News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmoore952

I also saw the Washington Post Letter to the Editor that 1995hoo mentions above.

And then on Sunday, I bought the NY Times and right on p.2 or 3 of the front section there was an item about "X, formerly known as Twitter".

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on October 14, 2023, 07:10:48 AM
Why do news reports constantly have stories like, "[Someone] posted on X, formerly known as Twitter, saying ..."

We got it already. Is there anyone left on the planet that doesn't know that Twitter is now X?

It simply acknowledges what everyone already knows:  X is a dumb name.  If referencing the former name makes it easier for people to understand the story, then yes, it's worth referencing the former name.  People like me, who have never had a Twitter account and don't care about Twitter, are more prone to forget that it changed its name a while ago.

Quote from: 1 on October 14, 2023, 10:47:04 AM
Everyone should continue to call it Twitter and not even mention X.

Agreed.  And we should continue to call them "tweets" rather than "X posts", which makes it sound like the post was deleted.

Quote from: ZLoth on October 14, 2023, 11:12:47 AM
Can we blame this on the artist known as Prince?

I prefer to call him "the artist formerly and now once again known as Prince".

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 14, 2023, 12:03:52 PM
I quit X too.

It's more proper to say "I left my ex".

Quote from: 1 on October 15, 2023, 08:33:54 PM
This doesn't explain why they can't keep calling it Twitter.

Exactly.  They can, and they probably should (although they may be legally required to also call it X).  Whatever is clearer to their audience is what they should use.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

I never stopped calling it Twitter.

Type x.com into your browser, and it redirects to twitter.com. One would think that twitter.com would redirect to X.com.

As for the generations, I have said this before, but I don't consider myself to be in any named generation. I'm too young to be a Boomer, and too old to be Gen X.

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 15, 2023, 03:49:34 PM
Quote from: GaryV on October 14, 2023, 04:22:26 PMWhat, he doesn't think Illinois is flat?
Not surprisingly, West Virginia was the least flat of the 48 contiguous states.  Flat land is so rare in some parts of the Mountain State that where my father grew up, there were unofficially 3 acres of "flat land" on two adjacent family farms totalling 143 acres.  Two acres of which were on a 45-degree slope about 450 feet up the side of "the hill".  But indeed flat, smooth and also aimed towards the Southern skies where crops could be planted.

I would think that Colorado, by any metric, would rank higher in non-flatness than West Virginia. The highest peaks are 6,000 feet above Denver, while the highest point in West Virginia is around 4,000 feet higher than the lowest point.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on October 16, 2023, 03:35:38 PM
As for the generations, I have said this before, but I don't consider myself to be in any named generation. I'm too young to be a Boomer, and too old to be Gen Twitter.

FTFY

Quote from: hbelkins on October 16, 2023, 03:35:38 PM
I would think that Colorado, by any metric, would rank higher in non-flatness than West Virginia. The highest peaks are 6,000 feet above Denver, while the highest point in West Virginia is around 4,000 feet higher than the lowest point.

Colorado has flat parts. West Virginia does not.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1 on October 16, 2023, 03:37:21 PM

Colorado has sheer cliffs that are 1,000+ feet tall. West Virginia does not. I think we're obviously all saying there are different ways to measure this question.

kphoger

Colorado is both hillier and flatter than West Virginia.

Is that the only way to resolve this?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on October 16, 2023, 04:59:43 PM
Colorado is both hillier and flatter than West Virginia.

Is that the only way to resolve this?

Schrodinger's state.

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 16, 2023, 04:44:00 PM
Quote from: 1 on October 16, 2023, 03:37:21 PM

Colorado has sheer cliffs that are 1,000+ feet tall. West Virginia does not. I think we're obviously all saying there are different ways to measure this question.
Pfft.  CO is definitely flatter than WV.  WV's rocks are bigger.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

One is Rocky Mountain High and the other is Almost Heaven.

ZLoth

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this picture?

