News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 03, 2013, 09:48:07 PM
That presumption does exist but isn't all that big a deal if indeed a law violates the Virginia constitution. A few years back our Supreme Court threw out the law in which the General Assembly purported to allow the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority to decide whether to impose certain regional taxes, for example. (The General Assembly can't delegate that power to an unelected body.)

Yeah, I recall that law and the ruling that nullified it. That was after the attempt to have bad drivers fund Virginia's transportation system with those "abusive driver fees."
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 04, 2013, 12:23:05 AM
That presumption does exist but isn't all that big a deal if indeed a law violates the Virginia constitution. A few years back our Supreme Court threw out the law in which the General Assembly purported to allow the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority to decide whether to impose certain regional taxes, for example. (The General Assembly can't delegate that power to an unelected body.)

Yeah, I recall that law and the ruling that nullified it. That was after the attempt to have bad drivers fund Virginia's transportation system with those "abusive driver fees."

I think it was around the same time. The Supreme Court ruling on the NVTA came about a week before the General Assembly repealed those "fees."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 04, 2013, 09:32:49 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 04, 2013, 12:23:05 AM

I think it was around the same time. The Supreme Court ruling on the NVTA came about a week before the General Assembly repealed those "fees."

Sounds about right.

What I don't understand about transportation funding in general and highway funding in particular in the Commonwealth of Virginia is that Northern Virginia (and Hampton Roads, too) have needs that are very expensive as compared to much of the rest of the state (Hampton Roads has lots of water to cross over or under, and NoVa has a very expensive Metrorail system, in addition to a frequently inadequate highway network).  And the Senators and Delegates from OthVa  (the other parts of the state) know full well that NoVa pays a disproportionate share of state income taxes to Richmond, and gets (relatively) little in return - but the idea that (in particular) Northern Virginia might (might) get back more than it sends down I-95 in the  form of highway user revenues is absolutely repellant to many members of the General Assembly from OthVa. 

Then there are the doctrinaire senators and delegates from NoVa that repeatedly vote their opposition to more highway funding, even though the private sector (with three prominent exceptions) has not shown much  interest in building capacity in NoVa.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Va. transportation officials draw ire at town hall on Pr. William's Bi-County Parkway

QuoteState transportation officials methodically laid out their plans Monday for a proposed four-lane parkway through western Prince William County during a packed and often tense town hall meeting.

QuoteFew of the 300 or so residents who attended, however, were likely to have left the forum at Bull Run Middle School in Gainesville satisfied, as the prospect of a Bi-County Parkway connecting I-66 in Prince William to Route 50 in Loudoun County appears increasingly likely.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Deal is near to shift traffic out of Manassas battlefield park

QuoteThe National Park Service and Virginia authorities are close to signing a major Civil War battlefield preservation deal that eventually would close two congested roads that slice through the twice-hallowed ground at Manassas.

QuoteThe agreement, which could be signed by the summer, would provide for routes 234 and 29 to be shut down inside Manassas National Battlefield Park. That would happen once new highways are built along the western and northern edges of the battlefield and serve as bypasses.

WillWeaverRVA

Many original I-195 and VA 195 shields in the City of Richmond are now gone as the city works to improve its horrendous signage. Collateral damage, I suppose...
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

The ones that we saw downtown during the meet? What about the overhead?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Takumi on March 07, 2013, 10:36:45 PM
The ones that we saw downtown during the meet? What about the overhead?

Most of the ones we saw downtown have been replaced. The overheads (i.e. the VA 195 one we saw and the ones on the southbound Manchester Bridge we didn't) are still there.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

cpzilliacus

Richmond Times-Dispatch: RMA head to pitch restructuring proposal - Brown wants assembly nod for same number of seats for counties, city

QuoteThe chairman of the Richmond Metropolitan Authority will pitch a proposal today to restructure the regional entity to carry out transportation initiatives and other major capital projects in the metropolitan area.

