News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roads that cross the continental divide multiple times

Started by Duke87, March 17, 2018, 11:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

I-15 is the only north-south interstate that crosses the continental divide - but if that doesn't make it special enough, it actually crosses it three times: once at the ID/MT state line, an then twice more on the north and south sides of Butte (which is in a pocket west of the divide).

Even more obscurely, US 40 crosses the continental divide three times: once at Berthoud Pass, but then also twice again in rapid succession on either side of the junction with CO 14 - which is right near the headwaters of the North Platte River and therefore east of the divide. Somewhat awkwardly though, only one of these latter two crossings, at Rabbit Ears Pass, is signed. The other is right about here.

Any other examples?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

dfilpus

The continuation of US 89/191/287 through Yellowstone National Park crosses the divide three times: once on the South Entrance Road south of Grant Village and twice on the Loop Road between West Thumb and Old Faithful.

US 287 also crosses the divide east of Moran WY. It also crossed the Great Divide Basin where the divide splits. This makes six crossings total.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Duke87 on March 17, 2018, 11:55:13 AM
Somewhat awkwardly though, only one of these latter two crossings, at Rabbit Ears Pass, is signed. The other is right about here.

It's marked right at the junction itself.

Edit: Or at least was. The sign is gone in the 2015 images.

US 89

I-80 and US 30 cross it twice, as they cross the Great Divide Basin. WY 789 passes through the Basin two separate times, so it crosses the divide four times total.

If US 20 were treated as if it continued through Yellowstone, it would cross the divide three times: once at Targhee Pass on the ID/MT border, and twice on the Grand Loop Road.

hbelkins

I'd like to see a map that shows how many times I-81 crosses the ECD between Christiansburg and Salem. I've been told the ECD wanders all over the place around there and I-81 crosses it several times. Closest I could probably come is the Virginia DeLorme, which used to show the Tennessee Valley Divide, which in that area would be the ECD.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on March 17, 2018, 08:11:07 PM
I'd like to see a map that shows how many times I-81 crosses the ECD between Christiansburg and Salem. I've been told the ECD wanders all over the place around there and I-81 crosses it several times. Closest I could probably come is the Virginia DeLorme, which used to show the Tennessee Valley Divide, which in that area would be the ECD.

It appears I-81 crosses the ECD just once, at the interchange with US 460 in Christiansburg.  Everything east of here is definitely flowing into the S. Roanoke River.

The ECD definitely goes through the Town of Blacksburg...

OTOH, I-85 crosses it 5 times in Georgia...

MikeTheActuary

If I'm not mistaken, the Dempster Highway crosses thrice.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.