This is the result of a 82yo mother watering the plants without me knowing about it because I've protested so many times that it isn't safe. Instead of bringing in a stepladder from the garage, she grabs a 1 foot riser to climb up to the counter, and her foot slipped. The cost of the repair will be $1,200 minimum, and will involve a plumber coming out to disconnect the sink and inspect for pipe damage, followed by a epoxy person to glue the sink back up, followed by the plumber to rehook up the plumbing. It would not surprise me if the original installation used the absolutely cheapest BLEEP around. The work will probably start Wednesday, which means that for a week, the dish washer is out of commission.

Funny thing... if I had caused this in my parents house, ho boy... can you say "grounded" and "under severe restriction"? But, because it's my mother in my house, all I can do is grin and bear it.

I'll let everyone know when the Don'tFundMe page is up....
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like a protest sign?

jakeroot

I think you need a few more sponges. I always have at least 40 on-hand.

US 89

Quote from: thenetwork on October 15, 2023, 10:27:10 PM
Quote from: 1 on October 15, 2023, 08:33:54 PM
This doesn't explain why they can't keep calling it Twitter.

They should take a page from the DOTs over the decades that converted from consecutive exit numbers to mileage-based exit numbers -- have a multi-year transition with both the old and the new names.

Or just go the whole hog. When UDOT had to renumber everything on I-15 through the Wasatch Front, they did the entire thing south to north over a span of a few months. No need for any "old exit xx" business.

ZLoth

Quote from: jakeroot on October 17, 2023, 09:15:53 AMI think you need a few more sponges. I always have at least 40 on-hand.

I had made a Costco run that afternoon and picked up a 24 pack of Scotch-Brite Heavy Duty Scrub Sponges partially because they were $4 off. They should last me a year or three.

J N Winkler

Quote from: ZLoth on October 17, 2023, 08:52:09 AMThis is the result of a 82yo mother watering the plants without me knowing about it because I've protested so many times that it isn't safe. Instead of bringing in a stepladder from the garage, she grabs a 1 foot riser to climb up to the counter, and her foot slipped. The cost of the repair will be $1,200 minimum, and will involve a plumber coming out to disconnect the sink and inspect for pipe damage, followed by a epoxy person to glue the sink back up, followed by the plumber to rehook up the plumbing. It would not surprise me if the original installation used the absolutely cheapest BLEEP around. The work will probably start Wednesday, which means that for a week, the dish washer is out of commission.

I'd say you had a narrow escape, as that kind of a fall can easily lead to lasting debility.  My great-grandmother and her mother spent their last five and eight years respectively (including five years bedridden in both cases) with fractured hips as a result of falls.

Quote from: US 89 on October 17, 2023, 09:58:34 AMOr just go the whole hog. When UDOT had to renumber everything on I-15 through the Wasatch Front, they did the entire thing south to north over a span of a few months. No need for any "old exit xx" business.

Wasn't that to adjust milepointing that was up to four miles off in certain locations?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

ZLoth

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 17, 2023, 10:28:29 AM
Quote from: ZLoth on October 17, 2023, 08:52:09 AMThis is the result of a 82yo mother watering the plants without me knowing about it because I've protested so many times that it isn't safe. Instead of bringing in a stepladder from the garage, she grabs a 1 foot riser to climb up to the counter, and her foot slipped. The cost of the repair will be $1,200 minimum, and will involve a plumber coming out to disconnect the sink and inspect for pipe damage, followed by a epoxy person to glue the sink back up, followed by the plumber to rehook up the plumbing. It would not surprise me if the original installation used the absolutely cheapest BLEEP around. The work will probably start Wednesday, which means that for a week, the dish washer is out of commission.

I'd say you had a narrow escape, as that kind of a fall can easily lead to lasting debility.  My great-grandmother and her mother spent their last five and eight years respectively (including five years bedridden in both cases) with fractured hips as a result of falls.

This is why I am working-from-home full-time despite work being just 15-20 minutes away by foot, and despite the protests of my mother stating "you don't have to worry about me". Sorry mom, your son and your doctor strongly disagree.

hbelkins

Quote from: ZLoth on October 17, 2023, 08:52:09 AM
Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this picture?

