News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

congestion ranking: INRIX vs TomTom

Started by Chris, February 09, 2018, 08:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

INRIX released its Global Congestion Ranking. It is based on annual hours of congestion per driver.

http://inrix.com/press-releases/scorecard-2017/

Meanwhile TomTom has not yet released its 2017 Traffic Index, so I'll use the 2016 version. Their ranking is based on delay (travel time index, free-flow vs congested speed).

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/trafficindex/list?citySize=LARGE&continent=ALL&country=ALL

The differences between the two methodologies are HUGE.

At INRIX, Los Angeles is the world's most congested city. At TomTom, it ranks 12th. Similarly, at INRIX, Atlanta ranks 10th, at TomTom, it ranks 104th.

Also, the INRIX list has U.S. cities accounting for 10 of the 25 world's most congested cities. At TomTom, only 1 U.S. city is listed in the top 25, only 3 in the top 50 and 10 in the top 100.

The INRIX scorecard also has some weird Russian cities, with several small-size Siberian cities in the top 25. Is 'Aerodromnyy' even a city? Wikipedia doesn't have an article on that place. It sounds like the Russian term for 'Airport'.

formulanone

Baton Rouge's traffic woes are up there with the largest cities in the world. (67th on INRIX and 106th on TomTom.)

Interstate 69 Fan

I don't even use any of those - Google Maps is my main source of finding congestion.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Eth

Quote from: Chris on February 09, 2018, 08:23:46 AM
The INRIX scorecard also has some weird Russian cities, with several small-size Siberian cities in the top 25. Is 'Aerodromnyy' even a city? Wikipedia doesn't have an article on that place. It sounds like the Russian term for 'Airport'.

I searched for that on Google Maps; the best it seemed to come up with was a bus station in Nizhny Novgorod.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.