah blah.

I mean, even now, it seems like every other country and their dog are able to build tunnels with no problem. We just can't do it in the united states. It should have been done in Syracuse, but they didn't do it So what makes anyone think they're gonna do it here. They need to keep this freeway. But i'm sure they will go with the boulevard option. Par for the course with new york.
Welcome to the fourth world, mister.

Rothman

You're still beating this broken drum...

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Rothman on May 02, 2024, 03:16:10 PM

You're still beating this broken drum...
Like clockwork.

And just like how you can't help yourself by not responding I can't help myself by not beating this broken drum. I'll keep beating it.

vdeane

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 02, 2024, 11:30:38 AMWhy do they Even bother with tunnel options since we know, especially given a lot of posters here Who just go with the status quo of oh, it's too expensive. Doesn't make sense blah, blah blah.
DOTs need to study every option, even if unlikely to be implemented, in order to document everything related to it and support why it wasn't chosen.  Otherwise someone will say "why didn't you look at [insert option here]" and the project will get delayed to study it later.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Plutonic Panda

Lol let's study flying cars then

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.