News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Where will be the newest major city?

Started by MantyMadTown, August 07, 2018, 10:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: dvferyance on November 29, 2018, 07:49:22 PM
Sioux Falls SD has seen major growth over the years. Now it's population is pushing 200,000 nearly double from 1990. I don't get what the attraction is that so many people are moving there. Boring terrain cold weather the big attractions South Dakota has like Mt Rushmore and Deadwood ect are way on the other side of the state.

i doubt that will ever be a major city.

DJStephens

Quote from: bing101 on November 26, 2018, 03:58:48 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on August 07, 2018, 11:49:36 PM
Quote from: bing101 on August 07, 2018, 11:27:14 PM
Austin, TX was discussed at one point though to become the newest major city given that I heard of that area getting former California Residents at one point.

Yes, way too many of them.  Figured Austin was already major though.  I say Salt Lake City.

I heard the hype of Austin, TX is basically if San Francisco, Berkeley, Davis and Sacramento moved to one area within a red state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin,_Texas

Interestingly as of this Wikipedia post its the same size as San Jose as of 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Paso,_Texas

How About El Paso, TX it has to be in the running for Newest major city in the USA.

El Paso TX is likely close to a million, within city limits, if everyone is counted.  Add Cuidad Juarez directly to the south, and it is a metro area of at least three million.  It has gotten very crowded in El Paso, with too much overly dense development being allowed.  Not what it used to be in terms of livability.

kphoger

Quote from: DJStephens on December 04, 2018, 09:21:31 PM
El Paso TX is likely close to a million, within city limits, if everyone is counted.  Add Cuidad Juarez directly to the south, and it is a metro area of at least three million.  It has gotten very crowded in El Paso, with too much overly dense development being allowed.  Not what it used to be in terms of livability.

El Paso = approx. to 700,000 in city limits
Cd Juárez = approx. 1.5 million in city limits
Bi-national metro area = approx. 2.7 million

My vote goes to India.  The newest major city will be in India.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mark68

It's possible that after Boise, the next large city in the West could be Colorado Springs. The growth rate since 1940 in the city itself has been 23.6%, 54.4%, 93.1%, 58.7%, 30.7%, 28.4%, 15.4%. Between 2010 & the latest (2017) estimate, it's been 11.5% to a total of nearly 465k. They just incorporated new land that is projected to add another 175k.

The MSA (El Paso & Teller Counties) are at ~725k now. While much of the growth is still taking place within Colo Spgs' city limits, it is starting to spread north, east, and south. Areas such as Fountain, Security-Widefield, Falcon, Black Forest & Gleneagle have experienced much of the spillover growth.

Soon, it could be that Colorado Springs and Denver grow together into a large conurbation (with Boulder, Ft Collins & Greeley to the north) housing nearly 6 million. The southern areas of Douglas County, which are still rural, are all that separates southern Denver suburbs (Castle Rock) from northern Colorado Springs suburbs (Palmer Lake, Monument, Black Forest). That's about 15 rural miles of I-25 that is currently choked with commuters.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

TheHighwayMan3561

The remaining four-lane sections of I-25 between Springs and Denver already may be having serious issues with undercapacity.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Mark68

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 05, 2018, 03:22:03 PM
The remaining four-lane sections of I-25 between Springs and Denver already may be having serious issues with undercapacity.

CDOT is widening that stretch, but the additional lanes are going to be "express" lanes.

https://www.9news.com/article/traffic/construction-starts-tuesday-for-i-25-widening-project-between-monument-and-castle-rock/73-588746389
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

bing101

Bruce

Looking around on Google Maps, I'm not seeing anything overly dense, even by Western U.S. standards. El Paso can't grow into the next great city if people have to commute out from the edge of sprawlsville just to afford a home.

DandyDan

Sioux Falls SD has seen major growth over the years. Now it's population is pushing 200,000 nearly double from 1990. I don't get what the attraction is that so many people are moving there. Boring terrain cold weather the big attractions South Dakota has like Mt Rushmore and Deadwood ect are way on the other side of the state.
Much of the growth of Sioux Falls has to do with the growth of the financial services industry there. It's also a big medical hub. FWIW, my uncle who lives there works for a bank and his wife for a hospital.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Brandon

Quote from: Bruce on December 06, 2018, 12:02:23 AM

Looking around on Google Maps, I'm not seeing anything overly dense, even by Western U.S. standards. El Paso can't grow into the next great city if people have to commute out from the edge of sprawlsville just to afford a home.

It's not so much sprawl if you have parks and military installations that are in the way.  El Paso has grown the way it has due to a very large park (with mountains) dividing the I-10 west corridor from the US-54 corridor, and Fort Bliss dividing that corridor from the I-10 east corridor.  Not everywhere is as flat and open as Oklahoma City, nor as constrained as Portland.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

bing101

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-10-30/news/mn-3650_1_city-and-sacramento-county

Sacramento City and Sacramento County back in 1990 considered a city/county consolidation similar to San Francisco. If the proposal was approved then Sacramento City/County would have been the second City/County consolidation in California after San Francisco and would have made Sacramento Largest city in Northern California than San Francisco or San Jose today and a major city.

