News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

thenetwork

Quote from: plain on March 14, 2022, 01:22:28 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 14, 2022, 01:09:35 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on March 13, 2022, 11:43:07 PM
While I don't like the Daylight Saving Time as much as anyone, the fact is that it is going to take an act of Congress to kill off this long-time bad idea.

Conversely, I'm bugged by the fact it will take a literal act of Congress to make DST year-round.

That extra hour of daylight when I get home from work can be put to productive uses outside.

Quote from: 1 on March 14, 2022, 09:49:31 AM
Prices such as "2/$4" when you don't need to buy two.

Most places with this pricing scheme will sell you one for $2 unless it's expressly noted, "You must purchase two to qualify for discount; otherwise, individual cost is $2.49" or something similar.

In the part you have in Italics, 7-Eleven is infamous for this.

EXACTLY!!!  C-stores almost always require you to buy the listed quantity to get the sale price.  Especially the soft drinks/power drinks.

XamotCGC

Loud Bass from car speakers
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

CtrlAltDel

The stompy people who live above me. Oh how I hate them.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

LilianaUwU

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 15, 2022, 12:43:46 AM

I'm in the same boat, but not only are the people in the apartment above me noisy, so are those right next to me.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

1995hoo

You're making me think of my fourth year of college when the guys upstairs lifted free weights and dropped them on the floor when they were done, shaking our apartment. Being the mature college guys we were, our solution was to go outside and lob our empty beer cans at their door.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GaryV

My dorm neighbors played loud music late at night. We got them back by cranking up "Hallelujah Chorus" early one Sunday morning as we left the room.

kphoger

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 14, 2022, 06:58:15 PM
Wes - con - sen

People from Wisconsin saying "melk" instead of "milk"
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on March 15, 2022, 07:44:35 AM
My dorm neighbors played loud music late at night. We got them back by cranking up "Hallelujah Chorus" early one Sunday morning as we left the room.

Hehehe.  Kind of reminds me of one Friday evening my dad and I drove up Michigan Avenue in Chicago with the windows down and NPR blasting classical music at full volume.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 15, 2022, 07:39:47 AM

You're making me think of my fourth year of college when the guys upstairs lifted free weights and dropped them on the floor when they were done, shaking our apartment. Being the mature college guys we were, our solution was to go outside and lob our empty beer cans at their door.

Oddly enough, I've described the noise to my friends as them picking up weights and dropping them again and again and again (but that's probably not what it is). And oddly enough still, these people are also litterbugs, and on occasion, I have taken their own half empty cans and thrown them up onto their porch.

Quote from: LilianaUwU on March 15, 2022, 01:27:27 AM

I'm in the same boat, but not only are the people in the apartment above me noisy, so are those right next to me.

The people next to me are talky, but that's easy enough for me to drown out with a box fan.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on March 14, 2022, 05:43:52 PM
More pronunciations that sound like nails on a chalkboard:

Warshington.

Ore-Ayy-Gone.

Pah-Get (somehow this one is not uncommon).

How about Skag-it rather than Skaj-it? I heard the former a lot when that bridge collapsed.

I hear Warshington a lot among older people, I wouldn't get too hung up on it. It's just an accent among older people. Intrusive R's are common in many accents.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on March 15, 2022, 01:47:46 PM

Warshington.

Ore-Ayy-Gone.

How about Skag-it rather than Skaj-it? I heard the former a lot when that bridge collapsed.

I hear Warshington a lot among older people, I wouldn't get too hung up on it. It's just an accent among older people. Intrusive R's are common in many accents.

When I was on family vacation to DC as a kid, I distinctly remember hearing a lot of locals pronouncing their own city's name as Warshington.

From what I've read, it's actually sign that someone is from a long-time, established DC family.  The R-intrusive pronunciation is on the decline, meaning newcomers are actually more likely to pronounce it "correctly".
Male pronouns, please.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kphoger on March 15, 2022, 01:49:16 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 15, 2022, 01:47:46 PM

Warshington.

Ore-Ayy-Gone.

When I was on family vacation to DC as a kid, I distinctly remember hearing a lot of locals pronouncing their own city's name as Warshington.

From what I've read, it's actually sign that someone is from a long-time, established DC family.  The R-intrusive pronunciation is on the decline, meaning newcomers are actually more likely to pronounce it "correctly".

When I was a kid, I thought for the longest time that when you went to the sink, you WARSHED your hands.   That's all I heard my mom say.  Of course that translated to the DC city. 

gonealookin

Most people who have lived in cheap, thin-walled apartments have at some point probably known more about the neighbors' love life than they cared to.

I had an older couple next door who had a weekly tradition, Saturday morning at 8 a.m.  I would have preferred that "alarm clock" to at least go off a little later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: gonealookin on March 15, 2022, 02:43:51 PM

Most people who have lived in cheap, thin-walled apartments have at some point probably known more about the neighbors' love life than they cared to.

I had an older couple next door who had a weekly tradition, Saturday morning at 8 a.m.  I would have preferred that "alarm clock" to at least go off a little later.