QuoteCarlos M. Brown, a Dominion Resources Inc. lawyer who became chairman of the RMA Board of Directors in June, said he will propose a three-phase process he hopes will result in legislation next year to equalize board representation among Richmond and the counties of Chesterfield and Henrico.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post editorial: Tinkering could kill Virginia's transportation bill

QuoteLAST MONTH Virginia lawmakers enacted the most important state transportation-funding bill in 27 years. Since then irate conservatives have been pounding on Gov. Robert F. McDonnell, a Republican who generally supports the measure, to water it down by amending it. Opponents have taken particular aim at a provision that would raise as much as $500 million annually for road and rail projects in Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads, the state's most congested regions, on top of $880 million in new statewide funding by 2018.

cpzilliacus

Richmond Times-Dispatch: State roads poised for $4B - Money would become available if governor signs legislation on his desk

QuoteFor the first time in four years, Virginia's six-year plan for road construction will mean something.

QuoteThe state would receive an additional $4 billion for its six-year plan – and possibly more, depending on the fate of legislation in Congress to tax Internet sales – under legislation awaiting the signature of Gov. Bob McDonnell that would raise state tax revenues for transportation for the first time in 27 years.

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Express Lanes construction to bring more detours in Va.

QuoteWASHINGTON - More detours and shutdowns are planned as part of the Interstate 95 Express Lanes project, and drivers should be prepared for their commutes to get worse before they get better.

QuoteStarting March 27, the Telegraph Road bridge over I-95 near Quantico will be closed. It will be removed so a new one can be built to accommodate the new Express lanes over the next nine months, if the weather cooperates.

QuoteThere will be detours to Russel Road.

QuoteThe demolition at times will shut down some lanes on both northbound and southbound I-95 in the overnight hours.

1995hoo

I went to Old Town this morning and I was happy to note that the construction on the (other) Telegraph Road's bridge over the railroad and Metrorail tracks appears to be finished! The overpass is much nicer now. Didn't get any pictures, though, because right as I was about to snap one the guy in front of me swerved....guess he realized he was in the wrong lane. The completion of that overpass is a milestone, as it was the final step of the Wilson Bridge project.

I suppose that guy swerving is better than what happened a little later, though. I was on US-1 (Henry Street) when suddenly an SUV with New York plates came around the corner from King Street headed straight for me. Why is this a problem? Because Henry Street is a one-way street headed south. (The guy appeared to realize his mistake quickly, as he cut a u-ie almost immediately after passing me.....good thing the traffic behind me was stopped at a red light about a block away!)

cpzilliacus

Richmond Times-Dispatch [Op-Ed]: RMA can be the route forward

QuoteThe latest discord among Richmond's biggest municipalities involves an organization that few people really know anything about.

QuoteIf you live in the Richmond Region, quiz your neighbors about the Richmond Metropolitan Authority and what it does.

QuoteDon't feel bad if you get blank stares or requests to phone a friend. Some of the allegedly most-informed Richmonders don't know either.

QuoteBut ignorance is dangerous when it contributes to preventing a region from accomplishing big-results projects and improve-tomorrow initiatives that anticipate changing trends, such as population shifts and new quality-of-life needs.

cpzilliacus

IMO, this is proof that even something odious like the City of Hopewell's revenue-raising operation on I-295 sometimes can yield positive benefits to society in spite of itself.

Richmond Times-Dispatch: N.J. man convicted of driving 95 mph with six unrestrained kids while high on heroin

QuoteWhen Hopewell sheriff's Deputy Sean Godwin stopped Isaiah Hall last spring for speeding 95 mph on Interstate 295, he was surprised to see six children and another adult packed inside Hall's van – none of them wearing safety belts or restrained in child seats.

