News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobsini2

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 30, 2023, 10:18:01 PM
The list of selected projects for freight grants is out:  https://idot.illinois.gov/Assets/uploads/files/Transportation-System/Reports/OP&P/2023_Freight_Investment_Plan.pdf

There's an $8.75 million interchange project listed for I-57 at IL 50 on the second page.
95 mil for I-57 & Route 17 in Kankakee? I know they are widening 57 in that area but that seems a bit much.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

kphoger

Quote from: Hobart on March 31, 2023, 02:24:43 PM

There's an $8.75 million interchange project listed for I-57 at IL 50 on the second page.

Thank god! I used to get off at the cloverleaf at 167th Street (and Cicero Avenue, by extension) every day on the way home from work, and the left turn lane to southbound Cicero Avenue (Illinois 50) is so short that the volume of left turning cars would regularly block one of the travel lanes. Here's hoping they widen that.

I was thoroughly confused for a second.  I was thinking, Salem is nowhere near Markham, so what is he talking about?.  Then I realized I was thinking of I-57 at US-50 instead...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

pianocello

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2023, 02:44:57 PM

Thank god! I used to get off at the cloverleaf at 167th Street (and Cicero Avenue, by extension) every day on the way home from work, and the left turn lane to southbound Cicero Avenue (Illinois 50) is so short that the volume of left turning cars would regularly block one of the travel lanes. Here's hoping they widen that.

I was thoroughly confused for a second.  I was thinking, Salem is nowhere near Markham, so what is he talking about?.  Then I realized I was thinking of I-57 at US-50 instead...

You were both confusing me for a bit there. I feel like this is actually referring to the I-57/IL 50 interchange in the Bradley/Bourbonnais/Kankakee area, right? It would line up with the I-57/IL 17 interchange in the next line item.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

kphoger

Ha!  Yeah, I'm sure you're correct.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rick Powell

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 31, 2023, 02:36:05 PM
95 mil for I-57 & Route 17 in Kankakee? I know they are widening 57 in that area but that seems a bit much.
It's a SPUI interchange where they are building it for a future 3 lanes in each direction, a lane shift on the mainline that goes for several thousand feet each way, and a substantial mainline bridge over IL 17 that is part of the interchange. IDOT has some design engineering for it in their current program with project limits "0.2 miles south of Waldron Road to 0.5 miles north of IL 17 in Kankakee" which is about 1 1/2 miles, plus however far back the construction goes on IL 17.

Hobart

Quote from: pianocello on March 31, 2023, 05:05:36 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2023, 02:44:57 PM

You were both confusing me for a bit there. I feel like this is actually referring to the I-57/IL 50 interchange in the Bradley/Bourbonnais/Kankakee area, right? It would line up with the I-57/IL 17 interchange in the next line item.

Shucks, you're right!

I wonder what's wrong with it... they reconstructed it like ten years ago. Maybe they'll get rid of all of the signs down there with the capital to lowercase letter sizing issues.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

paulthemapguy

A couple notes from recent developments around Will County:

1. The Houbolt-Laraway bridge has opened.  It's mainly for truck traffic, but passenger cars can use it too.  Tolls are implemented, and the payment varies based on the size of your car. I'll probably try it out, but the toll will prevent me from using the bridge habitually.  The construction of the DDI interchange at I-80 and Houbolt Road (exit 127) will continue, probably into next year.

2. Another DDI is being constructed just a couple miles away from that, at I-55 and IL-59.  That's been brought up before, and work on this interchange continues.  I just think it's wild that two DDI's are being built within a couple miles of each other.

3. The repave of I-55 continues between I-80 and Weber Road (exit 263).  Because of delays stemming from the material producers' strike last spring, only the northbound* lanes were repaved last year. The southbound* portion of the project was pushed to this spring.  It looks like most of the mainline milling was completed, and we have a rough grooved surface going south* along I-55 from I-80 to Weber.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

ET21

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 01, 2023, 09:23:52 AM
A couple notes from recent developments around Will County:

1. The Houbolt-Laraway bridge has opened.  It's mainly for truck traffic, but passenger cars can use it too.  Tolls are implemented, and the payment varies based on the size of your car. I'll probably try it out, but the toll will prevent me from using the bridge habitually.  The construction of the DDI interchange at I-80 and Houbolt Road (exit 127) will continue, probably into next year.

