News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 06, 2020, 08:48:54 PM
Quote from: stridentweasel on September 06, 2020, 09:46:17 AM
Quote from: famartin on September 06, 2020, 08:48:37 AM
Funny you mention that. In the last few weeks I've self-served myself a couple of times at busy stations when the attendant was elsewhere serving others. Maybe because of COVID, but the attendants seem to just shrug it off. My out-of-state plates may also be a factor in that...

If you aren't allowed to self-serve, then why aren't the pumps locked, so attendants have to scan a card to unlock them?

Not blaming you for finding a loophole.  Just saying, if it's such a big deal, why not have an easy mechanism for it?

I've seen these locking mechanisms at Hess/Speedway, and at BJ's gas.

(Note...in NJ you don't need a membership to get gas at a warehouse club. At Sams Club, they don't require any sort of card to activate the pumps. At BJs, the attendant has an employee card to turn the pump on).

Why isn't it dont more widespread? Probably because the penalty is so minor or non-existant for serving yourself, it's not worth it. The penalty actually goes against the gas ststion, not the customer. And a lock only prevents someone from starting the pump. I can still go out and take the nozzle out, put the cap on, and get my receipt.

Several BP stations I used to frequent had cards that the employees swiped in the card reader to activate the pump before they could swipe your CC. Not a ton of places really do it though.

Rothman

I encountered a locked-down gas station in Oregon.  It required employees to enter in a code to free the pump for use.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

J Route Z

The Turnpike Authority has removed American flags honoring 9/11 victims from various overpasses owned by the agency. This has resulted in a protest near the authority headquarters. The flags have been in place since 9/11.

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/news/local/middlesex-county/2020/09/07/rally-held-woodbridge-after-flags-removed-turnpike-bridge/5738829002/

storm2k

Quote from: J Route Z on September 08, 2020, 12:20:36 AM
The Turnpike Authority has removed American flags honoring 9/11 victims from various overpasses owned by the agency. This has resulted in a protest near the authority headquarters. The flags have been in place since 9/11.

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/news/local/middlesex-county/2020/09/07/rally-held-woodbridge-after-flags-removed-turnpike-bridge/5738829002/

Not really sure why the NJTA didn't leave well enough alone on that, unless there was an instance of a flag they felt was at risk of coming detached and flying down onto the roadway. Or why they could not come up with some sort of compromise on this. Maybe some sort of display at one of the service areas that are right in that area on both sides of the road. Also, one of the protesters quoted in the article cited the wrong organization (NJTPA).

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on September 08, 2020, 07:55:01 AM

Not really sure why the NJTA didn't leave well enough alone on that, unless there was an instance of a flag they felt was at risk of coming detached and flying down onto the roadway. Or why they could not come up with some sort of compromise on this. Maybe some sort of display at one of the service areas that are right in that area on both sides of the road. Also, one of the protesters quoted in the article cited the wrong organization (NJTPA).
"The long-standing policy of the New Jersey Turnpike Authority has been to prohibit the display of any flags, signs or banners by private parties on Turnpike Authority property. While we appreciate the desire of some New Jersey residents to express their patriotism in these turbulent times by displaying flags on turnpike and parkway overpasses, Turnpike Authority regulations do not allow it."

That statement is true.

Mr. Matté

Biking over the Turnpike bridge on CR 526 on Saturday, I saw that the NJTA put up a sign on that bridge that attaching anything to the bridge fencing is prohibited and citing the NJSA statute. That bridge used to only have a pair of US flags on the fence itself (not on poles above the top rail like the one in Woodbridge).

In the least surprising news of the year, the police broke the law but it's now moot because Murphy bought into the pressure.

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on September 08, 2020, 06:22:55 PM

"The long-standing policy of the New Jersey Turnpike Authority has been to prohibit the display of any flags, signs or banners by private parties on Turnpike Authority property. While we appreciate the desire of some New Jersey residents to express their patriotism in these turbulent times by displaying flags on turnpike and parkway overpasses, Turnpike Authority regulations do not allow it."

That statement is true.

Nineteen years later seems an odd time to decide to enforce that.

SteveG1988

Quote from: storm2k on September 08, 2020, 08:39:02 PM

That statement is true.

Not really. They know what can happen in the lead up to a divisive election. Better to just remove them before someone gets a bug up their butt about how their candidate flag should be allowed
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

famartin

Quote from: SteveG1988 on September 08, 2020, 09:20:06 PM

That statement is true.

Not really. They know what can happen in the lead up to a divisive election. Better to just remove them before someone gets a bug up their butt about how their candidate flag should be allowed

Well, what about the 4 presidential elections, 4 gubernatorial elections, 9 congressional elections and countless local elections since 2001? Why "now" ? It seems like whomever decided that really wasn't thinking about how it would look to the public...

Mr. Matté

It only started happening now because someone put up the defaced American flag with the blue line through it on the Woodbridge bridge. I do remember seeing someone had put up a Trump sign on a Turnpike bridge in 2016 (though just a lawn sign with the prongs weaved through the fencing).

