News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Milwaukee's Stadium Freeway Future

Started by chrismarion100, April 21, 2023, 12:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

I'm most intrigued by a direct feed in that would direct that traffic away from the park and the pvblic library branch that is on the inside corner of Lloyd and Sherman.  I also do like your thoughts regarding putting the (Stadium Boulevard/Parkway) at the east edge of the freeway ROW.

Mike

hobsini2

Quote from: mgk920 on May 11, 2023, 02:01:04 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 10, 2023, 09:07:57 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 10, 2023, 02:47:53 AM
I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why this freeway should be removed. It's in an area dominated by cars. What difference would an at grade boulevard do other than just move traffic but much more inefficiently.

First, the traffic drops off pretty significantly the further north you go.

Second, it really is a barrier in that neighborhood that restricts access to Wick Park and Washington Park.  (I used to live in that area in the early 90s.)

But I don't think the entire freeway should be removed.  This was expressed by someone else in this topic, but I think they should maintain the freeway northward until it crosses the Menomonee Valley, the railroad tracks and State Street.  After that it has plenty of room to become a boulevard starting at Juneau, which can now cut through again. A nice boulevard between that point and Lisbon would function nicely.

A couple of weeks ago I was intrigued by a map that someone made and put up in another forvm that showed a 45 or so degree crossover at Lisbon to directly feed Sherman Boulevard into (stadium boulevard/parkway).  I hope that WisDOT gives that one a fair hearing.

Mike
That was my map idea MGK.  Here it is again for those whole missed it.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/2/edit?mid=1GB6nT_bvfMIl57TEExnEyuBmFBy0i2k&usp=sharing
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Plutonic Panda

^^^ I like that idea but perhaps State St., Martin Dr., and Vliet St. should at grade intersections to better connect the two neighborhoods. They could also remove Alois st. since the new boulevard would serve that traffic anyways. I'd keep everything south of State St including the RR tracks(obviously) grade separated and controlled access.

I'd also propose a roundabout at Sherman BLVD.

Is there purple rectangle over North Ave a proposed bridge?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 11, 2023, 01:09:16 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 11, 2023, 08:49:14 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 11, 2023, 12:36:09 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 10, 2023, 08:53:32 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 10, 2023, 05:04:18 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 10, 2023, 04:59:32 PM

There's plenty of room for development if it is turned into a boulevard.   

Where? Maybe at Martin Dr but that's one single intersection and a pretty small area.

Pretty much the whole corridor. I used to live near there. You're looking at Google. If you don't believe me, I no longer care.
I mean, I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I am looking at google. In street view and aerial. I'm just not seeing how it would add a ton of development but maybe I'm wrong. I'm not going to die on this hill so I guess we'll see. I just think it would be smarter to add more park and green space in lieu of road space if this freeway is removed.

You don't have to convince me of anything cause I know I have a better understanding of the area than you do.
Jesus fucking Christ you're being defensive. Tone it down a bit. I never said you didn't have a better understanding and I've admittedly posted I don't know the area and I'm looking at it through google maps.

I'm not going to bother stating anything further. I'll wait until the study is released which should give a better idea of just how much extra land will be available for development if a boulevard replacement is selected.

I'm not being defensive. I am talking out of knowledge and experience in the actual area while you're looking at a Google Map.  Sorry if I therefore dismiss your thoughts on the matter.

The Ghostbuster

Your proposal is intriguing, hobsini2. However, it would require the removal of homes and businesses, and I don't think the locals would be too happy with that. I think it would be better to terminate the roadway at a signaled intersection at Lisbon Ave. and reconnect 47th St. with Lisbon.

mgk920

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 11, 2023, 07:03:15 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on May 11, 2023, 02:01:04 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 10, 2023, 09:07:57 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 10, 2023, 02:47:53 AM
I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why this freeway should be removed. It's in an area dominated by cars. What difference would an at grade boulevard do other than just move traffic but much more inefficiently.

First, the traffic drops off pretty significantly the further north you go.

Second, it really is a barrier in that neighborhood that restricts access to Wick Park and Washington Park.  (I used to live in that area in the early 90s.)

But I don't think the entire freeway should be removed.  This was expressed by someone else in this topic, but I think they should maintain the freeway northward until it crosses the Menomonee Valley, the railroad tracks and State Street.  After that it has plenty of room to become a boulevard starting at Juneau, which can now cut through again. A nice boulevard between that point and Lisbon would function nicely.

A couple of weeks ago I was intrigued by a map that someone made and put up in another forvm that showed a 45 or so degree crossover at Lisbon to directly feed Sherman Boulevard into (stadium boulevard/parkway).  I hope that WisDOT gives that one a fair hearing.

