News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Clearview thread

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 03, 2009, 05:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you think is better: Highway Gothic or Clearview?

Highway Gothic
Clearview

ekt8750

Quote from: wolfiefrick on February 09, 2016, 12:57:42 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on February 08, 2016, 07:28:12 PM

Zeffy, what are the RGB values for the shade of green you use in your signs? I believe it looks quite sharp.

It looks more like its from the default CMYK palate of Illustrator.

Pink Jazz

Looking at the samples at Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_Gothic

Is it me or does it appear that Series E and F have a slightly thicker stroke than Series B, C, and D?  Series E(m) isn't shown in the samples.  Can anyone confirm if E and F really have a thicker stroke than B, C, and D?

wolfiefrick

Quote from: ekt8750 on February 09, 2016, 01:53:03 PM
It looks more like its from the default CMYK palate of Illustrator.
He uses Inkscape.

ekt8750

Quote from: Pink Jazz on February 09, 2016, 02:07:44 PM
Looking at the samples at Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_Gothic

Is it me or does it appear that Series E and F have a slightly thicker stroke than Series B, C, and D?  Series E(m) isn't shown in the samples.  Can anyone confirm if E and F really have a thicker stroke than B, C, and D?

B has a thicker stroke, C, D and E have regular strokes, Em and F have thicker strokes

Zeffy

Quote from: wolfiefrick on February 09, 2016, 12:57:42 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on February 08, 2016, 07:28:12 PM

Zeffy, what are the RGB values for the shade of green you use in your signs? I believe it looks quite sharp.

RGB values are 0, 150, 109. I have a slightly modified color palette I use for all my items now:

Green: 0, 150, 109
White: 247, 247, 247
Yellow: 255, 215, 0
Blue: 0, 78, 165
Black: 20, 20, 20
Red: 195, 33, 50
Brown: 140, 79, 39
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

cl94

As Clearview meets its demise, I found another municipality that uses it. Saratoga Springs, NY. There are A LOT of these.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

JoePCool14

I'm late to the party, but oh well.

I didn't really see this coming to be honest, but I didn't see them pushing Clearview any further. Either way, I'm glad to see it will start to go away. This is mostly for the sake of DOTs like IDOT and MDOT, who replaced the hell out of perfectly good signs, wasting a lot of money, and making signs less visually appealing. However, ISTHA was getting better using it but the damage still remains. The only area I could expect proper FHWA signs from them up by North Suburbs are on I-90 construction. And finally, for the states like Wisconsin who didn't use it, they are just proving they are still so much better by not following something that was not tested properly.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

hbelkins

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 15, 2016, 08:03:52 AM...something that was not tested properly.

The interim approval WAS the test.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadfro

Quote from: hbelkins on February 15, 2016, 03:51:59 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 15, 2016, 08:03:52 AM...something that was not tested properly.

The interim approval WAS the test.

You could view it that way, but it wasn't the "real" test.

Usually there is a study (or a number of studies) sanctioned by FHWA before a traffic control device makes it to the level of MUTCD interim approval. It has been argued that the original Clearview testing done prior to the interim approval was later found to be flawed.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

shadyjay

Are we looking at a combo Highway Gothic/Clearview sign here for Exit 35 on I-95 NB in CT?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.206206,-73.1039122,3a,27.8y,88.1h,93.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWcgNQ2stKRb56se9bK5HfA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The sign was recently (within the past year or so) modified... the lower half of the Exit 35 (left sign) used to just say "Bic Drive".  It's now overlayed with "Subway - Bic Drive" in a different font, though other signs further up have the more traditional highway gothic.  (For those that don't know, Subway world HQ is located just off Exit 35, and I believe Bic lighters is/was as well)

noelbotevera

Quote from: shadyjay on February 15, 2016, 05:59:08 PM
Are we looking at a combo Highway Gothic/Clearview sign here for Exit 35 on I-95 NB in CT?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.206206,-73.1039122,3a,27.8y,88.1h,93.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWcgNQ2stKRb56se9bK5HfA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The sign was recently (within the past year or so) modified... the lower half of the Exit 35 (left sign) used to just say "Bic Drive".  It's now overlayed with "Subway - Bic Drive" in a different font, though other signs further up have the more traditional highway gothic.  (For those that don't know, Subway world HQ is located just off Exit 35, and I believe Bic lighters is/was as well)
I'm not a font person, but I believe that's Series B Highway Gothic. Clearview would be noticeably different.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

SignGeek101

Quote from: noelbotevera on February 15, 2016, 06:03:39 PM

I'm not a font person, but I believe that's Series B Highway Gothic. Clearview would be noticeably different.

It's series D Highway Gothic. Same font, just different width. The road text (Scenic Drive) is in Series B here:

Whoop-Up Drive eastbound approaching Scenic Drive
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

JoePCool14

Who on earth thought that EXIT ONLY tab looked okay?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

SignGeek101

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 15, 2016, 07:45:11 PM
Who on earth thought that EXIT ONLY tab looked okay?

That whole sign is awful; from the Helvetica in the shields, to the incorrect shield (the 3 shield is the wrong shield), very small lettering 'TO' that probably can't be read from the average motorist, to the the compressed/stretched/messed up EXIT ONLY panel. I can't even tell if the EXIT ONLY is series C or D.