SteveG1988

Quote from: famartin on September 09, 2020, 12:35:26 AM

That statement is true.

Well, what about the 4 presidential elections, 4 gubernatorial elections, 9 congressional elections and countless local elections since 2001? Why "now" ? It seems like whomever decided that really wasn't thinking about how it would look to the public...

Because Trump Supporters are the most vocal of the past 19 years. They are the ones who hold boat parades, biker parades, parades of all sort to show their support. And nipping this one in the bud is a good thing.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Ketchup99

Quote from: SteveG1988 on September 09, 2020, 01:51:33 PM

That statement is true.

Because Trump Supporters are the most vocal of the past 19 years. They are the ones who hold boat parades, biker parades, parades of all sort to show their support. And nipping this one in the bud is a good thing.
Nobody had Bush flags, Kerry flags, McCain flags, Hillary flags... this is a new phenomenon. This will be a more divisive election than any of the past four.

SteveG1988

Quote from: Ketchup99 on September 09, 2020, 03:22:29 PM

That statement is true.

Nobody had Bush flags, Kerry flags, McCain flags, Hillary flags... this is a new phenomenon. This will be a more divisive election than any of the past four.

Yup, but "mah freedom of speech" will be a thing brought up if they don't ban ALL flags equally.
Roads Clinched

PHLBOS

That statement is true.

As previously mentioned, those American flags have been there long before Trump was President. 

Given that the 19th anniversary of the 9/11/01 attacks is just around the corner (tomorrow); I would recommend waiting until either next week or the week after to take the flags down.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

dgolub

Quote from: SteveG1988 on September 09, 2020, 03:48:38 PM
Yup, but "mah freedom of speech" will be a thing brought up if they don't ban ALL flags equally.

That's right.  It needs to be viewpoint-neutral in order to be constitutional.

mariethefoxy

Since when does Exit 19W (used to be marked Sports Complex and was only open during games but now its open to all) to the Meadowlands/Xanadu area have a toll? I went there today and the signs now had big EZPass Only banners on top of the sign and a small sign read Cars $1.95, Others $3.00

That used to be my free shortcut to Route 3 to Lyndhurst, I guess the Turnpike authority with their budget issues decided to end that freebie. At least the one from NJ 3 East to the North (Eastern Spur) Turnpike is still free.

NJRoadfan

Exit 17 on-ramp is technically a one-way toll. They added the toll at the Meadowlands exit when they converted it to full time Exit 19W for the mall which everyone is blaming the pandemic on.

mariethefoxy

I distinctly remember that exit being free for a time between it was marked as just Sports Complex and it being called Exit 19W, it had the EzPass gantries but it didnt charge you.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mariethefoxy on September 22, 2020, 09:51:54 PM
I distinctly remember that exit being free for a time between it was marked as just Sports Complex and it being called Exit 19W, it had the EzPass gantries but it didnt charge you.

Yep - it was free but open on a limited basis. With more going on in the area, they made it a full time interchange, and with that, they're charging.

This decision was made years ago, and has nothing to do with the pandemic, nor does it have anything to do with 'budget issues'.  In fact, the Turnpike was bringing in more money than expected when the decision to toll this interchange was made.

Alps

Basically, for years it was only open for sporting events and closed otherwise. With American Dream, they decided that they would open it full time, but as a consequence tolls would be charged. Using it for free til now, consider that a grace period.

mariethefoxy

On those rotating drum signs on the Turnpike north leading into the 80-95 interchange

What are the other readings on those? and have they ever displayed anything else besides the control cities for 80 and 95?

Alps

Quote from: mariethefoxy on October 10, 2020, 06:22:55 PM
On those rotating drum signs on the Turnpike north leading into the 80-95 interchange

What are the other readings on those? and have they ever displayed anything else besides the control cities for 80 and 95?
Yup, if the road is closed they can display that.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mariethefoxy on October 10, 2020, 06:22:55 PM

The basic answer:  Yes, they do work, and will display other messages.  Right now I can't recall exactly what they say though, but the E side will say something like thru to New York, and the W side will say something like 15X & 16W only.  Yes, the road is generally still open thru 18W, and yes you can still get to I-80 & the GWB.  The Turnpike is simply trying to disperse traffic due to congestion, football games, etc.

mariethefoxy

im referring to the ones on the turnpike north, past the 18E/18W toll plaza and Vince Lombardi rest stop

one says 80 west hackensack patterson, the other one says 95 north george washington bridge fort lee

famartin

Quote from: mariethefoxy on October 11, 2020, 02:41:24 PM
im referring to the ones on the turnpike north, past the 18E/18W toll plaza and Vince Lombardi rest stop

one says 80 west hackensack patterson, the other one says 95 north george washington bridge fort lee

I think they can be flipped to say "closed" and "all traffic" as needed, but of course, likely only during emergencies or some kind of MAJOR construction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.