Shortest US Highway Non-Mainline

Started by Avalanchez71, March 21, 2024, 09:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

So, I was poking around and found a US 82S down in AR that seems awfully short near Crossett, AR.  The road appears to go nowhere and is only like 1/4 mile long if that.  What is the deal with this one?  It is fully marked off US 82 and it has its own reassurance sign.  Any other contenders out there?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.1510362,-92.1004875,3a,78y,181.22h,83.81t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sm4CL7BBIe0R2ul0PmzSDmQ!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3Dm4CL7BBIe0R2ul0PmzSDmQ%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D68.072464%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

TheHighwayMan3561

Spur US 50 in Smithton, Missouri (pop 570) comes to mind as a more random one.

ALT US 101 that's about 1.5 miles long and saves you the loop through Ilwaco and Seavoew.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Mapmikey

There was a US 74A for nearly 40 years through the village of Leland NC.  0.17 miles.  Don't know if it was posted...

1967 Brunswick County Map

Road Hog

There are probably dozens of Business US highways in Texas alone that are a couple miles long or less.

jlam

Of all the ones I've mapped so far, it appears to be US 82S at Crossett Port, AR. ~0.12 miles. The entire route is visible in this screenshot:

Molandfreak

^That's the one mentioned in the OP
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Max Rockatansky

The Central Freeway west of Mission Street to Market Street in San Francisco is classified by Caltrans as part of US 101.  While the stub isn't signed as anything US 101 the Postmiles are and aren't continuous from the mainline highway (M5.23-M5.447).

jlam

Quote from: Molandfreak on March 21, 2024, 10:25:04 PM
^That's the one mentioned in the OP

Ah, that's what I get when I don't read OP

Second place would be US 67B in Datto

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: jlam on March 21, 2024, 10:20:29 PM
Of all the ones I've mapped so far, it appears to be US 82S at Crossett Port, AR. ~0.12 miles.

How and why would the State of Arkansas post a road that is essentially a 600 foot driveway as a US highway, even with a suffix?  It's even signed at its intersection with US 82 on both sides of the road.

"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

TheStranger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 21, 2024, 10:33:25 PM
The Central Freeway west of Mission Street to Market Street in San Francisco is classified by Caltrans as part of US 101.  While the stub isn't signed as anything US 101 the Postmiles are and aren't continuous from the mainline highway (M5.23-M5.447).

I remember the whole thing about 10 between 101 and the 5/10 junction as "10S" in the route log.  Is the Market/Ocatvia to Van Ness section of the Central Freeway...101S or just "101"?

Also makes me wonder what category puts something in to be categorized as (unsigned) route spur as opposed to be elongated ramps in California, i.e.

ex-134/6/99 in Glendale: 5S
former 66A/134 near Eagle Rock: not given a route designation
the I-710 spurs in downtown Long Beach: not sure
Chris Sampang

Molandfreak

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on March 22, 2024, 01:20:04 AM
Quote from: jlam on March 21, 2024, 10:20:29 PM
Of all the ones I've mapped so far, it appears to be US 82S at Crossett Port, AR. ~0.12 miles.

How and why would the State of Arkansas post a road that is essentially a 600 foot driveway as a US highway, even with a suffix?  It's even signed at its intersection with US 82 on both sides of the road.

Right. This is by far the most obscure special route I've ever heard of. Even if the USFWS didn't want to maintain this driveway for some reason, why would ArDOT give it this kind of fanfare? There has to be a story behind it that someone knows.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheStranger on March 22, 2024, 01:20:35 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 21, 2024, 10:33:25 PM

I remember the whole thing about 10 between 101 and the 5/10 junction as "10S" in the route log.  Is the Market/Ocatvia to Van Ness section of the Central Freeway...101S or just "101"?

Also makes me wonder what category puts something in to be categorized as (unsigned) route spur as opposed to be elongated ramps in California, i.e.

ex-134/6/99 in Glendale: 5S
former 66A/134 near Eagle Rock: not given a route designation
the I-710 spurs in downtown Long Beach: not sure

Just 101 in the case of the Central Freeway stub.  That's why I noted the odds non-continuous Post Mileage.  For all intents and purposes it should be 101S, but isn't.  Mission Street has "T" Post Miles indicating it to be a temporary alignment.  No doubt that was likely the intent before the city passed a resolution about no new elevated freeways north of Market Street.

