News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Interstate 369

Started by Grzrd, October 19, 2013, 10:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on September 23, 2013, 08:04:43 PM
Quote from: txstateends on September 21, 2013, 09:28:37 PM
why bother covering it, if it's half-undone before they even unveil the sign?
Maybe to hide the "TEXAS" on the shield, as revealed in this unveiled photo from this article:
(above quote from Texarkana (Future I-49, I-69 Spur) thread)
Quote from: Grzrd on July 21, 2012, 11:24:58 PM
This July 16 video report, in addition to having footage of "Future I-69 Corridor" signs, reports (as does this related print report), that the immediate focus regarding the Carthage part of the I-69 Spur (slightly north of where mainline I-69 will meet the I-69 Spur in Tenaha) is to try to get $15 million to complete the west loop around Carthage:
... the I-69 project through Panola County would cost about $35 million. But, for now, the focus is on trying to get about $15 million to complete the west loop around Carthage.
Even though it will take a long time to build the I-69 Spur, it is interesting to see media coverage of future segments outside of Texarkana.
(above quote from Texarkana (Future I-49, I-69 Spur) thread)

Since the I-369 shields are now up in Texarkana, I thought it would be a good time to start an I-369 thread for the occasional bits of information about I-369 outside of Texarkana. This article discusses Future I-369 in Carthage and other communities along the corridor:

More progress on Interstate 69 has been completed in the past two years than in the entire 20 years the project has been in the works, said Charles Thomas, executive director of the Carthage Improvement Corporation.
"I guess no one took us serious at first,"  Thomas said.
Thomas, along with County Judge David Anderson, are both members of the I-69 Segment One committee. Segment One includes all the counties in which Highway 59 traverses from Texarkana to Nacogdoches ....
the 115 mile segment of interstate that will connect I-69 in Teneha to I-30 in Texarkana will be built around Carthage and has been named I-369.
"The interstate could take the route of the east loop,"  Thomas said. "I don't think either side of the loop would require more studies, and the wide right-of-way wouldn't take too much space."

The interstate will split in Tenaha where Thomas said segments will go north to Texarkana and east to Logansport.
"We wanted I-69 to come up to Carthage and then go Highway 79 east, but Logansport had a congressman on the appropriation board,"  Thomas said.
Thomas said the interstate construction in Carthage should be smooth.
"Our four lane divided loop is basically an interstate without frontage roads,"  Thomas said. "They will either use the existing loop or build an outside loop. I think they will use the existing loop, there are a few driveways, but that's not hard to fix."
The entire loop is four lanes except for the Southwest segment from U.S. 59 to Highway 315.
"Panola County is so far ahead of most everyone else,"  Thomas said. "We voted bonds to buy the right-of-ways years ago, and now, only one section of the loop is two lanes, that can be fixed in a few years."

When construction of the interstate is completed, Thomas said Panola Countians will be able to access safer, faster and more convenient roads easier.
"I-69 will only be about 10 miles away,"  Thomas said. "Then we'll have the interstate coming through Carthage."  ....
"They haven't decided which way the interstate will go around Marshall,"  Thomas said. "People want it to go one way or another, but there is no way it can go through town."
Relief routes have been suggested for existing US Highway 59 through Garrison, Timpson and Tenaha that would widen and upgrade the road, but also include new alignment options around these communities where there is not enough right-of-way to expand the existing road.

Maybe the Carthage Loop will be the first I-369 segment outside of Texarkana.*

edit * However, the Segment One Committee officially listed the Marshall relief route and the Texarkana West Loop as higher priorities.  Two other priorities, (1) the US 59 relief route at Garrison, Timpson and Tenaha, and (2) the US 84 relief route at Tenaha and Joaquin, may involve the I-369/I-69 interchange near Tenaha (page 25/30 of pdf; page 19 of document):

The I-369 shields in Texarkana capped off the first accomplishment of a Segment One I-369-related priority.

