Madill OK: Round SH 99 sign near very old ODOT Facility

Started by Brian556, April 23, 2017, 02:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Found this while going to photograph and old bridge on what looks to be and old route of SH 99 in Madill.

This assembly is weird because it is incomplete, it has an old circle shield, and it is facing a city street.

The ODOT office is located on this city street, and they drive right by it daily.

Even more interesting is how old the ODOT office is. My guess is that its from the 30's or 40's. It even still has the old name of the department in funky font old letters

Scott5114

If it's not on an active state highway, ODOT doesn't have the authority to touch it, so that's probably why it's still up. Ownership of the sign transferred to the city whenever the road was transferred.

I can't make it out in the photo, but the shields are datestamped. You might be able to read it from the original image–look at the tiny line of text at the very bottom of each sign. It will read something like "ODOT 06 95"–meaning a June 1995 manufacture date.

How sure are you that the ODOT facility is active? Were there any cars around with the ODOT logo (or the old roundel)? Otherwise, there's a possibility that the building is being used by someone else and they kept the sign because it looks cool. It's hard to imagine them failing to change the sign to say ODOT when the name changed back in the 70s. Especially considering the hideous paint job they gave the Division Three headquarters to match the new logo.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brian556

Quote from Scott5114:
QuoteHow sure are you that the ODOT facility is active? Were there any cars around with the ODOT logo (or the old roundel)? Otherwise, there's a possibility that the building is being used by someone else and they kept the sign because it looks cool. It's hard to imagine them failing to change the sign to say ODOT when the name changed back in the 70s. Especially considering the hideous paint job they gave the Division Three headquarters to match the new logo.

Everything in their yard looked like typical DOT stuff. Sand spreaders, signs, ect. I can't remember 100%, but I think I saw pickups with a round ODOT logo. There is a state flag flying at the facility also

SD Mapman

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

MNHighwayMan

Is that assembly trying to tell me all three routes are to the left? It's so poorly laid out I can't be certain.

Brian556

Quote from MNHighwayMan:
QuoteIs that assembly trying to tell me all three routes are to the left? It's so poorly laid out I can't be certain.

Yes. It just fails to mention everything that is to the right

Scott5114

Quote from: SD Mapman on April 23, 2017, 11:15:39 PM
It is ODOT:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.085426,-96.7687357,3a,24.7y,130.16h,86.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFO9qFVIBoZJ99ySVC-vFJA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The street view raises more questions about what's going on there. There's another ancient sign, old enough to read Department of Highways, complete with rotting sheeting. The only sign that says "ODOT" does not use FHWA series fonts, but rather an all-caps block-ish sort of font that (incorrectly) shows up on actual road signs now and then.

My working theory is that the ODOT Madill Residency just could not give less of a shit.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SD Mapman

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 24, 2017, 03:04:01 AM
Quote from: SD Mapman on April 23, 2017, 11:15:39 PM
It is ODOT:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.085426,-96.7687357,3a,24.7y,130.16h,86.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFO9qFVIBoZJ99ySVC-vFJA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The street view raises more questions about what's going on there. There's another ancient sign, old enough to read Department of Highways, complete with rotting sheeting. The only sign that says "ODOT" does not use FHWA series fonts, but rather an all-caps block-ish sort of font that (incorrectly) shows up on actual road signs now and then.

My working theory is that the ODOT Madill Residency just could not give less of a shit.
You're probably right; here's the official gov't webpage: http://www.odot.org/flddiv2/cr23.htm
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.