News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: CoreySamson on March 05, 2021, 12:52:54 AM
- When they put 50 packets of ketchup in your bag. Like seriously, I'm not going to use all that ketchup, even if I do really like it, so most of it goes to waste.

I keep all of the extra ketchup in a drawer in my kitchen, to use in cases where the drive thru person shuts the window so fast I can't ask for any ketchup. (I also keep extra fast food sauce cups for the same reason.) Or, to use on burgers that I make at home. I have never actually bought a bottle of ketchup at the store.

- When the cashier tries to get you to try a new side or dessert "for just another dollar." No thanks, I'm fine with what I ordered.

Let's be accurate here: the cashier doesn't give a damn whether you try a new side or dessert. They are required to do this, because some marketing bozo at corporate thinks they'll make more money if they make the cashier ask you to try it. The only reason they do this is because said marketing bozos go through the drive thru sometimes to test if the cashier is indulging them in their bogosity, and tattle if they don't.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 10:17:44 PM
Quote from: US71 on March 04, 2021, 09:33:29 PM
I have a neighbor who can't stop apologizing for minor things, even if I tell her it's no big deal.

Our best friend's wife always says "I'm sorry" when she has no reason to.  Years ago, her then-boyfriend-later-fiancé-now husband kept telling her "Don't apologize, it's a sign of weakness" à la Gibbs, and the two of us started doing it too.  She still does it, and we invariably tell her "Stop apologizing".  Actually, half the time, all we have to do is look at her and she'll say "I know, stop apologizing.  Sorry."

Not to get too heavy on this topic, but I've heard excessive apologizing is often a resulting hangover from long-term abuse. Even when I try to be gentle with someone apologizing for nothing I think they still expect me to do something vicious to them out of habit/experience.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 05, 2021, 04:29:03 AM
Not to get too heavy on this topic, but I've heard excessive apologizing is often a resulting hangover from long-term abuse. Even when I try to be gentle with someone apologizing for nothing I think they still expect me to do something vicious to them out of habit/experience.

Her parents have probably the least abusive demeanor of any I know.  But her personality is generally to be really humble and make peace, so I think it just comes naturally.  It's a good thing, too, because her husband is very strong-headed.  Two strong-headed people don't typically make for a good marriage.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

- When they put 50 packets of ketchup in your bag. Like seriously, I'm not going to use all that ketchup, even if I do really like it, so most of it goes to waste.
Or things like napkins.  Do I really need a wad an inch thick (more annoying because this happens to me at carry-out from a sub place nearby and I could easily just get my own napkins if I want to)?  Stuff like this is why I try to avoid drive-thrus.  You never know what you're going to get.

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 05, 2021, 01:02:18 AM
Let's be accurate here: the cashier doesn't give a damn whether you try a new side or dessert. They are required to do this, because some marketing bozo at corporate thinks they'll make more money if they make the cashier ask you to try it. The only reason they do this is because said marketing bozos go through the drive thru sometimes to test if the cashier is indulging them in their bogosity, and tattle if they don't.
And it won't stop because if even one person didn't look at that part of the menu or feels pressured and/or like going for it, that's an additional sale made due to the policy.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

I'd rather open my fast food bag three miles down the Interstate to find 50 packets of ketchup and 600 napkins, than to open it and find none.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: vdeane on March 05, 2021, 02:42:39 PM
Or things like napkins.  Do I really need a wad an inch thick (more annoying because this happens to me at carry-out from a sub place nearby and I could easily just get my own napkins if I want to)?  Stuff like this is why I try to avoid drive-thrus.  You never know what you're going to get.

I also keep the napkins. They go in a tray in the left-hand cabinet of my office desk, to be used for general paper towel purposes (emergency clean-up of drink spills, cleaning glasses with rubbing alcohol when the microfiber towel doesn't do the trick, cleaning the monitor, containing sneezes, etc.).

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 05, 2021, 01:02:18 AM

I keep all of the extra ketchup in a drawer in my kitchen, to use in cases where the drive thru person shuts the window so fast I can't ask for any ketchup. (I also keep extra fast food sauce cups for the same reason.) Or, to use on burgers that I make at home. I have never actually bought a bottle of ketchup at the store.