Mike
That was my map idea MGK.  Here it is again for those whole missed it.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/2/edit?mid=1GB6nT_bvfMIl57TEExnEyuBmFBy0i2k&usp=sharing

Thank you!   :nod:

Mike

thspfc

Destruction of neighborhoods is completely off the table, especially for a stub freeway that doesn't go anywhere. And there would probably still be more traffic to and from Lisbon Ave. than to and from Sherman Ave.

mgk920

Quote from: thspfc on May 12, 2023, 11:23:13 AM
Destruction of neighborhoods is completely off the table, especially for a stub freeway that doesn't go anywhere. And there would probably still be more traffic to and from Lisbon Ave. than to and from Sherman Ave.

That is a question that will have to be answered, balancing the street traffic that is now on that section of Lloyd by the park and the Pvblic Library branch that is on the inside corner of the corridor turn at Sherman v. those houses and small businesses that will have to be relocated.  It's where such planners earn their pay.

Mike

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mgk920 on May 12, 2023, 12:42:38 PM

That is a question that will have to be answered, balancing the street traffic that is now on that section of Lloyd by the park and the Pvblic Library branch that is on the inside corner of the corridor turn at Sherman v. those houses and small businesses that will have to be relocated.  It's where such planners earn their pay.

I like the idea in concept, but I think it would be a non-starter.

hobsini2

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 11, 2023, 08:23:37 PM
^^^ I like that idea but perhaps State St., Martin Dr., and Vliet St. should at grade intersections to better connect the two neighborhoods. They could also remove Alois st. since the new boulevard would serve that traffic anyways. I'd keep everything south of State St including the RR tracks(obviously) grade separated and controlled access.

I'd also propose a roundabout at Sherman BLVD.

Is there purple rectangle over North Ave a proposed bridge?
The purple rectangle is a proposed bridge. I did that because of the angle of the shift and North Ave is a busy enough city street.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 12, 2023, 01:58:40 PM

The reason I thought about tying the north end of the current Stadium Frwy to Sherman Blvd is because if you go north on Sherman, it already is a 4 lane boulevard with a couple of interchanges, one at Silver Spring and the other tying into Teutonia Ave. The street really does act more like a stroad north of Lisbon Ave. And with the continuation south of Miller Park down to Loomis Rd, this would be a good alternate to get north and south in Milwaukee County.

Now that being said, I know that this very likely will not get any legs because of the loss of homes and businesses to connect the 2 roadways.

FightingIrish

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 20, 2023, 02:29:02 PM

The reason I thought about tying the north end of the current Stadium Frwy to Sherman Blvd is because if you go north on Sherman, it already is a 4 lane boulevard with a couple of interchanges, one at Silver Spring and the other tying into Teutonia Ave. The street really does act more like a stroad north of Lisbon Ave. And with the continuation south of Miller Park down to Loomis Rd, this would be a good alternate to get north and south in Milwaukee County.

Now that being said, I know that this very likely will not get any legs because of the loss of homes and businesses to connect the 2 roadways.
I would definitely say no to a direct connection with Sherman Blvd. Sherman is full of crazy, reckless drivers, and creating more of a direct connection to a freeway is a bad idea. I like the Sherman/Lloyd/WI 175 setup as is.

Besides, most of the Stadium Freeway traffic follows wherever WI 175 (former US 41) goes., Which would be the opposite direction with Lisbon and Appleton.

BTW - I have driven through this area more times and for more years than I can possibly count. I know it very well.

SEWIGuy

So you don't make logical road connections because a road is full of "crazy drivers?"  🤪🤪🤪

hobsini2

Quote from: FightingIrish on May 20, 2023, 07:04:09 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on May 20, 2023, 02:29:02 PM

I would definitely say no to a direct connection with Sherman Blvd. Sherman is full of crazy, reckless drivers, and creating more of a direct connection to a freeway is a bad idea. I like the Sherman/Lloyd/WI 175 setup as is.

Besides, most of the Stadium Freeway traffic follows wherever WI 175 (former US 41) goes., Which would be the opposite direction with Lisbon and Appleton.

BTW - I have driven through this area more times and for more years than I can possibly count. I know it very well.
And Lisbon, Appleton and Fond du Lac Aves don't have their share of crazy drivers? I too am quite familiar with the area. My ex is in West Allis. 76th St and Lincoln Ave have their crazy drivers too.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: FightingIrish on May 20, 2023, 07:04:09 PM

That's true, but not by much.  As I mentioned earlier, 55% of the traffic continues on WI 175 with 45% exiting/entering at Lloyd, per WisDOT AADT numbers.

That being said, I don't expect the ultimate plan to directly feed Sherman into the new boulevard.  That's going to take more r/w and the whole point of this endeavor is to liberate existing r/w for other uses.  Traffic going between Sherman and WI 175 will likely continue to have to 'dogleg' over on Lloyd. And I think that will be just fine.

We used to use this freeway stub all the time when traveling between grandparents houses back when they were all alive.  It's always been a ghost town and I have every expectation the downgrade will function quite well, whatever actual form it takes.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.