News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

The Clearview thread

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 03, 2009, 05:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you think is better: Highway Gothic or Clearview?

Highway Gothic
Clearview

jakeroot

Quote from: upstatenyroads on February 26, 2016, 03:39:16 PM
Quote from: formulanone on February 26, 2016, 02:55:43 PM
Quote from: Brandon on February 26, 2016, 01:02:39 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on February 26, 2016, 12:29:53 PM
Henry Petroski's Clearview obituary in the New York Times (part of which C.P. posted above) fits in the media pattern already established by CityLab of failing to describe what went wrong with the implementation of Clearview.  I am tempted to write a think piece to try to present a full and honest account of the view from the trenches.

Please do.  I'm sick of these op-eds that mourn Clearview while failing to understand its shortcomings, and how it was initially marketed.

"Looking at text one foot from my face proves Clearview is better." - New York Times

It's part of the American societal thinking that anything new and different is much better than anything that is considered old, outdated and established. Change for the sake of change can never be wrong, right?

Dropping millions of dollars into something is enough to convince most people that the new product is better than the old product. I'm still not entirely convinced that the Clearview research was a total loss.

cl94

Quote from: jakeroot on February 26, 2016, 03:58:27 PM
Quote from: formulanone on February 26, 2016, 02:55:43 PM
Quote from: Brandon on February 26, 2016, 01:02:39 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on February 26, 2016, 12:29:53 PM
Henry Petroski's Clearview obituary in the New York Times (part of which C.P. posted above) fits in the media pattern already established by CityLab of failing to describe what went wrong with the implementation of Clearview.  I am tempted to write a think piece to try to present a full and honest account of the view from the trenches.

Please do.  I'm sick of these op-eds that mourn Clearview while failing to understand its shortcomings, and how it was initially marketed.

"Looking at text one foot from my face proves Clearview is better." - New York Times

It's part of the American societal thinking that anything new and different is much better than anything that is considered old, outdated and established. Change for the sake of change can never be wrong, right?

Dropping millions of dollars into something is enough to convince most people that the new product is better than the old product. I'm still not entirely convinced that the Clearview research was a total loss.

I don't think it was. What it did show is that older people can have trouble with E(M) and that some changes are needed to assist them. I could certainly see applications for the font beyond road signs because of that.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SignGeek101

Has/did the FHWA done any research into Series EEM before approving Clearview (or even now?) Surely there should be some kind of trial test or something.

authenticroadgeek

wxfree

I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

lordsutch

Quote from: MisterSG1 on February 26, 2016, 09:05:01 AM
Even the GO Train diagram, such as this one in any GO Train coach is in clearview:

That's not Clearview; it's FF Meta (or its kissing cousin from the same designer, Fira Sans).

MisterSG1

Quote from: lordsutch on February 27, 2016, 07:23:15 PM
Even the GO Train diagram, such as this one in any GO Train coach is in clearview:

That's not Clearview; it's FF Meta (or its kissing cousin from the same designer, Fira Sans).

Yeah, I thought that one was Clearview, but looking at some of the letters, I see that it is not. But those signs inside Union Station, I'm fairly well certain that is clearview.

Quote from: cl94 on February 26, 2016, 09:12:37 AM
MTO had a few signs in Southern Ontario and many have been replaced. There were a few signs on 406 that are now gone as well as the aforementioned signs on the QEW.

I don't expect Toronto to stop installing Clearview. Many parts of Canada have adopted Clearview as the official font and I don't expect a FHWA ruling in the US to change that.

I was in Niagara Region today, and those signs on the Toronto bound QEW are in fact still there, such as the Red Hill Valley Parkway exit only sign, as well as the diagrammatical sign before reaching the 407/403 West interchange. They are still kicking and I don't expect them to be changed anytime soon.

cpzilliacus

Then explain the inability of the United States to fully adopt the SI instead of our ancient units of measure based on the time when the 13 colonies were part of the British Empire.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jakeroot

I think that's true for personal consumerism, but not so much so when the money being spent is from a public coffer: at that point, whatever's cheapest will do.

Brandon

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 28, 2016, 03:56:43 AM

Then explain the inability of the United States to fully adopt the SI instead of our ancient units of measure based on the time when the 13 colonies were part of the British Empire.

Not so strange when you explain the inability of the UK to do so, Belize, even Canada.  Canada may have officially adopted it, but the average Canadian uses a mixture in the everyday, and the building trades never stopped using Imperial measures.  There are lots of places that have halfheartedly adopted SI, including Japan, where the building trades, again, use local measures exclusively.  There really is no compelling reason to adopt SI in the everyday.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

riiga

Quote from: Brandon on February 28, 2016, 07:54:09 AM
There really is no compelling reason to adopt SI in the everyday.
I'd contest that, but this is not the right thread for it.

authenticroadgeek

We're leaving out an option, guys.
http://cdn-users2.imagechef.com/photos/160228/uimg2af4c93ae96d1106.jpg
Let's just say Peppatown is in serious need of some road signs.With love, from authenticroadgeek.