- When the cashier tries to get you to try a new side or dessert "for just another dollar." No thanks, I'm fine with what I ordered.

Also, the cashier/order taker doesn't give a shit when you "take your money somewhere else"  because we ran out of something or the ice cream machine broke or whatever. Your mocking us to feel powerful about losing your sale doesn't do anything except make us roll our eyes.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 05, 2021, 03:32:43 PM
... because ... the ice cream machine broke ...

McDonald's, you mean?
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Also, the cashier/order taker doesn't give a shit when you "take your money somewhere else"  because we ran out of something or the ice cream machine broke or whatever. Your mocking us to feel powerful about losing your sale doesn't do anything except make us roll our eyes.

Right? Cashiers are paid by the hour. If you go somewhere else, that just means less work for them. And if the restaurant closes, guess what? They all pay minimum wage and are constantly hiring, so if Burger King goes out of business that cashier will just end up at Taco Bell doing the same thing for the same amount of money. (My wife is always amused when we visit a fast-food place and run into one of my old BK coworkers running drive thru, which still happens some twelve years after I stopped working there. Although I notice it's happened less now that Oklahoma doesn't allow employers to test for marijuana as part of an employment drug screening.)

texaskdog

I hate those little red "new message" bubbles.  I must clear them all out immediately.

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 05, 2021, 03:44:57 PM

Right? Cashiers are paid by the hour. If you go somewhere else, that just means less work for them. And if the restaurant closes, guess what? They all pay minimum wage and are constantly hiring, so if Burger King goes out of business that cashier will just end up at Taco Bell doing the same thing for the same amount of money. (My wife is always amused when we visit a fast-food place and run into one of my old BK coworkers running drive thru, which still happens some twelve years after I stopped working there. Although I notice it's happened less now that Oklahoma doesn't allow employers to test for marijuana as part of an employment drug screening.)

Minimum wage bothers me.  If you pay someone minimum and no more you are saying they are nothing more than a warm body who you expect the absolute minimum.  My 16 year old just got hired for her first job doing fast food for $13/hr.

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on March 05, 2021, 02:43:37 PM
I'd rather open my fast food bag three miles down the Interstate to find 50 packets of ketchup and 600 napkins, than to open it and find none.

have to say i check my order every time because i dont really expect perfection from minimum wage and i check my bag first.  Even the good ones forget condiments, straws, etc.  If you're in a place where they pay their employees decent I expect a lot better

kphoger

Quote from: texaskdog on March 05, 2021, 04:38:09 PM
I hate those little red "new message" bubbles.  I must clear them all out immediately.

I have a notification on my cell phone that there's a message that was unable to be delivered.  If I open the notification and clear it, then it pops again the next time I go into my messages.  I've deleted all message conversations one-by-one, cleared my messaging cache, cleared my messaging data, force-stopped the messaging app, and restarted my phone.  Same thing, no difference.  I can't go back to the stock messaging app instead because it IS the stock messaging app.

:banghead:
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Quote from: texaskdog on March 05, 2021, 04:39:11 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 05, 2021, 03:44:57 PM

Minimum wage bothers me.  If you pay someone minimum and no more you are saying they are nothing more than a warm body who you expect the absolute minimum.  My 16 year old just got hired for her first job doing fast food for $13/hr.

While $13/hr might seem high to you, it's below minimum in Massachusetts.

I do agree that absolutely nobody should be paid $7.25/hr.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

I don't get the gripe anyway.  If there's a minimum wage, then there's bound to be somebody who makes that wage.  And there's bound to be some industry in which it's most common.

Edited to add:   In other words, some jobs take basically no training at all.  In those cases, as harsh as it sounds, you really are just a warm body as far as the employer is concerned.  Now, I don't think fast food restaurant employees should fall into that category, because what they do takes training, ability, and customer service.  But the very concept of a minimum wage doesn't bother me in general.
Male pronouns, please.

GaryV

We haven't ordered pizza since the virus struck.  Because if there's anyone I trust to be healthy while preparing my food, it's not those kids at the pizza place.