Regarding 5S in Glendale, that was for a time the original 163.  Why it didn't stay that way doesn't make a lot of sense given that is one of the larger S routes and longer than some mainline state highways.

TheStranger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 22, 2024, 07:56:56 AM

Just 101 in the case of the Central Freeway stub.  That's why I noted the odds non-continuous Post Mileage.  For all intents and purposes it should be 101S, but isn't.  Mission Street has "T" Post Miles indicating it to be a temporary alignment.  No doubt that was likely the intent before the city passed a resolution about no new elevated freeways north of Market Street.

Are there any other "T" alignments that have lasted 34 years or more, hehe.

Though interestingly, that South Van Ness/Mission section was part of US 101 in the interim years (1954-1955) between when the Van Ness cloverleaf was finished, and when the Central Freeway made it to the now-deprecated Turk/Franklin north terminus.  The closure of that northern segment did restore a portion of surface street US 101 between Turk and Market (going right past City Hall) that was part of the 1930s-1950s route.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 22, 2024, 07:56:56 AM
Regarding 5S in Glendale, that was for a time the original 163.  Why it didn't stay that way doesn't make a lot of sense given that is one of the larger S routes and longer than some mainline state highways.

I wonder if this is in the same vein as the removal of the original I-110 along what is now 10S.  Basically, 1964 California was "let's give every state-maintained route a theoretical sign number" and 1965 was the first year that that very concept was already being walked back.  In that vein, was 262 the route that took the longest from being conceived (1965 due to the 17/680 changes) to finally being signed (starting in the early 2000s along I-680, and now with trailblazers since at least 2021)?  259, 114 also seem to fit this, if scant signage counts.
Chris Sampang

Rothman

Wasn't there a US62X or US62EX in Maysville, KY?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mapmikey

South Carolina has US Con routes.  Some are posted with real shields and are longer.

Some are posted like their secondary system.  Here is one in Summerton, SC, which is only 0.085 miles long

Avalanchez71

I wonder what the backstory is with this one.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on March 22, 2024, 01:49:59 PM

With the exception of the posted US 31EX in Mt. Washington -- which is now gone, as the state ceded control of that route over to the city last year --  the "nnX" is supposed to be an internal designation for a business route. At one time, Business US 62 was posted in Maysville, but when US 68 was routed onto its new alignment along a western bypass, US 62 reverted to its route through downtown and across the Simon Kenton Bridge. There is a short Business US 68 that runs from the intersection where US 68 turns onto the new bypass to the intersection with US 62 in Washington (or Old Washington, as locals call it.)

There's a short US 67S that forks off the US 62/US 67 concurrency in Arkansas that's fully posted.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on March 22, 2024, 08:25:18 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 22, 2024, 01:49:59 PM

With the exception of the posted US 31EX in Mt. Washington -- which is now gone, as the state ceded control of that route over to the city last year --  the "nnX" is supposed to be an internal designation for a business route. At one time, Business US 62 was posted in Maysville, but when US 68 was routed onto its new alignment along a western bypass, US 62 reverted to its route through downtown and across the Simon Kenton Bridge. There is a short Business US 68 that runs from the intersection where US 68 turns onto the new bypass to the intersection with US 62 in Washington (or Old Washington, as locals call it.)

There's a short US 67S that forks off the US 62/US 67 concurrency in Arkansas that's fully posted.

Ah, I was probably thinking of US 31EX, then.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Quillz

Quote from: TheStranger on March 22, 2024, 12:09:53 PMBasically, 1964 California was "let's give every state-maintained route a theoretical sign number"
Oregon ended up doing that starting in 2002 or so. Explains some of the 5xx routes. Another reason I've always been in favor of county routes working more like logical extensions, rather than independent systems. No doubt a lot of routes in California could have benefited from signage and just letting someone other than the state maintain them. (Kind of like relinquishment, but with better signage).

Road Hog

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on March 22, 2024, 01:20:04 AM
Quote from: jlam on March 21, 2024, 10:20:29 PMOf all the ones I've mapped so far, it appears to be US 82S at Crossett Port, AR. ~0.12 miles.

Probably someone with some pull with the state got a free driveway back in the day. Not uncommon in Arkansas. Multiple examples still abound to this day.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.