News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Illegal U-Turns on I-44 in Lawton

Started by Bobby5280, June 10, 2015, 07:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

This kind of ties in to other discussions going on about at-grade turns on I-10 and I-40 in West Texas and the debate how existing at-grade turns on the proposed I-69E and I-69C corridors and South Texas should be handled. I'm not in favor of at-grade turns on Interstate highways at all. I think they're inherently dangerous.

Here in Lawton there is an at-grade turn just North of the I-44 & Cache Road interchange. The turn is for emergency vehicle use only. A few days ago ODOT shut down the I-44 NB ramp to WB Cache Road because of construction defects in the recently built road surface. That short segment is going to be closed until the end of the month. ODOT will also have crews doing some repainting work in certain places in the interchange, which will result in other closures.

KSWO-TV ran this article today about drivers taking illegal U-turns at the Cache Road interchange:
http://www.kswo.com/story/29290478/ohp-tickets-impatient-drivers-making-illegal-u-turns

OHP is monitoring that part of I-44 and is busting drivers for making the illegal U-turn. It's an expensive $200+ ticket.

rte66man

Quote from: Bobby5280 on June 10, 2015, 07:41:22 PM
This kind of ties in to other discussions going on about at-grade turns on I-10 and I-40 in West Texas and the debate how existing at-grade turns on the proposed I-69E and I-69C corridors and South Texas should be handled. I'm not in favor of at-grade turns on Interstate highways at all. I think they're inherently dangerous.

Here in Lawton there is an at-grade turn just North of the I-44 & Cache Road interchange. The turn is for emergency vehicle use only. A few days ago ODOT shut down the I-44 NB ramp to WB Cache Road because of construction defects in the recently built road surface. That short segment is going to be closed until the end of the month. ODOT will also have crews doing some repainting work in certain places in the interchange, which will result in other closures.

KSWO-TV ran this article today about drivers taking illegal U-turns at the Cache Road interchange:
http://www.kswo.com/story/29290478/ohp-tickets-impatient-drivers-making-illegal-u-turns

OHP is monitoring that part of I-44 and is busting drivers for making the illegal U-turn. It's an expensive $200+ ticket.

Is this the place?
https://goo.gl/maps/ZAlH0
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Bobby5280

Yes. That is it. IMHO they just need to close off that service turn. It's pretty badly weathered anyway. Lots of loose gravel and a pretty good dip in the center.

Brandon

Quote from: Bobby5280 on June 11, 2015, 09:32:40 AM
Yes. That is it. IMHO they just need to close off that service turn. It's pretty badly weathered anyway. Lots of loose gravel and a pretty good dip in the center.

The vast majority of crossovers like that need to simply be closed and removed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

mrsman

Quote from: Brandon on June 11, 2015, 10:09:10 AM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on June 11, 2015, 09:32:40 AM

The vast majority of crossovers like that need to simply be closed and removed.

Agreed.  From my experience the crossovers are usually used by police to enable speed enforcement.

What's very odd here is how close the crossover is to an exit, and a fairly involved exit as well (i.e. more than just a simple diamond interchange, this is a partial stack with lots of exit and entrance ramps).

leroys73

Bobby, I am very familiar with the "U-Turn".  I agree it is a bad place to have a service turn. 

Many, Many years ago probably late 70s or early 80's my buddy got busted for using it.  We were on our way to Lake Lawtonka to ski but forgot the key.  He just zipped across it and bang a ticket.  Bad choice but not as busy back then. 
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.