2. Another DDI is being constructed just a couple miles away from that, at I-55 and IL-59.  That's been brought up before, and work on this interchange continues.  I just think it's wild that two DDI's are being built within a couple miles of each other.

3. The repave of I-55 continues between I-80 and Weber Road (exit 263).  Because of delays stemming from the material producers' strike last spring, only the southbound lanes were repaved last year. The northbound portion of the project was pushed to this spring.  It looks like most of the mainline milling was completed, and we have a rough grooved surface going north along I-55 from I-80 to Weber.

NB 55 was done last year, SB 55 is this year and man is it desperately needed.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

NWI_Irish96

https://www.nbcchicago.com/traffic/blowing-dust-warning-issued-in-illinois-after-dust-storm-causes-large-i-55-crash/3131258/

Strong dust storm has caused fatal crashes in Illinois of all places.

It's a perfect storm (pun intended) of dry weather, very strong winds at almost a perfect 90 degree angle to I-55, and the time of year that many farmers are plowing fields.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ilpt4u

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on May 01, 2023, 04:23:08 PM
https://www.nbcchicago.com/traffic/blowing-dust-warning-issued-in-illinois-after-dust-storm-causes-large-i-55-crash/3131258/

It's a perfect storm (pun intended) of dry weather, very strong winds at almost a perfect 90 degree angle to I-55, and the time of year that many farmers are plowing fields.
Just south of Springfield. That segment is a very flat and open 6 lane highway, typically fairly high speed and typically safe at such due to design and typically great visibility - obviously not with the high winds

I am anxious to see the full cause report from ISP. Was it just dust from plowed/planted fields? Other factors into the reduced visibility?

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 01, 2023, 10:33:25 PM

Just south of Springfield. That segment is a very flat and open 6 lane highway, typically fairly high speed and typically safe at such due to design and typically great visibility - obviously not with the high winds

I am anxious to see the full cause report from ISP. Was it just dust from plowed/planted fields? Other factors into the reduced visibility?

Planting season just started in south central Illinois, so the farmers are tilling right now, combined with heavy winds picked up the dirt.

The other factor is people driving too fast and too close to each other gives inadequate time to decide. While the trucks suffered the most, many cars saved themselves by bailing for the median or into the farmfields.

Brandon

I'd rather see a report from NTSB instead of ISP.  I don't exactly trust a non-neutral state police force with a vested interest in claiming "speed" as a factor to do a proper report.  I'd rather see root causes and actual solutions.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ilpt4u

Quote from: Brandon on May 02, 2023, 06:17:28 AM

I'd rather see a report from NTSB instead of ISP.  I don't exactly trust a non-neutral state police force with a vested interest in claiming "speed" as a factor to do a proper report.  I'd rather see root causes and actual solutions.
I can agree with that. Was NTSB even part of the response? I only mentioned the State Police since they are part of the onsite response team

Also looking a little more on Google, the area still shut down until Tuesday morning is where the 6 lane south of Springfield ends and 4 lane I-55 resumes

edwaleni

More updates from the scene as of last night.

ISP is still saying it will be later this afternoon before the route will reopen.  Clearing the road was hampered by the same dust which caused the wreck.

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/illinois/crash-i55-farmersville-montgomery-county-illinois/63-0ccb666b-d840-4463-a455-7afea875a961

The regional office for the NWS (National Weather Service) was getting lit up yesterday for not putting out a high wind alert in central Illinois.

According to the NWS, sustained winds have to be 45mph before they will put out an alert.  Sustained winds were only about 40-43 mph, just below the threshold.

I remember something similar happened in the early 1980's when southern Illinois had a nice fall weekend and everyone burned their leaves.

The south winds blew that smoke north and the more people burned, the more dense it got.

I-70 from St Louis to Terre Haute and I-57 up to Kankakee were shrouded in smoke and caused several wrecks and backups.

