News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

If you could shut down one business...

Started by hotdogPi, August 26, 2019, 08:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

You can assume that part of the "magic" of shutting down the business includes the ability to move customers and employees to another similar company without problems.

----

I would choose Wells Fargo. They are incredibly dishonest, with multiple scandals, and they're not expected to go bankrupt any time soon.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

kevinb1994

Quote from: 1 on August 26, 2019, 08:56:47 AM
You can assume that part of the "magic" of shutting down the business includes the ability to move customers and employees to another similar company without problems.

----

I would choose Wells Fargo. They are incredibly dishonest, with multiple scandals, and they're not expected to go bankrupt any time soon.
Boy do I miss the old Wachovia Bank! I'd shut down Exxon and/or BP due to the oil spill(s).

Max Rockatansky

renegade

Just one?  Would it matter if I used to work there?   :-D
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

webny99

Yikes. I didn't know about any of that. Good to know.
I'm having trouble picking just a single company. There's been a number of companies I've been mad at, but I would want to know others have had similar experiences before making a choice.

bandit957

Wells Fargo is near the top of my list too, thanks to all the harassing phone calls they made when they were ostensibly looking for someone else, who "owed" them.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ozarkman417

Maybe NBC or FOX. Both networks are very biased and report opinions, not facts.

SM-G965U

hbelkins

Wawa. Then all the delusional people who think it's better than Sheetz would have to shut up.  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on August 26, 2019, 03:22:09 PM
Wawa. Then all the delusional people who think it's better than Sheetz would have to shut up.  :bigass:

That was truly bizarre to me how big a following Wawa had when I lived in Florida for three years.  I'd just much rather go get a sandwich from Publix and gas from 7/11. 

kphoger

Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 26, 2019, 02:34:35 PM
Maybe NBC or FOX. Both All networks are very biased and report opinions, not facts.

FTFY.  Best to use multiple news outlets and try to decipher the truth from balancing all of them together.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

michravera

Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 26, 2019, 02:34:35 PM
Maybe NBC or FOX. Both networks are very biased and report opinions, not facts.

SM-G965U

I don't watch NBC very often, but Fox News mostly reports the news. My very anti-Republican wife relies upon it for much of her local news. Now, Fox Opinionators do offer opinions and expected to do so. That's most of their prime time and late night lineup. NBC has been caught in a hoax or two, but their news department seems to make at least a token effort at the facts. They have some commentary shows (mostly on Sundays) and those are loaded with opinions and I would expect them to be.
Now MSNBC does freely mix opinion (often led by an agenda) with facts and chooses not to report upon facts that don't fit their agenda.
By contrast, I am pretty sure that, if a poll showed Trump was up, both NBC and Fox would report it. Maybe they would emphasize different reasons for the success, but they would both report it. During the 2016 Democrat primary season, it seemed to me, if anything, that Fox was cheering for Sanders. With the benefit of hindsight, I can see today that the reason that Fox was covering Sanders in what seemed like a favorable way was that Sanders was actually "saying stuff". Maybe stuff with which I (and presumably many Fox viewers) didn't agree, but he gave Fox something to show. A soundbite or a more lengthy quote, but something to put on the air. Same went for Trump. That wasn't Clinton's campaign strategy (which as nearly as I can tell was more like "Stay quiet. It's your turn. Let opponents bury themselves.") But, people wanted to hear from her and she never really said anything besides "It's my turn" and "Did you hear what my opponent said?...". That and an occasional insult aimed not at her opponent, but at her opponent's supporters and ... well, you know what happened. Insult my candidate and maybe I won't vote for him. That could work out for you. Insult me and maybe my wife won't vote for you! That won't work out for you!

thspfc

McDonalds or Walmart. They're dishonest and inconsiderate companies.

ozarkman417

Getting rid of Walmart would allow for a massive increase in locally owned stores of all kinds. The more money that stays in your local community, the better.

SM-G965U

Henry

Given their recent troubles, I'd get rid of either GM or Chrysler, and spin off all their respective divisions into independent companies. No more badge engineering, and they'd have an even better chance to succeed.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

tolbs17

Wells Fargo is the best.

Bank of America sucks, they charge you too much and they have really bad customer service.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Henry on August 26, 2019, 09:19:11 PM
Given their recent troubles, I'd get rid of either GM or Chrysler, and spin off all their respective divisions into independent companies. No more badge engineering, and they'd have an even better chance to succeed.

Isn't GM pretty healthy again by this point?  I would say Chrysler needs to diversify their lineup but they have a strong presence in truck and SUV markets.  They seem to have the market cornered with large niche coupes and sedans (Challenger/Charger).  I would argue the Challenger has more in common with T-Bird or Monte Carlo or a Mustang or Camaro. 

vdeane

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on August 26, 2019, 09:35:04 PM
Wells Fargo is the best.
I doubt any of the people who were victimized in the account fraud scandal would agree with you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells_Fargo_account_fraud_scandal
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ozarkman417

GM is just the worst when it comes to badge engineering. Off the top of my head I can think of the Suburban/Yukon/Escalade, Encore/Trax, and the Enclave/Traverse (until 2017). Not to mention that several of their vehicles are based off Opel's cars, as they owned that, too (until 2017).

wanderer2575

Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 26, 2019, 09:13:49 PM
Getting rid of Walmart would allow for a massive increase in locally owned stores of all kinds.
SM-G965U

Right, because someone is holding a gun to consumers' heads and forcing them to buy from Amazon and big-box national retailers instead of shopping at locally-owned stores.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 26, 2019, 10:14:03 PM

GM is just the worst when it comes to badge engineering. Off the top of my head I can think of the Suburban/Yukon/Escalade, Encore/Trax, and the Enclave/Traverse (until 2017). Not to mention that several of their vehicles are based off Opel's cars, as they owned that, too (until 2017).

Badge engineering is gradually morphing into "platform sharing."   I would doubt an ATS buyer would cross-shop a Camaro even though they are technically both Alpha Platform cars.  Even companies like Subaru have moved to a single platform line.  At minimum vehicle platforms are more customizable than they were I the past. 

ozarkman417

Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 26, 2019, 10:19:08 PM
Getting rid of Walmart would allow for a massive increase in locally owned stores of all kinds.
SM-G965U

Right, because someone is holding a gun to consumers' heads and forcing them to buy from Amazon and big-box national retailers instead of shopping at locally-owned stores.

People are almost always going to pick the option that is the most convenient & cheap, and that option is Walmart a lot of the time. Without Walmart, people will pick the next best option, and in many places that would end up being a locally owned store or regional chain. Where I live there isn't a secondary chain like Publix, either. 

Max Rockatansky

I might change my entry to the NCAA the new topic on relegation for my gears grinding on how wretched of an organization it really is. 

Beltway

Do you really want to know?

I know of one business that needs to go to the bottomless pit, where it will freefall for ever and ever, never hitting bottom.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 26, 2019, 10:30:22 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 26, 2019, 10:19:08 PM
SM-G965U

People are almost always going to pick the option that is the most convenient & cheap, and that option is Walmart a lot of the time. Without Walmart, people will pick the next best option, and in many places that would end up being a locally owned store or regional chain. Where I live there isn't a secondary chain like Publix, either. 

Without Walmsrt, they go to Target. Or Kmart. Or Bradlees. Or Caldor. Or Ames...

Basically, WalMart is just one in a long line of large department store chains. Eventually, there'll be something else besides WalMart taking over the shopping landscape..and that's basically Amazon.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.