QuoteThe youngsters, as it turned out, were Hall's grandchildren, ages 4, 6, 9, 12, 13 and 15. The family, which included Hall's adult daughter, was returning to East Orange, N.J., after attending a funeral in North Carolina.

roadman65

Here is an old map of the Richmond- Fredericksburg area before I-95 was built.  What is interesting is that VA 207 was used as a principal through route to US 1 from US 301 for Richmond instead of US 301 itself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/8605817529/in/photostream
Also, US 17 ended in Fredericksburg as north of there to Winchester was VA 17.
I thought that it would be interesting.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

207 is still the through route...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on March 31, 2013, 12:31:04 PM
Here is an old map of the Richmond- Fredericksburg area before I-95 was built.  What is interesting is that VA 207 was used as a principal through route to US 1 from US 301 for Richmond instead of US 301 itself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/8605817529/in/photostream
Also, US 17 ended in Fredericksburg as north of there to Winchester was VA 17.
I thought that it would be interesting.

Does that map have a Norfolk-Portsmouth inset and if so, does it show a VA 150 running from Portsmouth to Norfolk via the Midtown Tunnel?  This routing was on the books from 2/61-6/62 but I have never seen a map show it.

Mapmikey

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on March 31, 2013, 12:33:50 PM
207 is still the through route...
Yeah, that is why its amazing that 207 was a through route then .  Now with I-95 its understandable, but US 301 is the most direct route considering it also is the same as US 1.  With I-95 and VA 207 together its is shorter time wise than US 301 via Hanover.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on March 31, 2013, 12:31:04 PM

Effectively it still is. 

U.S. 301 between Bowling Green and  I-295 is mostly a two-lane arterial, though I have never found it to be congested.

But it has more of a "close to nature" feel than 207, and it always has.   

cpzilliacus

Robert Thomson (Dr. Gridlock) in the Washington Post: I-66 study shows difficult road ahead for Northern Virginia commuters

QuoteHow do commuters have the courage to get out of bed when they face a drive through the Interstate 66 corridor?

QuoteThe national study showing that the D.C. region has the worst congestion in the nation merely supplies bragging rights. It doesn't pinpoint troubles on any particular route. But a new study for a Virginia transportation program provides a pavement-level view of the misery along the 25 miles of highway between Route 15 in Prince William County and the Capital Beltway.

cpzilliacus

Richmond Times-Dispatch: 5 killed in head-on collision on I-85 in Brunswick

QuoteFive people were killed this morning when a wrong-way pickup truck collided head-on with a car on Interstate 85,  destroying both vehicles to such an extent that authorities closed the southbound lanes for an extended period to sort through the wreckage.

QuoteVirginia State Police Sgt. Michelle Anaya said all five people were declared dead at the scene of the crash, which occurred shortly before dawn in I-85's southbound lanes at mile marker 26 in Brunswick County, just southwest of Alberta.

1995hoo

Just found this. I-95 (now I-395) under reconstruction in the early 1970s. Wow! Love the buses in the middle there.

agentsteel53

a dirt construction detour of a paved road.  you see those more and more rarely these days.  my only encounters with such things in the US have been US-14 in Wyoming in 2006 (well done, a pilot car led everyone through a ~6 mile segment, and the dirt was well-graded) and US-18 in South Dakota in 2011 (disastrously bad).
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 09, 2013, 04:36:53 PM
a dirt construction detour of a paved road.  you see those more and more rarely these days.  my only encounters with such things in the US have been US-14 in Wyoming in 2006 (well done, a pilot car led everyone through a ~6 mile segment, and the dirt was well-graded) and US-18 in South Dakota in 2011 (disastrously bad).

That's what we now call I-395 (Henry G. Shirley Memorial Highway), along with the earliest days of the busway, which  morphed into the  HOV lanes in the mid-1970's, and is still one of the best facilities of its kind in the United States.

I believe it may have been better "paved" than what the image implies.  I seem to recall that the Virginia Department of Highways (VDH), predecessor agency to VDOT, had to provide an "all-weather" surface (stone chips and tar with some patches of asphalt) for the buses to drive on, primitive though it may have been.

This is approaching Va. 120 (South Glebe Road), and I believe the camera is looking northbound.  The creek in the foreground is Four Mile Run, and the overpass in the distance is to South Arlington Ridge Road.

If you look through the crane in to the left of the image, that apartment building still stands there today.

GSV of the same view (but Google does not use as good of a camera) here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.