News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The I-65/70 North Split Reconstruction

Started by silverback1065, July 26, 2020, 09:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

not sure, just saw it on the news. i am sure you can find it on INDOT greenfield district's website.

cjw2001

Quote from: bmeiser on June 01, 2023, 02:18:33 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 31, 2023, 08:17:31 AM
INDOT is seeking opinions on the interstates inside 465, excluding north split. They want to see how they should improve them. I think removal is off the table. What do you guys think should be done to improve the inside interstates? I think the south leg of the inner loop (70) needs some cleanup, make restore the street grid as much as you can and to cap most of the south split. the virginia on ramp needs some work too. the Keystone Rural exit should be turned into a simple diamond or SPUI. The on ramp to 65s from west/mlk needs merging room.
Where are they accepting feedback officially?

Pixel 7
https://propelindy.com/

bmeiser

Quote from: cjw2001 on June 01, 2023, 07:51:50 PM
Quote from: bmeiser on June 01, 2023, 02:18:33 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 31, 2023, 08:17:31 AM
INDOT is seeking opinions on the interstates inside 465, excluding north split. They want to see how they should improve them. I think removal is off the table. What do you guys think should be done to improve the inside interstates? I think the south leg of the inner loop (70) needs some cleanup, make restore the street grid as much as you can and to cap most of the south split. the virginia on ramp needs some work too. the Keystone Rural exit should be turned into a simple diamond or SPUI. The on ramp to 65s from west/mlk needs merging room.
Where are they accepting feedback officially?

Pixel 7
https://propelindy.com/
Thanks! Links are always helpful!

Pixel 7

ysuindy

silverback1065

seems like the new traffic patterns for the new interchange are much better for all approaches except SB 65. it now consistently backs up all the way to the white river, where before it just backed up to 21st street. I do not understand why this is happening. anyone have a guess?

cjw2001

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 03, 2023, 04:59:58 PM
seems like the new traffic patterns for the new interchange are much better for all approaches except SB 65. it now consistently backs up all the way to the white river, where before it just backed up to 21st street. I do not understand why this is happening. anyone have a guess?
My guess:  Could it be more people using the West Street ramp since they can't use the 11th/Delaware ramp any longer to get to 65?   The backups seem to correlate with the merge of the West Street ramp.

silverback1065

Quote from: cjw2001 on October 03, 2023, 05:17:16 PM
My guess:  Could it be more people using the West Street ramp since they can't use the 11th/Delaware ramp any longer to get to 65?   The backups seem to correlate with the merge of the West Street ramp.

That may be it. that ramp has 0 merge area. and it's scary during rush hour. also I think people are still confused as to which lane does what approaching the interchange.

ITB

In mid-September, another two drone videos were uploaded. These might be the final videos of the project.

SSR_317

Quote from: ITB on October 04, 2023, 02:51:28 PM

In mid-September, another two drone videos were uploaded. These might be the final videos of the project.

Thanks for posting these links!

Would be nice if they did two more final flyovers, next spring or summer (2024), to better show the results of the final landscaping. But except for the far-left lane of Pine Street (because of work on the adjacent embankment), the traffic parts have all been completed. So these might indeed be the last ones we see.

IMHO the I-465/I-69 Clear Path Project's contractors & INDOT need to hire the people/company who produced these excellent drone flyovers for the North Split project to better document that one! But alas, given the history of that project and the contractors involved, sadly I may be expecting far too much from them.

cjw2001

cjw2001

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 03, 2023, 06:26:58 PM
Quote from: cjw2001 on October 03, 2023, 05:17:16 PM

That may be it. that ramp has 0 merge area. and it's scary during rush hour. also I think people are still confused as to which lane does what approaching the interchange.
Sounds like this could be a good place for a ramp meter that would activate when the mainline gets congested.   Spreading out the merging traffic would likely help quite a bit.

purdueboiler

Does anyone know why the painting of the bridges and supports seems to have stopped in mid paintjob for the past few months?

silverback1065

Quote from: purdueboiler on October 24, 2023, 03:28:56 PM
Does anyone know why the painting of the bridges and supports seems to have stopped in mid paintjob for the past few months?

I have 2 pure guesses, weather and scheduling. other than that i have no idea. they seem to be dragging their feet on the local road improvements too.

cjw2001

Surprisingly they are still posting updated drone video (the Clearpath project could learn from this).  Some of the progress on local road improvements is visible on the new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlzSY1sgETM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA4qbkl0j50

cjw2001

More updated video just posted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLUe2FnxFLk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrnuVGGKBMQ

Looks like quite a bit of progress on the local street repairs/repaving.

Moose

Rumor is there is a small snafu of sorts.

There is a lift stuck in no mans land along the I-70 WB ramp. They were using it there and apparently have blocked its exit by accident with guardrails.

I don't know this for sure, but you can sure see it from the ramp.. and looking on google earth, I can see where there might not be an exit for it now.

UPDATE: You can see it at several points in the videos, its to the left of the WB I-70 mainline ramp

Moose

I made a snapshot of the video.

You can clearly see in this pic it is trapped.

If you look back in the previous videos, its been there a while

bmeiser

Quote from: Moose on November 22, 2023, 01:22:39 PM
I made a snapshot of the video.

You can clearly see in this pic it is trapped.

If you look back in the previous videos, its been there a while

This is pretty hilarious.

Pixel 7

ilpt4u

Why can't the lift be driven down to 10th St at the underpass? Am I missing a barricade somewhere?

Moose

Quote from: ilpt4u on November 23, 2023, 01:15:40 PM
Why can't the lift be driven down to 10th St at the underpass? Am I missing a barricade somewhere?

It's in a straight walled trench

ilpt4u

Quote from: Moose on November 23, 2023, 05:23:00 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on November 23, 2023, 01:15:40 PM
It's in a straight walled trench
So? Drive it there and use a platform lift to lower it to close to street level then ramp it down

Could use a crane, also, but more work and expensive for that

cjw2001

The project has once again posted updated drone video on their YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx4y8CdZcQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se-tgg3FhV4

Looks like all the local street improvements are pretty much complete at this point.

And that lift is still there at 0:18  on the second video.

silverback1065

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.