Brandon

Got a really stupid question based on the map.  Why is I-369 needed when I-49 will do the exact same thing, not all that far away?  Is Shreveport really all that busy and congested?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

roadman65

Quote from: Brandon on October 20, 2013, 10:41:30 AM
Got a really stupid question based on the map.  Why is I-369 needed when I-49 will do the exact same thing, not all that far away?  Is Shreveport really all that busy and congested?
Probably the same reason why I-69E and I-69C are so close together in SE Texas.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Revive 755

Was there some routing change for I-369, or did I just have it pictured wrong?  I had thought it was to be more of a diagonal between Texarkana and I-69, but the map a couple posts up just has it going north-south and even cutting back to the east a bit where it will intersect I-69 - a lot less useful IMHO.

Grzrd

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 20, 2013, 02:11:23 PM
Was there some routing change for I-369, or did I just have it pictured wrong?  I had thought it was to be more of a diagonal between Texarkana and I-69, but the map a couple posts up just has it going north-south and even cutting back to the east a bit where it will intersect I-69 - a lot less useful IMHO.

You might be thinking of the map from this post:

Quote from: Grzrd on August 06, 2012, 06:18:58 PM
The I-69 Segment One Committee Report and Recommendations contains an interesting map which ... shows a direct "Committee Suggested I-69 Connecting Route" between Carthage and Nacogdoches as a "Truck Route" (instead of a Relief Route) ... (page 21/155 of pdf; page 15 of document):

If cost were of no concern, then the "Truck Route" would make a lot of sense.  However, if you look at the $4.58 billion cost estimate for Segment One (of which I-369 is a large part) in the map from the OP and compare it to the cost estimates for the other Segments, then it makes sense that they would characterize a new terrain connection from Nacogdoches to Carthage as a "Truck Route".

NE2

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 20, 2013, 02:11:23 PM
That's how US 59 currently goes, and is not really out of the way, being only 8 miles longer than the cutoff on SH 315-US 259 (which would be 45 miles of new freeway). Going via Shreveport, on the other hand, adds 20-30 miles, the same increase as the potential I-69 via Terre Haute that everyone bitched about.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

US71

IMO, 369 isn't needed (at least for now).

It's poorly signed (no overheads, even on I-30) and doesn't really add anything to the route.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 19, 2013, 10:41:06 AM
Maybe the Carthage Loop will be the first I-369 segment outside of Texarkana.*
edit * However, the Segment One Committee officially listed the Marshall relief route and the Texarkana West Loop as higher priorities ... (page 25/30 of pdf; page 19 of document)

TxDOT has posted The I-69 System (I-369) Harrison County/Marshall Route Study page that will essentially study whether to upgrade the existing US 59 through Marshall or to build a relief route, with the study anticipated to be completed in "late fall 2014":

The I-69 System (I-369) Harrison County/Marshall Route Study will, with substantial citizen and community participation, determine options for development of I-369 in the Marshall area, with the eventual goal of constructing, designating and signing US 59 as I-369.

The study includes two broad options for consideration:

Upgrade of existing US 59 through Marshall to an interstate highway (I-369), or
Construction of I-369/US 59 on a new location and conversion of existing US 59 through Marshall to Business 59.

Ultimately, this route study and the working group's efforts will result in the identification of an interstate route option that will then be studied in detail as part of the environmental process. The route study is anticipated to be completed in late fall 2014.

Henry

Quote from: US71 on November 18, 2013, 10:13:52 AM
IMO, 369 isn't needed (at least for now).

It's poorly signed (no overheads, even on I-30) and doesn't really add anything to the route.