This is the result of a 82yo mother watering the plants without me knowing about it because I've protested so many times that it isn't safe. Instead of bringing in a stepladder from the garage, she grabs a 1 foot riser to climb up to the counter, and her foot slipped. The cost of the repair will be $1,200 minimum, and will involve a plumber coming out to disconnect the sink and inspect for pipe damage, followed by a epoxy person to glue the sink back up, followed by the plumber to rehook up the plumbing. It would not surprise me if the original installation used the absolutely cheapest BLEEP around. The work will probably start Wednesday, which means that for a week, the dish washer is out of commission.

Funny thing... if I had caused this in my parents house, ho boy... can you say "grounded" and "under severe restriction"? But, because it's my mother in my house, all I can do is grin and bear it.

I'll let everyone know when the Don'tFundMe page is up....

That sounds overly involved and far too expensive.

My wife and I recently replaced a faucet and a sink drain ourselves. I don't see any damage to the faucet in that photo, and if there is damage to the drain pipe, simply removing and reinstalling a replacement for the damaged section looks like a fairly simple task,

And is there any reason you can't drop the sink back in the hole and seat and seal it yourself? I'm no handyman, and I wouldn't shy away from attempting that job myself.

How does that happen, anyway? I presume the step stool gave way and your mother grabbed onto the sink in an attempt to steady herself, but I don't see how a dislodged sink happens as a result.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ZLoth

Quote from: hbelkins on October 17, 2023, 12:51:10 PMAnd is there any reason you can't drop the sink back in the hole and seat and seal it yourself? I'm no handyman, and I wouldn't shy away from attempting that job myself.

The sink was not dropped in from the top, but rather glued-in from the bottom of the counter. And, I don't have the time, the equipment, or the patience to jack that sink back up again and glue it back in space. As I stated previously, it would not surprise me if they used the cheapest adhesive to affax the sink to the granite. I do know that, from past experience, going "cheap" tends to be expensive in the long run, while paying a little more for quality ends up bring cheaper in the long run.

Quote from: hbelkins on October 17, 2023, 12:51:10 PMHow does that happen, anyway? I presume the step stool gave way and your mother grabbed onto the sink in an attempt to steady herself, but I don't see how a dislodged sink happens as a result.

She literally climbed onto the counter. When her leg slipped, her right root ended up in the left side of the sink and down it went. She is paying 100% for the repairs.

tmoore952

Ditto with my mother (still living) who is now 95, she has fractured both hips due to falls. My brother lives with her full-time and takes care of her (he is a saint). Thankfully he is also retired. I think my mom indicated she wanted to spend her remaining days at home (did not want to go to assisted living) and my brother is honoring that request.

kkt

Wow, she is lucky.  It could have easily been much worse.

SSOWorld

Quote from: tchafe1978 on October 15, 2023, 11:37:46 PM
So are tweets now called X-crements? Or X-cretions? Is the act of tweeting now called X-creting? Inquiring minds want to know.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

US 89

Quote from: US 89 on October 17, 2023, 09:58:34 AMOr just go the whole hog. When UDOT had to renumber everything on I-15 through the Wasatch Front, they did the entire thing south to north over a span of a few months. No need for any "old exit xx" business.

Wasn't that to adjust milepointing that was up to four miles off in certain locations?

It was. The reason it was off is because when exit numbers were introduced across Utah in the early 1980s, there was still a big gap in I-15 from Scipio to south of Mona (apparently known as the "Nephi Death Strip" or "Levan Death Strip") and the ultimate alignment of 15 through Nephi and southern Juab County remained unclear. That meant UDOT had to guess how long the unconstructed stretch was going to be in order to number everything from Mona north. They guessed too high.

vdeane

John Gray said "X, which we always call Twitter" on this week's Empire State Weekly.  The graphic even used the old logo.  I'm not linking to it directly since the show is about New York state politics, but it's on news10.com (News -> Empire State Weekly -> the most recent episode from today (on the left as of right now) -> about 9:50 in).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

I recently heard a lady on NPR completely fall over herself when she realized she'd said Twitter.
Male pronouns, please.

thspfc

I'm too perplexed by what Elon has done to care about what anyone calls the social media platform formerly known as Twitter.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: kphoger on October 20, 2023, 09:40:52 PM
I recently heard a lady on NPR completely fall over herself when she realized she'd said Twitter.
You'd think NPR would be those who willingly refuse to say X to refer to Twitter.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.