I always insisted on living on the top floor when I rented apartments so the stompers wouldn't be an issue.  I bought an industrial use fan at work at one point to drown out all the sex and music noise.  I got so used to sleeping with a droning fan that it was hard to adjust when I moved in with my now wife (who gets cold easy and doesn't like droning noise).

kphoger

When my wife and I were first married, we lived in a two-flat and got to hear the bedroom activities of our upstairs neighbors.  What made it especially awkward was knowing that the guy was engaged to someone other than the chick who was living with him (his fiancée lived in another state).

One night, the two of them had a loud fight.  I got up out of bed, not knowing at first where the noise was coming from.  I looked out the kitchen window and saw our next-door neighbor come out of his house with a baseball bat (presumably to defend whomever needed defending), look up and see who it was that was fighting, and promptly go back inside.  No sympathy there either, I guess.
Male pronouns, please.

JoePCool14

Living in a dorm or apartment for university is kind of like that, although the majority of the time it's not that. Sometimes it's as simple as talking too loudly on the phone at a stupid hour or whatever.

My strategy has been to turn on a fan to at least drown it out in white noise. Sure, it's adding noise, but it's noise that's more tolerable and easy to tune out.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

hbelkins

Years ago, I lived in an apartment and for a short time, a rather amorous couple moved in upstairs. You never knew when the rhythmic shaking and throes-of-passion vocalizations would start.

During that time, my dad came to stay with me for a couple of days because of a power outage at his place. Thankfully the couple upstairs never got in the mood while he was there, or I would have been rather embarrassed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 15, 2022, 03:37:34 PM
Living in a dorm or apartment for university is kind of like that, although the majority of the time it's not that. Sometimes it's as simple as talking too loudly on the phone at a stupid hour or whatever.

During my third year of college, one of the women next door said they could hear us in our apartment whenever we took a leak because the two apartments had the same floor plan in reverse such that the bathrooms backed up against each other. That, in turn, prompted me to drag a chair in there and stand on it to amplify the sound the next time I had to take a leak at a time they'd be likely to hear.

Looking back, the asshole thing we tended to do in that apartment was to play our stereo far too loudly, insanely loudly. Everyone on our floor certainly knew we all loved Boston's first album. At least that year (and the year before) we were on the top floor, so the number of people affected by that was more limited. (Not the same apartment as my fourth year with the free-weights guys upstairs.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JoePCool14

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 15, 2022, 03:58:41 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 15, 2022, 03:37:34 PM

During my third year of college, one of the women next door said they could hear us in our apartment whenever we took a leak because the two apartments had the same floor plan in reverse such that the bathrooms backed up against each other. That, in turn, prompted me to drag a chair in there and stand on it to amplify the sound the next time I had to take a leak at a time they'd be likely to hear.

Looking back, the asshole thing we tended to do in that apartment was to play our stereo far too loudly, insanely loudly. Everyone on our floor certainly knew we all loved Boston's first album. At least that year (and the year before) we were on the top floor, so the number of people affected by that was more limited. (Not the same apartment as my fourth year with the free-weights guys upstairs.)

This year, I've been fortunate to be on the top floor, so I haven't had to deal with as much either. Last year I wasn't on the top floor, although I don't think anyone occupied the room above. The school had significantly less people mostly due to the virus.

I actually had a girl from the floor below come up and complain because my friend and I were playing Smash Bros. and stomping on the floor when we got mad/excited. Otherwise, I've tried my best to be cognizant of others.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 15, 2022, 03:58:41 PM
That, in turn, prompted me to drag a chair in there and stand on it to amplify the sound the next time I had to take a leak at a time they'd be likely to hear.

I can only hope you also moaned with relief.
Male pronouns, please.

GaryV

I thought of another one. My roommate (owner of the afore-mentioned Handel album) was on the track team. If you roll a shot put down the (asbestos-tiled) hall, it sounds like the building is about to collapse.

ZLoth

I consider myself fortunate that I never lived in an apartment.

One thing that has bugged me for the past month is the pestering to update my credit card. :banghead: Yes, I know my credit card is about to expire at the end of the month, but until I actually receive and activate the replacement card, my hands are completely tied. The current card is still good until the end of March. The new one arrived in the mail this morning, and I've updated almost 40 companies that have my credit card information. This is a rewards card that I pay off each month.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like a protest sign?

jeffandnicole

I lived in an apartment for 13 months.  Never heard any odd noises, but the downstairs dwellers cooked some really stinky food.  There were 2 guys in an upstairs apartment (father and adult son maybe) that upped and left in the middle of the night.  Never saw them again.

kkt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 15, 2022, 02:54:50 PM

I always insisted on living on the top floor when I rented apartments so the stompers wouldn't be an issue.  I bought an industrial use fan at work at one point to drown out all the sex and music noise.  I got so used to sleeping with a droning fan that it was hard to adjust when I moved in with my now wife (who gets cold easy and doesn't like droning noise).

Of course the top floor is also hotter than the other floors, which would bother some people.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.