News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Severe Weather 2020

Started by MNHighwayMan, January 10, 2020, 03:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

First major severe weather outbreak expected today in the central south.

Meanwhile, in Iowa, I've been getting freezing rain, and am expecting up to nine inches of snow from now through the weekend. :)

kphoger

grrrr.....  This morning, they were calling for 2-5 inches of snow by the end of tomorrow.  Now snow has been removed from the forecast altogether, and only freezing rain tonight remains.  I WANTED SNOW!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

We are supposed to get the tail end of this in Atlanta tomorrow. While we won't be seeing any winter weather, we have a slight risk for severe thunderstorms and a wind advisory was just issued this afternoon. Instability will be the key to whether the line of storms is still severe by the time it makes it out here.

Terry

Extreme cold for the north and western Canada. perhaps rising to around freezing in Alberta by the 22nd. Locally, -38C (-36.4F) forecast for Monday night. Overall, highs in the mid to high -20s C, lows in the low -30s. These temps don't include windchills, which could push into the -40s or lower. The Arctic high will also cause problems in the US until it moves off.

Environment Canada isn't the best, so here's links to current conditions, forecasts and watches/warnings:

https://weather.gc.ca/canada_e.html
https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html

Tropical Tidbits is a better site for regional and worldwide temperature, precipitation and pressure. Forecasts up to 384 hours in advance. No local info, though.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

thspfc

The cold front that brought the thunderstorms to the south is dunking on us with snow. Areas near me are expected to get a foot.

ozarkman417

A suburb of Springfield received some tornado damage and I got dunked on with Rain and Hail. Tomorrow there could be up to 0.2" of ice. When snow is in the forecast for Springfield it almost always changes to Freezing Rain. The last time Springfield had a good snow was MLK weekend, 2018.

ce929wax

We are supposed to get rain and then ice tomorrow afternoon here in SW Michigan.  No severe weather expected, but one of the local TV meteorologists said that there could be a few rumbles of thunder or flashes of lightning.  Next week, we are supposed to have one day in the 20's.  Temperatures and sunshine has been above average so far this winter.

JMoses24

While you all are saying you got "dunked on"...I got...ready for this...absolute bupkus. No severe, no tornadoes. Barely a drop of rain! We even missed out on the flippin' snow!

bing101

renegade

Fuck.  I was supposed to be there this week.  I am thankful I was not.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

UnumProvident101

I'm from Chattanooga, TN and we usually don't get tornadoes except when we had that bad tornado outbreak of April 2011

US71

Monroe, Louisiana took a hit early this morning.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

CoreySamson

I saw something on the Weather Channel suggesting an EF4-5 tornado in southeast Mississippi earlier today. Does anyone here know anything about that storm? I can't find anything else about it. It clearly didn't do a ton of damage, but something that big is serious.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

US71

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 12, 2020, 08:31:28 PM
I saw something on the Weather Channel suggesting an EF4-5 tornado in southeast Mississippi earlier today. Does anyone here know anything about that storm? I can't find anything else about it. It clearly didn't do a ton of damage, but something that big is serious.

Per Clarion-Ledger
As of early Sunday evening, there were three confirmed fatalities in Jefferson Davis county, two confirmed fatalities and others reported missing in Lawrence County and one confirmed fatality in Walthall County from Sunday's stream of tornadoes.

I can find nothing about ratings/intensity, but there have been a number of storms with lots of damage.

US 89

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 12, 2020, 08:31:28 PM

That news headline came from a discussion issued by the Storm Prediction Center. Multiple tornado emergencies (the highest level of tornado warning) were issued over the course of the storm's lifetime. It hasn't been officially rated yet, and damage reports are still coming in, but it had one of the strongest and most ominous radar signatures I've ever seen. Almost reminded me of the Moore EF5.

It's important to remember that a tornado's EF-scale rating is determined by the level of damage it causes, and this could end up being a case where a lower rating is assigned simply because it didn't have an opportunity to cause higher-level damage - there's only so much you can do to a forest or a cornfield. This sort of thing has happened before: by all accounts, the 2013 El Reno tornado was one of the strongest tornadoes ever observed, and likely would have been rated EF5 had it struck any major populated places. Instead, it stayed mostly over rural farmland and was rated "only" EF3.

US71

US 89

Quote from: US71 on April 13, 2020, 11:27:45 AM
Mississippi had two EF-5's at the same time, roughly 30 miles apart.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/04/mississippi-hit-with-two-catastrophic-ef5-tornadoes-at-the-same-time-this-is-flattening-everything-in-its-path/

That is an exceptionally misleading, sensationalized article. While there were two devastating tornadoes in the same area of MS yesterday, as of the time of this post, neither of those tornadoes has even received a preliminary damage rating yet. The only accurate information in there is that the radar signatures of the storms were impressive and suggested the possibility of tornadoes that could produce EF5 damage.

Unfortunately, headlines like this are all too common these days. This is what happens when you pull unverified information straight from social media and turn it into a news story without really doing any sort of fact checking with official sources.

UnumProvident101

my hometown was hit by an EF3+ tornado with winds of 145 mph but it hit East Brainerd but it missed us since I live outside of the Red Bank city limits
https://fox17.com/news/local/severe-weather-causes-major-local-damage-late-sunday-night

US71

Fayetteville, Arkansas is reporting snow.  Just cold rain here below the mountain :)

CoreySamson

Here's the tornado I was thinking of.

https://weather.com/safety/tornado/news/2020-04-16-mississippi-tornado-widest-state-record-easter-sunday

Third-widest tornado on record in the US, and widest on record in Mississippi. It was indeed an EF4.

My Route Log
My Clinches

CNGL-Leudimin

I've seen a tornado warning was issued earlier today for an area of Idaho, around I-84 right North of the Utah border. Now that is crazy.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CoreySamson

Meanwhile, my home county has had 2 tornado warnings from separate storms in the past two weeks. And Houston isn't part of Tornado Alley.

My Route Log
My Clinches

SSOWorld

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/ww0426.html

The above link is to the Monday WW that preceded the derecho that flattened Cedar Rapids and caused lots of damage elsewhere in Iowa and Illinois - a flare from it hit southwest Wisconsin.  I was in that area.  The day 1 outlook had a MDT risk for the area (I'd say high was the proper risk)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.