pdx-wanderer

Bend, OR has grown to nearly 100,000 residents from about 20,000 in 1990 and while that's not nearly as big as some of the others here, considering its surroundings (it's by far the biggest city in the I-5/I-84/I-15/I-80 encasement) it definitely qualifies as at least a new regional major city. The roads have not really matched the growth however; Bend still only has two lane roads as connections outside of the immediate area.

silverback1065

Quote from: pdx-wanderer on December 06, 2018, 08:28:37 PM
Bend, OR has grown to nearly 100,000 residents from about 20,000 in 1990 and while that's not nearly as big as some of the others here, considering its surroundings (it's by far the biggest city in the I-5/I-84/I-15/I-80 encasement) it definitely qualifies as at least a new regional major city. The roads have not really matched the growth however; Bend still only has two lane roads as connections outside of the immediate area.

how did bend get so big?  :hmmm:

triplemultiplex

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 06, 2018, 09:03:17 PM

Californians.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

bing101

If we are to expand outside the USA of this thread about the newest Major cities. I would pick New Clark City, Tarlac  and San Fernando, Pampanga these places are trying to be an alternative economic centers in the Philippines besides Metro Manila. The Metro (Manila Area) has been brought up for being overcrowded and most expensive part of the Philippines in multiple debates.

http://www.manilastandard.net/mobile/article/263256           
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capas,_Tarlac         
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarlac   
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pampanga

Brandon

No one can get the fuck out of it.  I visited Bend over the summer on my trip out there, and damn near got lost trying to get out.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

MantyMadTown

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 07, 2018, 12:54:51 PM

Californians.

Yeah, lots of Californians move to Bend because of its appeal to the outdoors and to escape the expensive Bay Area housing situation. I actually read that people are still commuting from there to Silicon Valley despite being a 10 hour drive.
Forget the I-41 haters

bing101

Quote from: MantyMadTown on December 07, 2018, 11:58:53 PM

Californians.

Yeah, lots of Californians move to Bend because of its appeal to the outdoors and to escape the expensive Bay Area housing situation. I actually read that people are still commuting from there to Silicon Valley despite being a 10 hour drive.

What the hell its crazy people from Bend, OR commute to the San Jose area for a job? and its a 10 hour commute. Thats like commuting from Sacramento to Los Angeles round trip on I-5.

mgk920

Quote from: bing101 on December 08, 2018, 01:23:27 PM

Californians.

What the hell its crazy people from Bend, OR commute to the San Jose area for a job? and its a 10 hour commute. Thats like commuting from Sacramento to Los Angeles round trip on I-5.

Live in Bend on weekends, commute to the Bay area to work, renting a tiny studio apartment to crash in on weeknights.

I've seen the same thing WRT Chicago, with weekend homes in Walworth County, WI.

Mike

abefroman329

Quote from: mgk920 on December 08, 2018, 11:50:59 PM

Californians.

Live in Bend on weekends, commute to the Bay area to work, renting a tiny studio apartment to crash in on weeknights.

I've seen the same thing WRT Chicago, with weekend homes in Walworth County, WI.

Mike
Fairly common in NYC and DC too. Obviously the personal incentives of doing so have to be huge for the individual to do something like this.

bing101

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 09, 2018, 10:09:36 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on December 08, 2018, 11:50:59 PM

Californians.

Mike
Fairly common in NYC and DC too. Obviously the personal incentives of doing so have to be huge for the individual to do something like this.

I heard of Lobbyists/Superpacs workers  from other parts of California spend weekdays in Sacramento but commute to the home districts on the weekends though. Ok that makes more sense though.

dvferyance

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 29, 2018, 09:55:13 PM

It depends on what you define as major. Will it be major like Denver or Minneapolis? Most likely not but I could see it falling into the size of like Des Moines or Grand Rapids.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: dvferyance on December 16, 2018, 08:33:43 PM

It depends on what you define as major. Will it be major like Denver or Minneapolis? Most likely not but I could see it falling into the size of like Des Moines or Grand Rapids.

Well when I posted this I was looking for cities that will be more like Denver or Minneapolis. If Sioux Falls won't be that big I wouldn't count it as major.
Forget the I-41 haters

webny99

Obviously, Rochester, NY, will be the next "major" city. definitely #3 or #4 within the US before the century is over.

Quote from: dvferyance on December 16, 2018, 08:33:43 PM

Isn't Sioux Falls already a similar size to Des Moines and Grand Rapids? :-D

sparker

I think it'll be Boise (ID) as the core city and the "Treasure Valley" as the area of most outsized growth.  Relatively benign climate but with defined seasons, moderate taxes, and property values that at least for the present are lagging behind much of the rest of the western states (one can get much more house for the money than in CA or the urban Northwest).  And the cost of doing business is considerably less.  One of my ventures is designing and building home speakers; I am currently sourcing my cabinetry from a woodworking shop in Alameda who themselves until recently utilized a finishing shop a couple of blocks away.  But CA costs drove that finishing shop to relocate in Caldwell, ID, about 35 miles west of Boise (my production was delayed for weeks while my cabinet guy located a suitable replacement).  Any business working with volatile substances here in CA (in this case stains, lacquers, etc.) will run into environmental issues in CA, particularly in urban zones; while that in itself is completely understandable, from an economic standpoint flight rather than fight seems often to be the solution for many enterprises.

(Saving grace:  the new Albany-based finishing shop does a better job for a similar price than the Idaho-bound folks!) 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.