PHLBOS

Quote from: SignGeek101 on February 15, 2016, 06:07:33 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on February 15, 2016, 06:03:39 PM

It's series D Highway Gothic. Same font, just different width.
Looks like Georgia invaded Connecticut.  For a while, many of their BGS' sported Series D (or a variation of such) for control city/destination listings.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

peterj920

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 15, 2016, 08:03:52 AM

I didn't really see this coming to be honest, but I didn't see them pushing Clearview any further. Either way, I'm glad to see it will start to go away. This is mostly for the sake of DOTs like IDOT and MDOT, who replaced the hell out of perfectly good signs, wasting a lot of money, and making signs less visually appealing. However, ISTHA was getting better using it but the damage still remains. The only area I could expect proper FHWA signs from them up by North Suburbs are on I-90 construction. And finally, for the states like Wisconsin who didn't use it, they are just proving they are still so much better by not following something that was not tested properly.

Wisconsin tested it on a small scale along the Madison Beltline, but that was it.  Within a few years when new construction projects along the route were done, the highway gothic returned.  WISDOT didn't see a benefit to it before the Feds came to that conclusion.  Otherwise, the only BGS outside of Madison in clearview was Eau Claire, and they were obsessive with that font.  They even used it on city bus stop signs.

cpzilliacus

N.Y. Times op-ed: Easy-Reading Road Signs Head to the Offramp

QuoteSTARTING this week, a familiar face will begin to disappear from America's roadside signs. It's not particularly noticeable – certainly not as memorable as the goateed Colonel Sanders or smiling Big Boy or pigtailed Wendy pushing their fried chicken, hamburgers and French fries. Rather, it is a typeface named Clearview, which has graced many of our highway signs and directed us to our destinations since 2004, when it was granted interim approval by the Federal Highway Administration.

QuoteClearview was intended as a big step forward in legibility over the national standard alphabet typefaces that have long dominated highway signs. But late last month the highway agency quietly announced in the Federal Register that henceforth only older typefaces specified in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices may be used. The 30-day waiting period required after such announcements ended Wednesday.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cl94

Well, as of Wednesday, Clearview is dead in the United States. I'd write an obituary, but the Clearview I'm familiar with (NYSTA, PennDOT, ODOT) is so bad that I don't have anything good to say.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

MisterSG1

I know the MTO played around with Clearview a bit, such as on the Red Hill Valley Parkway exit sign in Hamilton, but the City of Toronto has seemed to fully adopt it on their roads. Practically every overhead BGS and BBS on the Gardiner uses clearview now, they put those clearview signs up around the time the Gardiner construction started, which I believe was April 2014. Needless to say, I wonder if the City of Toronto will conform and stop putting new Clearview signs up if a new sign is needed.

Interestingly, GO Transit and Metrolinx seem to be very fond of Clearview, as they practically use it everywhere now on the GO system, here are some examples in Union Station since the York Concourse opened:

And now we have a real awful one below...

What is a BaySt, is that some sort of concert venue, I've never heard of a BaySt before.  :D

Even the GO Train diagram, such as this one in any GO Train coach is in clearview:

As an aside....anyone who knows Toronto knows how awfully inaccurate this diagram is, then again it's supposed to show the lines rather than be geographically correct. This diagram would lead us to believe that Bloor St and York University are at the same distance north from downtown.  :D Not to mention Oriole station, which is at Leslie and the 401 is south of Bloor and York University stations.

Lastly, something road related, I took this last pic while on the subway this week, showing a view of the NB Allen at the Hwy 401 exit, it looks really nice in my opinion and shows how much better Clearview is in my opinion:

cl94

MTO had a few signs in Southern Ontario and many have been replaced. There were a few signs on 406 that are now gone as well as the aforementioned signs on the QEW.

I don't expect Toronto to stop installing Clearview. Many parts of Canada have adopted Clearview as the official font and I don't expect a FHWA ruling in the US to change that.

J N Winkler

Henry Petroski's Clearview obituary in the New York Times (part of which C.P. posted above) fits in the media pattern already established by CityLab of failing to describe what went wrong with the implementation of Clearview.  I am tempted to write a think piece to try to present a full and honest account of the view from the trenches.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Brandon

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 26, 2016, 12:29:53 PM
Henry Petroski's Clearview obituary in the New York Times (part of which C.P. posted above) fits in the media pattern already established by CityLab of failing to describe what went wrong with the implementation of Clearview.  I am tempted to write a think piece to try to present a full and honest account of the view from the trenches.

Please do.  I'm sick of these op-eds that mourn Clearview while failing to understand its shortcomings, and how it was initially marketed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

formulanone

Quote from: Brandon on February 26, 2016, 01:02:39 PM

Please do.  I'm sick of these op-eds that mourn Clearview while failing to understand its shortcomings, and how it was initially marketed.

"Looking at text one foot from my face proves Clearview is better." - New York Times

JMAN_WiS&S

Quote from: peterj920 on February 17, 2016, 04:59:45 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 15, 2016, 08:03:52 AM

Wisconsin tested it on a small scale along the Madison Beltline, but that was it.  Within a few years when new construction projects along the route were done, the highway gothic returned.  WISDOT didn't see a benefit to it before the Feds came to that conclusion.  Otherwise, the only BGS outside of Madison in clearview was Eau Claire, and they were obsessive with that font.  They even used it on city bus stop signs.
That's interesting! I live in Eau Claire and I didn't even notice that. Granted, I've never really seen much clearview so I don't notice the difference without looking online.
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

machias

Quote from: formulanone on February 26, 2016, 02:55:43 PM
Quote from: Brandon on February 26, 2016, 01:02:39 PM

"Looking at text one foot from my face proves Clearview is better." - New York Times

It's part of the American societal thinking that anything new and different is much better than anything that is considered old, outdated and established. Change for the sake of change can never be wrong, right?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.