Why not a brand new highway between Mont-Joli, QC and Campbellton, NB?

Started by Richard3, June 27, 2023, 01:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard3

In order to improve safety on the road, it is important to separate transit traffic from local one.  A great way to go in that direction would be a brand new highway between Mont-Joli, QC, where the last section of A-20 come to an end, and Campbellton, NB, to connect directly to NB route 11 with a new bridge out of any urban area.

It's sure that the actual traffic figures don't show the need for an Interstate-like freeway on all the length, but to have taken the 132 several times, on daytime as well as on overnight, there's a lot of heavy traffic there, especially in the Matapedia River Valley, so we would start with some by-passes around towns like Mont-Joli, Amqui and Causapscal, and close the gaps between them as well as it becomes necessary, for volume and/or safety reasons.  This freeway could be the continuation of A-20, or it may have another number as well.

Your opinion?
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

Alps

Since this is not Fictional Highways, my thought is the following: All of the Gaspe is served by 132. Yes, there are two halves to it, but it's one road with a few cutoffs. I do not agree that what you are talking about is warranted. 132 gets crowded during the summer, but when I went on an actual summer day it wasn't bad except for a couple of small towns along the shore. Campbellton is a nice local municipality that serves its region, but it is not a major draw overall. A-85 is intended for through traffic, leave this as local traffic and let the wilderness be.

LilianaUwU

Having been to Amqui multiple times, it's just not that busy to warrant a freeway. Most of QC 132 in Amqui is four lanes anyways.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

vdeane

Not to mention terrain.  Punching an autoroute through, say, here looks expensive.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.