JREwing78

This is basically every time there's a snow squall. Same exact idiotic behavior of driving at (or over) the speed limit no matter the conditions, and catastrophe striking when these folks blindly crash into each other. It's one reason I tend to stay off the Interstate in heavy snow conditions.

Obviously, traction wasn't an issue in this situation, but the same issue of driving too-fast-for-conditions is. I don't know how to get people to stop being lemmings on the highway other than yanking their licenses and forcing them to retake Drivers Ed to get their licenses back.

edwaleni

Quote from: JREwing78 on May 02, 2023, 01:40:17 PM
This is basically every time there's a snow squall. Same exact idiotic behavior of driving at (or over) the speed limit no matter the conditions, and catastrophe striking when these folks blindly crash into each other. It's one reason I tend to stay off the Interstate in heavy snow conditions.

Obviously, traction wasn't an issue in this situation, but the same issue of driving too-fast-for-conditions is. I don't know how to get people to stop being lemmings on the highway other than yanking their licenses and forcing them to retake Drivers Ed to get their licenses back.

2 years ago a snow squall south of Bloomington on I-55 caused a 12 truck wreck at McLean. Other than improving driver awareness, these things happen faster than than authorities can warn the drivers.

As for modern driver behavior on modern interstates, especially 2 lane ones that are moderately busy, well, you could devote an entire thread just to the subject.

edwaleni

IDOT just closed I-55 again. All traffic being pushed off at Divernon.

AWS announced a Dust Storm Warning across central Illinois.

Just happening: Closed from Auburn-Pawnee all the way down to Raymond. Another crash event.

US20IL64

"Another DDI is being constructed just a couple miles away from that, at I-55 and IL-59."

Is IL 59 being extended southward? If so how far? On a map looks like not too much distance until I-80.

edwaleni

Quote from: US20IL64 on May 07, 2023, 01:50:31 PM
"Another DDI is being constructed just a couple miles away from that, at I-55 and IL-59."

Is IL 59 being extended southward? If so how far? On a map looks like not too much distance until I-80.

Several years ago the non-return exit of IL-59 and I-55 was moved south about a quarter mile.  Now its being converted.

North I-55 could exit to north IL-59 and south IL-59 could only exit to south IL-55. You can see a remnant of where the old exit was where the East Frontage Road takes a swerve to the east.

hobsini2

I seem to recall the reason for the DDI at 55 & 59 was for a planned development east of 55.
http://www.i55atil59accessproject.org/interchange.html
Add into the fact that there are a few industries west of the interchange south of Seil Rd.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

US20IL64

Thanks for the link.
Remember when the old 59 bridge was still kind of new in late 60's, had character, but was outdated of course.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 08, 2023, 09:06:50 PM
I seem to recall the reason for the DDI at 55 & 59 was for a planned development east of 55.
http://www.i55atil59accessproject.org/interchange.html
Add into the fact that there are a few industries west of the interchange south of Seil Rd.

Wow. Thanks for that link. I didn't realize this set of projects also included:

• Widening of US52 at I-55, including the bridge over the Interstate and enhancement of turn lanes (I know this is already under construction, but I didn't know it was part of the same project.)
  • Reconfiguration and replacement of the Seil Road river crossing, including two new roundabouts
  • Reconstruction of the intersection of US52 and Houbolt Road, including dual westbound left turn lanes and lots more turn lanes for northbound
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: edwaleni on May 07, 2023, 11:03:52 PM

Several years ago the non-return exit of IL-59 and I-55 was moved south about a quarter mile.  Now its being converted.

It's curious that they're redoing it so soon after redoing it. Also, and I guess it's mostly aesthetic, that eastern side looks weird.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

US20IL64

Took me awhile to figure out the flow. DDI, but a bit different than IL 59 and I-88.

When I read 'extension' was thinking 59 was going to go east into Joliet or to I-80 & Houbolt Rd.

JoePCool14

Good thing they aren't extending it too far. I drove the whole thing almost in one go, from I-55 all the way to I-90. I don't want to ruin my almost-clinch!

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.