CrystalWalrein

No, that is Clearview. The M in FF Meta is flared and the middle angle goes almost all the way down.

JoePCool14

Quote from: authenticroadgeek on February 28, 2016, 02:53:24 PM
We're leaving out an option, guys.
http://cdn-users2.imagechef.com/photos/160228/uimg2af4c93ae96d1106.jpg
Let's just say Peppatown is in serious need of some road signs.With love, from authenticroadgeek.

:confused:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

MisterSG1

Quote from: CrystalWalrein on February 28, 2016, 07:48:43 PM

No, that is Clearview. The M in FF Meta is flared and the middle angle goes almost all the way down.

Actually it isn't, because I looked closely at the letters while on the train ride home on Friday, (well I've taken it so many times, what else is there to do) and it appears that the lowercase a looks different from a Clearview lowercase a. The lowercase a in this font's tail just goes straight down, a Clearview lowercase a almost has like a diagonal cross in it's tail, if that's the best way to explain it.

I tend to believe if I see that lowercase l with the tail, then it's clearview, but that's obviously not the case here.

Pink Jazz

I actually wonder if VDOT will consider Enhanced E Modified in the future if approved.  VDOT was apparently interested when they updated their Clearview rules in 2013.

PHLBOS

During a recent trip to Massachusetts (from Greater Philadelphia) this past weekend, I noticed that one of the recent NJ Clearview ground-mounted BGS for Exit 56 along I-295 North was replaced with a match in kind one in Highway Gothic.  No other BGS' were replaced.  I'm assuming that this was an-accident related replacement.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

paulthemapguy

DuPage County, Illinois, even uses Clearview on their bathroom signs!!

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

SignGeek101

Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 12, 2016, 07:12:11 PM
DuPage County, Illinois, even uses Clearview on their bathroom signs!!

Reminds me of the Clearview I saw last weekend. Installed by the city in some public downtown tunnels, and a mall. I like the look honestly.

wxfree

TxDOT's latest highway designs, for June contracts, still include Clearview signs.  I don't know when the plans were drawn or approved or what else may be involved.  The revisions for the May plans are online, and don't seem to include relevant changes.  Unless it's changed by some other means, it looks like new Clearview signs may be going up for another year or two as these projects get completed.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

cl94

No idea if NYSTA has made the switch back yet, as their sign plans have had FHWA for well over a year and every sign installed with those plans was Clearview. No idea if the new (Fall 2015) FHWA signs along I-190 in Buffalo were a one-off or the new NYSTA standard. I'm hoping the latter, as they're quite beautiful, but I'm not holding my breath.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

kalvado

Not so strange when you explain the inability of the UK to do so, Belize, even Canada.  Canada may have officially adopted it, but the average Canadian uses a mixture in the everyday, and the building trades never stopped using Imperial measures.  There are lots of places that have halfheartedly adopted SI, including Japan, where the building trades, again, use local measures exclusively.  There really is no compelling reason to adopt SI in the everyday.
I may be late for the party.. But there are 3 countries still officially using imperial system: USA, Liberia and Myanmar (formerly Burma, metrication in progress). Canada is officially metric, with imperial system being phased out of everyday use. You may notice that Canadian folks here quote speeds in km/h, not MPH; and price gas per liter, not per gallon.

cl94

Quote from: kalvado on May 02, 2016, 09:44:50 PM
I may be late for the party.. But there are 3 countries still officially using imperial system: USA, Liberia and Myanmar (formerly Burma, metrication in progress). Canada is officially metric, with imperial system being phased out of everyday use. You may notice that Canadian folks here quote speeds in km/h, not MPH; and price gas per liter, not per gallon.

That's only because everything is posted in km/h, Canadian cars show km/h more prominently, and gas is sold in $/liter. From spending quite a bit of time in Canada, Imperial is still used for quite a bit, notably cooking (temperatures) and height (at amusement parks, for example). Quite a bit that isn't noticeable on the forums is used in daily life, at least in Ontario. Canadian radio has ads for stuff in Imperial, pizza sizes are listed in inches, weight of some things is in pounds (and I don't just mean the McDonald's Quarter Pounder).

Britain might not "officially" use Imperial, but speed limits are in MPH, for example.

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on May 02, 2016, 10:02:33 PM
Imperial is still used for quite a bit
I don't think anyone in the world (short of scientific papers - but there may be some exceptions as well) is clear cut metric or non-metric. Electric heaters in US are rated in watts, not BTU/hour, for example.
Coming closer to the specialty of this forum - most car manufacturers switched to all-metric hardware, Harley-Davidson being one of lase exceptions (not exactly car, but well). Some things slowly changing, some are stuck for centuries to come (electric connectors and marine navigation - which is still "driving" on left.

Another interesting example of metrication (again not strictly metrication - but worldwide issue) is switch to lumens for light bulbs. Most old farts like me are used to 40/60/75 watts, but need to switch to 450/800/110 lm. Interestingly enough, I did see LED headlights and LED headlight replacement bulbs - but I don't remember them rated in lumens, I may stop by at Pep boys to double check.

thenetwork

The Canadian Football League is still in yards as well

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.