News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Veterans Expressway Express Lanes

Started by theroadwayone, November 28, 2017, 05:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theroadwayone

According to this, the Veterans Expressway (SR 589) will gain a new toll lane in each direction. From what I understand, it'll be like HOT lanes on a freeway, just with a different price structure.
http://www.abcactionnews.com/traffic/traffic-news/veterans-expressways-express-toll-lanes-to-open-by-the-end-of-the-year

Alex

Quote from: theroadwayone on November 28, 2017, 05:45:25 PM
According to this, the Veterans Expressway (SR 589) will gain a new toll lane in each direction. From what I understand, it'll be like HOT lanes on a freeway, just with a different price structure.
http://www.abcactionnews.com/traffic/traffic-news/veterans-expressways-express-toll-lanes-to-open-by-the-end-of-the-year

Yes, these will open this month (the exact date is not announced yet AFAIK). The new lanes will operate as traditional express lanes, with limited ingress and egress points, and toll rates varying on time of day and traffic congestion. The rates will be higher than the regular rate already charged for the remaining lanes. The signs have been in test mode for awhile now, and the pavement complete on the southern half of the section to be opened, while work has continued on the northern section.

A photo I took back in early September:

Max Rockatansky

Wouldn't it just be better to just expand 589 properly between FL 54 and FL 60?  589 is already a toll road so the solution is more tolls via express lanes?  Well now I know what I was actually looking at back in May when I was wondering why the expansion project that was ongoing when I lived in Florida wasn't finished.

sparker

A toll road with premium/express lanes added?  Nothing like it out here in CA, even in OC toll country.  Question: is this the first of that particular kind (toll bridges excepted; roadways only) out there or has this concept been implemented before?....and if so, has the usage to date of the premium lane warranted the administrative expense of maintaining separate systems? 

DeaconG

Quote from: sparker on December 06, 2017, 05:46:44 PM
A toll road with premium/express lanes added?  Nothing like it out here in CA, even in OC toll country.  Question: is this the first of that particular kind (toll bridges excepted; roadways only) out there or has this concept been implemented before?....and if so, has the usage to date of the premium lane warranted the administrative expense of maintaining separate systems? 

I know right? I kept looking at this and going "wait a minute, isn't the Veterans Expressway already tolled? What? I don't..."  :hmmm: :spin: :crazy:
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: DeaconG on December 06, 2017, 11:23:26 PM

I know right? I kept looking at this and going "wait a minute, isn't the Veterans Expressway already tolled? What? I don't..."  :hmmm: :spin: :crazy:

Isn't FL 826/Palmetto Expressway getting the same treatment soon?  At the very least tolls in Florida generally are affordable compared to most states.

21stCenturyRoad

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 06, 2017, 11:29:48 PM

Isn't FL 826/Palmetto Expressway getting the same treatment soon?  At the very least tolls in Florida generally are affordable compared to most states.

Yes, they are already making progress on the FL-826 Express Lanes which will run from FL-836 to I-75. They will also connect with the ones on I-75, which has theirs under construction as well.

I agree with you about Florida's low toll rates. Everybody is always complaining about the tolls here, but at least we don't have to pay $15 to cross a bridge in NYC (compared to the Sunshine Skyway's $1.25 toll).
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 21stCenturyRoad on December 06, 2017, 11:57:21 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 06, 2017, 11:29:48 PM

Yes, they are already making progress on the FL-826 Express Lanes which will run from FL-836 to I-75. They will also connect with the ones on I-75, which has theirs under construction as well.

I agree with you about Florida's low toll rates. Everybody is always complaining about the tolls here, but at least we don't have to pay $15 to cross a bridge in NYC (compared to the Sunshine Skyway's $1.25 toll).

Or that complete abortion with the I-66 express lanes from this morning....  I want to say all of Florida's Turnpike is less than $20 dollars if you have a Sun Pass.  Hell, I just paid about $8 to cross 1.5 miles of the Golden Gate Bridge the other day...the tolls were never a big deal when I lived in Florida.  When I lived in Orlando everyone would pile onto I-4 out of cheapness when 408 and 417 were perfectly traffic free.

RoadPelican

I heard on the news recently that 112 Million people visited Florida in 2016, a record number!!!  Think of all the Sales Tax revenue the State collects (rental car fees, hotel taxes, sales taxes for dining and attractions etc) So then why does FDOT feel the need to put extra toll lanes on a toll road????  Clearly most politicians in Tallahassee can't do math and lack fiscal restraint!

Max Rockatansky

Drove the Veterans Expressway lanes today after I landed in Tampa.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmz6wimz

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.