My wife has made homemade deep-dish pizza with yeast dough a few times.  That's pretty good.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: GaryV on March 05, 2021, 04:55:39 PM
We haven't ordered pizza since the virus struck.  Because if there's anyone I trust to be healthy while preparing my food, it's not those kids at the pizza place.

My wife has made homemade deep-dish pizza with yeast dough a few times.  That's pretty good.

Obviously do what makes you feel safe, but cooking food kills any potential contamination.  Especially since it would only be on the surface of the food, it would be killed immediately.

Chris

GaryV

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 05, 2021, 05:03:06 PM

Obviously do what makes you feel safe, but cooking food kills any potential contamination.  Especially since it would only be on the surface of the food, it would be killed immediately.

Chris

I'm just being safer about me not having to go into their place of business, or not having to worry about what the driver had while he was breathing in the delivery car.  I know they've said the virus doesn't survive on surfaces (like a pizza box) very long.  We don't sanitize our groceries as we bring them in anymore (after shopping at 6:00 am when the store opens because there's far less people there).  It just feels like something to avoid if we can.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: GaryV on March 05, 2021, 05:10:12 PM

Chris

I'm just being safer about me not having to go into their place of business, or not having to worry about what the driver had while he was breathing in the delivery car.  I know they've said the virus doesn't survive on surfaces (like a pizza box) very long.  We don't sanitize our groceries as we bring them in anymore (after shopping at 6:00 am when the store opens because there's far less people there).  It just feels like something to avoid if we can.

And fair enough.  We were sanitizing groceries back in March 2020 but that ended quickly.  I have some friends that only touch the groceries with gloves and then leave it in the garage for a couple of days before they bring it in. 

Chris

Rothman

Chris

Nah.  You sneeze on a cooked pizza, it's contaminated.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on March 05, 2021, 04:50:22 PM

I have a notification on my cell phone that there's a message that was unable to be delivered.  If I open the notification and clear it, then it pops again the next time I go into my messages.  I've deleted all message conversations one-by-one, cleared my messaging cache, cleared my messaging data, force-stopped the messaging app, and restarted my phone.  Same thing, no difference.  I can't go back to the stock messaging app instead because it IS the stock messaging app.

:banghead:

That happened to me once.  I had to ask my temp to fix it...I don't know what she did.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on March 05, 2021, 08:59:20 PM

That's what I was thinking:  I don't cook my pizza after it's been delivered.

(For the record, I still go to restaurants, and I had Domino's pizza as recently as two weekends ago.)
Male pronouns, please.

texaskdog

Quote from: GaryV on March 05, 2021, 05:10:12 PM

Chris

that's the thing people don't know.  my wife's coworker was exposed to her roommate who had it but it was less than 15 minutes.  so she's told she's okay it was less than 15 minutes.  yet that's not what we're told.  it doesn't spread via surfaces yet we have to sanitize everything.  its 6 feet OR a mask but one is not a substitute for the other, even though some say masks give you immunity to everything, yet if you get the vaccine you still have to wear one.
Quote from: kphoger on March 05, 2021, 09:37:54 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 05, 2021, 08:59:20 PM

That's what I was thinking:  I don't cook my pizza after it's been delivered.

(For the record, I still go to restaurants, and I had Domino's pizza as recently as two weekends ago.)

That local joint named "Duh meenos" 

We had papa johns today.  Of course I'm the poster boy for not following all their mandates.

JoePCool14

This is very much by design, and I hate them.

For the younger crowd on here who can relate, I hate seeing the stupid purple dot on Snapchat on the right tab on stories. So much of the "featured" stuff on there is trash and I avoid swiping right at all costs to avoid. Frankly I hate looking at the vast majority of people's stories on general, but problems related to social media is probably more than just a "minor thing". Heh...

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

kenarmy

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 06, 2021, 08:15:10 PM

This is very much by design, and I hate them.

For the younger crowd on here who can relate, I hate seeing the stupid purple dot on Snapchat on the right tab on stories. So much of the "featured" stuff on there is trash and I avoid swiping right at all costs to avoid. Frankly I hate looking at the vast majority of people's stories on general, but problems related to social media is probably more than just a "minor thing". Heh...
^ YESSSS. And the "spotlight" page is even worse than the featured/ discover page.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.