We'll suspect that this will be the case until the Houston-Shreveport link is completed in the far-off future.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US71

I-369 at Carthage, TX would need a lot of upgrading: most of the intersections are at-grade (except at 59 North & South and 79 East (North) & West (south). There is a new Wal-Mart (approx 2 y/o) that directly connects to Loop 436 just before US 79.

codyg1985

Apologies for the bad photo (driving into the sun), but I-369 is now posted on the BGS's along I-30 in Texarkana, TX:

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 25, 2014, 07:02:49 AM
Apologies for the bad photo (driving into the sun), but I-369 is now posted on the BGS's along I-30 in Texarkana, TX:

Is this Eastbound? I know Westbound doesn't have a "TO 71" overhead...or didn't when I was down there last.

codyg1985

^ Yep, this is eastbound. I do wonder if I-49 would eventually be added to that BGS when it is eventually signed?
Cody Goodman

bassoon1986

It is interesting, though (I hate to sound nitpicky, because I AM glad to see a new sign), that US 71 is chosen with Shreveport. I think having Shreveport there is appropriate seeing that the I-49 connection is another 7-8 miles away on EB I-30 and this is the quickest route to Shreveport and points south. But you wouldn't take US 71 once you get to the southern part of the Texarkana loop, you would take AR 549. It's one of those cases where the state highway is the better and faster way to go than the US highway. Either way, the shield over Shreveport can be covered with "TO I-49" shield when that day comes.

US 41

I was totally unaware that they had come up with a number for this route and am very surprised to see that signs for this route are posted. Honestly when I clicked on this page I was thinking it was going to discuss I-369 in Kentucky and I was going to hear about the crazy Owensboro mayor.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

codyg1985

Quote from: US 41 on February 25, 2014, 07:57:30 PM
I was totally unaware that they had come up with a number for this route and am very surprised to see that signs for this route are posted. Honestly when I clicked on this page I was thinking it was going to discuss I-369 in Kentucky and I was going to hear about the crazy Owensboro mayor.

Texas moves fast with their 69 business.
Cody Goodman

english si

Quote from: Grzrd on August 06, 2012, 06:18:58 PM
Note how current I-369 won't be I-369 in the future, thanks to the loop around Texarkana.

If you are going to have it as an interstate, call it, and loop 151, an x30 or an x49, where x is even!

bugo

The entire Texarkana loop from I-30 in Texas to I-30 in Arkansas should be an even x30 (I-230 would work).  It should be duplexed with both I-49 in Arkansas and US 59 in Texas.  I-369 could either end at I-230 or there could be a 230/369/59 triplex between I-30 and the US 59 split.

At least Arkansas renumbered its segment of the bypass from I-49 to the state line to 151 to sort of match Texas' Loop 151.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: bugo on February 27, 2014, 10:53:59 PM
The entire Texarkana loop from I-30 in Texas to I-30 in Arkansas should be an even x30 (I-230 would work).  It should be duplexed with both I-49 in Arkansas and US 59 in Texas.  I-369 could either end at I-230 or there could be a 230/369/59 triplex between I-30 and the US 59 split.

At least Arkansas renumbered its segment of the bypass from I-49 to the state line to 151 to sort of match Texas' Loop 151.

Can't be done due to FHWA/AASHTO protocols. Best to make it an I-x30 between Future I-49 and I-30.

In fact, given that I-369 will probably have to be removed from that segment anyway if the West Texarkana Loop is built since a loop further out will probably have to be constructed to adequately hook it with I-49 north of Texarkana, it may be better to simply keep it as TX/AR 151 for the time being, and save the I-369 shields for later. I know...too late, right?

bugo

Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 28, 2014, 01:24:16 PM

Can't be done due to FHWA/AASHTO protocols. Best to make it an I-x30 between Future I-49 and I-30.

Why can't it be done?  I know of no FHWA/AASHTO rule that says that two interstates can't be duplexed.

If nothing else, make the entire loop AR/TX 151.  It wouldn't be perfect but it would be better than a loop having 5 different numbers.

NE2

I-840.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on February 28, 2014, 03:52:04 PM

I-840, dummy.
Multiplexed to Nashville?

NE2

Overlaps I-73 and I-785.

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on February 28, 2014, 07:19:38 PM
Overlaps I-73 and I-785.
Okay, so then the word "dummy" was uncalled for. Got it.
*admin hat* Please don't throw in epithets, however true or even funny you may believe them to be.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.