What interchange or road type have you never experienced?

Started by Plutonic Panda, February 07, 2018, 11:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

Keep it realistic. It's understandable if someone has never been on a 100 lane freeway as those don't exist. But has anyone here never been on a 10 lane or even an 8 lane freeway? I've been on the supposedly widest in the world in Houston.

Here are the road and interchange types I've never been through:

*super two lane freeway
*ice road(like the real ice roads not just roads with ice on them)
*DDI
*elevated roundabout
*roundabout with bicycle lanes
*j turn
*just drove my first HOT lane a couple years ago

Beltway

Floating bridge as in the Seattle area.

Ice road such as over Lake Ladoga, USSR in WWII.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

mrcmc888

Jersey Left
Michigan Left
Super-two freeway
Any New York State Parkway
Eight-way intersection
Three-lane roundabout (my city recently had a two-lane one installed)

jp the roadgeek

Ice road
DDI
Floating bridge
Logging road
HOT lane
Driving (though I've been a passenger) on the left side of the road.
Never driven a Michigan Left, though I did experience one in Louisiana a few years ago.

Any road with a speed limit over 70.  Only 70 zone I've experienced is I-81 in WV, but I've driven sections of I-70 in MD, and sections of the PATP and Northeast Extension that are currently 70 before the increase.
Farm to Market road

I'll probably think of more later

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Max Rockatansky

US 89

I have driven through CFIs and ThrU-turns, but never actually made the left turn movement at either.

wxfree

I copied everything above I've never been on, and I have one contribution of my own:

ice road
DDI
elevated roundabout
roundabout with bicycle lanes
Jersey Left
Michigan Left
Eight-way intersection
Floating bridge
Driving on the left side of the road. (I have seen an American two-way left-side drive road, a U-turn overpass, but I didn't drive on it: https://goo.gl/maps/969t3ecw2tt)
A road without a speed limit. 

I've also never been in a road tunnel.  I've been meaning to take a detour through the Addison Airport Toll Tunnel sometime, but I don't go that way very often and have never thought of it when did.  I've never been to Rio Grande Village, but I plan to go the next time I go to the Big Bend and there's a tunnel on that road.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Hurricane Rex

Express lanes or anything over 10 lanes freeway wise and an adjusted list from the following list

Quote from: wxfree on February 08, 2018, 12:46:36 AM
ice road
DDI
elevated roundabout
Jersey Left
Michigan Left
Eight-way intersection
Driving on the left side of the road.
A road without a speed limit. 

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

GaryV

CNGL-Leudimin

Interstate
Road with MUTCD signage (as opposed to Vienna signage)
Road with yellow markings outside of a construction zone
And basically anything in the USA.

Also most of the above, except I have already experienced a roundabout with three lanes, a roundabout with bicycle lanes (I even cycled through one once), an elevated roundabout, and a road with a speed limit over 70 (duh, freeways in Spain have a default speed limit of 75).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

mgk920

Me?

I've never used:

- DDI (this one will be changing in the near future, as one will soon be under construction here in Appleton, WI)
- Elevated roundabout
- Pubic road with no posted or enforced speed limit
- Driving on the 'opposite' side of a regular two-way road
- 'Vienna' signed road

Mike

roadman

Ice road
Floating bridge
DDI
Road with no posted or enforced speed limit
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

webny99

For me personally; floating bridges, and roads with no speed limits.

I have experienced this DDI on a somewhat regular basis.
I have also driven on the wrong side of the road - somewhere in Montreal (on a freeway) although I cannot pinpoint the exact location.

bzakharin

I've never driven on a dirt road, so all that exotic stuff is not even a consideration. Also, since no one mentioned it, a ferry.

jwolfer

Quote from: bzakharin on February 08, 2018, 05:36:35 PM
I've never driven on a dirt road, so all that exotic stuff is not even a consideration. Also, since no one mentioned it, a ferry.
You could do a day trip on the Cape May-Lewes ferry.. not to far from you.. Pine Barrens has some good dirt roads that any car could handle.. provided you don't drive a low rider

Z981

Plutonic Panda

To add:

Haven't been on

Unlimited  speed limit road

Ferry

Floating bridge

Is there a name for the kind of spiral bridge that Boston has? I think China has one too. I'm sure there are others out there, but I don't know about them. I haven't been on one of those.

I haven't driven on the opposite side of the road

I don't know enough about the types of left turn movements so I'll mention the only ones I have driven: flashing arrow, intersection with 3 left turn lanes, protected left, and solid arrow.

Highest number stacked interchange I've driven is a 5 stack.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever been through a deep underwater tunnel. I did drive through a tunnel on I-10 through Mobile but I'm not sure if it is a deep underwater tunnel.

10 lane road(do they have those?)

HOV only Freeway.

Jardine

One thing I've never driven on I'd really like to is a double deck suspension bridge, like Geo Washington, Verrazano or SF Oakland Bay Bridge.

webny99

I've been on the GW Bridge, but never the bottom (which is the only part that feels different than a normal bridge).

I have done the SF Bay Bridge, four times total, twice on each level.

I can't imagine never having been on a ferry. I've done it more times than I can count.

ftballfan

Ice road
Floating bridge
Elevated roundabout
HOT lanes
Electronically tolled roads
Double deck suspension bridge
Unlimited speed limit road
Any stack with more than 4 levels

Possibly Super-2 (depends on how M-231 is classified)

paulthemapguy

I just learned about an ice bridge at Tsiigetchic along NT-8 in Canada's Northwest Territories, over the Mackenzie River.  I need to try something like this.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Jardine

I have driven through a 'low water crossing' a few times.  It's less fun than you might suppose, a considerable amount of algae is involved . . . .

:-(

wxfree

Reading further down, I realized another one.  I've never driven on a ticket-system toll road.

webny99

Quote from: wxfree on February 10, 2018, 02:23:50 PM
Reading further down, I realized another one.  I've never driven on a ticket-system toll road.

:wow: I've used the NYS Thruway, Mass Tpk, Ohio Tpk, Indiana Toll Road, countless times (only used an actual ticket once or twice), but still, just wow.

Come to think of it, are there any ticket systems west of the Mississippi?

wxfree

Quote from: webny99 on February 10, 2018, 02:48:30 PM

:wow: I've used the NYS Thruway, Mass Tpk, Ohio Tpk, Indiana Toll Road, countless times (only used an actual ticket once or twice), but still, just wow.

Come to think of it, are there any ticket systems west of the Mississippi?

I think the Kansas Turnpike uses tickets.  They now accept TxTag, so I wouldn't have to use tickets (although I might, just for the experience) if I went that way.

CNGL-Leudimin

While I have technically driven on a closed system toll road, I've never taken a ticket with me. That's because the first exit on that road (a freeway, actually, with "free" as in "free-flowing) somehow is before the toll plaza. The only time I paid a toll myself was on an open system toll road.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.